Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The reality of prison sets in.....

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 14

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

The commons area sounded like a hive of buzzing bees. All the women were anxiously waiting to hear their name because today was mail call. For some, it was their only contact with family and friends. Others waited for crayon drawings or painted pictures from their children. All packages were opened, inspected, and, more often than not, sampled by the guards before being distributed.

 

Allie and Cassidy chose a table in the far corner. Neither expected mail, and they preferred to separate from the crowd. As the guard called the names, the volume in the room got higher and higher.

Squeals of delight with friends sharing pictures or letters; or someone crying and distraught from bad news from home filled every corner. Disgruntled voices arose from those who didn’t hear their name called.

 

An officer picked up an opened box and looked inside. “Woohoo! Look at the goodies in here, Sandra.” She pulled out a tube of lipstick, applied it to her lips before tossing it across the room. Hands and arms flew up in the air, trying to snag the projectile. The excited winner strutted around her table like a peacock.

 

“Thanks, Heddy, it’s just my shade.” 

 

Heddy reached inside the box and pulled out a small sample bottle of cologne, and sprayed it on her arm, waving it under another guard’s nose. Again, she tossed it up in the air and watched the girls scramble across the floor, scratching and clawing to claim the prize.

 

“Okay, Heddy, you’ve had enough fun for the day.” The second guard shook her head. “Call the name so we can get this over with, will you?”

 

Heddy shrugged, “Spoilsport! Just having a little fun.” She looked at the box label and chuckled under her breath. “This is going to be a riot, Sandra.” 

 

Heddy cleared her throat and yelled, “Cassidy Rotello, front, and center.”

 

Cassidy’s head jerked toward Allie. Pure fear registered in her eyes. “Is this a joke?”

 

“I don’t know, Cassidy, but you better go.”

 

Cassidy stood and slowly moved through the tables toward Heddy as the other women mocked and teased her.

 

“Ooooo! The newbie got a present from home.”

 

“Cassidy’s got a boyfriend. Cassidy’s got a boyfriend.”

 

“Honey, remember you gotta share with your friends.”

 

“Come on, girls, you never heard of Christmas in July.”

 

“Share, hell. I’ll just take it off the cutie’s hands.” 

 

A burst of laughter filled the room as Cassidy reached Heddy. The guard sneered and handed Cassidy the box. “Good luck, newbie.” Cassidy didn’t understand the comment, but she didn’t wait to ask either. She turned and headed back to Allie.

 

Cassidy’s knees were shaking as she hunched over and collapsed on the bench. She dropped the box in front of Allie.

 

“Who’s it from, Cassidy? There’s no return address.”

 

“I have no idea, but it wasn’t a friend. I didn’t think I’d make it back here.”

 

The alarm bell rang, and Sandra’s voice bellowed over everyone’s heads, “Okay, single file, ladies. It’s time to return to home sweet home.” Not to be outdone, Heddy screamed, “Quiet!” 

 

Everyone started to line up and file through the door. Allie and Cassidy fell in near the end. As they walked down the hallway, Allie sensed a change in the crowd. Whispering had grown louder. As they neared their cell, a stray leg tripped Cassidy and sent her sprawling. Another arm wrapped around Allie, holding her against the bars. Sample bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, and cologne rolled everywhere while a sea of hands reached for them. A whistle sounded, and Allie was shoved, falling crosswise on Cassidy.

 

“On your feet! In your cells, now.”  Heddy wasn’t laughing anymore.

 

Allie snapped, “Get in the cell, Cassidy.”  

 

On hands and knees, she scrambled into the 8x10 room. It looked like heaven at the moment. Allie grabbed the box with its remaining contents and crawled through the door as the bars shut, scraping the side of her foot.

 

Beads of sweat covered Cassidy’s forehead. She leaned against the bottom bunk, shaking violently. Allie slid across the floor and wrapped her arms around her friend. She closed her eyes and fought the wave of nausea.  

 

“It’s okay. Don’t cry.” Allie rocked Cassidy back and forth, softly whispering, “Don’t cry.”

 

“Oooh, pretty little Cassidy, don’t cry. Boohoo!”

 

A chorus of women joined in the mocking, crying, “Boohoo. Boohoo.” 

 

Raucous laughter filled the corridor.

 

Once Cassidy gained control, Allie grabbed the box and looked inside. 

 

“Cassidy, it looks like there’s a letter taped inside.” She started to pull it out, but Cassidy snatched the box and peered inside. Her eyes widened, and she handed it back to Allie.”

 

“What is it, Cassidy?” Allie could see that the letter had upset her cellmate.

 

“It’s… it’s from Mason. I recognize his handwriting. I haven’t spoken to him since my arrest. Why now?”

 

“Guilty conscience, maybe? Worried you might have a secret and tell someone.” 

 

“Secret? What do you mean?” Cassidy moved away from Allie. “I already told you we loved each other. What other secret could I have?”

 

Allie recognized she was approaching dangerous territory with Cassidy. She needed to tread slowly, or Cassidy would clam up again. “I’ve never pried into your life. You said you’re innocent, and I believe you.”

 

“I am innocent!”

 

Another inmate yelled out, “I’m innocent. I’m innocent.”

 

“We’re all innocent, honey!”

 

The other women laughed and repeated the chant. Cassidy kicked the box across the cell.

 

“I didn’t kill anyone. I couldn’t.” Cassidy dropped her shoulders and looked at Allie. With little conviction, she added, “I don’t have any secrets.” The letter slipped from her hand, and she bent to retrieve it.

 

“You going to read it?” Allie was dying to know what the jerk had written, but she couldn’t push too hard. “Or give it to me, I’ll read it.”

 

“No, I’ll read it. It’s probably filled with how he misses me and all that mushy stuff.” Cassidy’s cheeks turned a faint pink. She unfolded the letter and read...

 

Dear Cassidy,

 

I hope this letter finds you doing well under the circumstances. Sofia packed you a few necessities she thought you might be able to use and had a courier drop them off at the prison. Of course, I couldn’t possibly do it myself. You know how this town gossips.

 

Do you remember Senator Barbara Christy? She’s invited me to cruise the Bahamas for a few weeks on her luxurious yacht. She’s got a business deal she wants to discuss. You don’t think she means monkey business, do you?

 

By the way, your mother’s care is continuing for now. I trust you know what I mean. I’m sorry things worked out the way they did.

 

I hope life isn’t too unbearable. Let Jon know if you need anything, and Sofia will make arrangements to get it to you. She’s such a dear.

 

Mason

 

Cassidy crumpled the letter and tossed it across the room. “I hate him.” 

 

Her angry words were usurped by her facial expression. Pure, unadulterated vengeance oozed from her clenched jaw, furrowed brows, and reddened skin. Her balled fists pressed against her legs. The mounting pressure snapped her tightly wound nerves and the floodgates opened, spilling the tears.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.