General Poetry posted July 26, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
tanka prose

tanka prose (dawn)

by Janet Foor

 

Startled from my slumber, I awake to the eerie wailing of Loons on the lake. Peering out my cabin window I see two red-eyed birds floating near the dock among the tall cattails.  Their ethereal call gives me goose bumps as I shiver in the chill of the morning air.  Quickly, I gather my fluffy robe and flip-flops and scurry to the porch.  The sound of the wild permeates my senses as it echoes along the shore. The pale powder blue sky brightens as night slowly fades and a glorious autumn day takes its place.  Hawks circle overhead searching for breakfast.  A big mouth bass jumps and snatches a tasty dragonfly leaving ripples in its wake.  Golden leaves flutter from the nearby Aspen trees and are carried away by a gust of wind. Once more the air vibrates with ghostly reverberations.  I'm reminded of another time and place when we were young and camping in the back country of the Adirondack Mountains.  It was a grand adventure in a simpler era when our biggest challenge was, “Would we catch enough fish for dinner?” 
 


wisps of fog
pirouette on still water
sunrise
rainbow trout  
sizzle over the campfire


 



Recognized

#24
July
2021


Tanka prose is a poetic form combining two modes of writing, verse and prose.
There are three distinct parts to tanka prose -- title, the prose, and the ending tanka.

The title is unique and not repeated in the prose or tanka.
The prose represents an instant in time where something is happening. Other than articles and conjunctions, words should not be repeated in the prose.
The tanka usually concludes the poem. It is a five line poem with 31 syllables or less written in a short-long-short-long-long format.

It's a hot day here in NC so I guess I was thinking of cooler and simpler times and places. :))))
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by alaskapat at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janet Foor All rights reserved.
Janet Foor has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.