Supernatural Science Fiction posted July 19, 2021 Chapters:  ...72 73 -74- 75... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Stranger/Part One

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It is not edited, so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. I hope you enjoy!
A sharp voice filtered through the small group like the crack of a whip. “Has our guests arrived?”

Two guards turned rapidly, stiffening with fear.

“Yes, Dr. Michaels,” said a stalky guard as he nervously rose from behind a desk and approached the physician. “The Breedline found the door. It won’t be long now.”

“Excellent,” said the physician, the skin around his mouth peeling back in a devilish grin. The deep lines on his forehead and the crow’s-feet around his dark eyes told his age, along with the abundance of gray mixed in with his coal-black hair. “They’re in a bit of a surprise.” He let out a little chuckle, but it sounded more like a mad cackle.

There was a slight shift in the air, and then a tall, lanky man stepped into the room. He moved toward the guard’s desk without as much as a word. His eyes were fixated on a large monitor that displayed several images of the underground tunnel. He stood there staring in suspended silence, watching the camera footage. It captured a huge male with a short-trimmed dark Mohawk, leading the way. Two tall, blond, long-haired men, who looked identical, followed close behind the Mohawk guy. A wolfish creature—the woman who’d been cursed—crept behind the two blond-headed twins. Four other men, of which one looked vaguely familiar and another who he sensed was something other than a Breedline, tailed the others. The remaining two were obviously human. He could always pick out a human among his kind. It was something about their weaknesses, their vulnerability, and their eyes. They were the windows to their souls. He could sense they were good people, and for the exception of the two humans, they were very powerful.   

He continued to watch as the group cautiously traveled down a dark corridor, some of them were packing weapons, and others had portable lights, guiding their way. They were all oblivious to what lay ahead. A trap waiting to be sprung, and hopefully, one they could not easily escape. He needed them. He was desperate for their help.

When he finally averted his eyes from the cameras and focused them on Dr. Michaels, he remained silent, his expression unreadable. His bloodred eyes were unnatural, almost hypnotizing, and somewhat terrifying. They blazed like fire. Although he looked a bit sickly, his skin as pale as a corpse, his features were still handsome. The perfect contours of his face were both regal and masculine, resembling the Greek statue of Michelangelo’s David. The veins beneath his pasty skin looked like a roadmap of tiny webs of purples and blues. His long, pale-blond hair was pulled away from his frosty face and tied back with a strip of white lace. The getup he wore accentuated his thinness and gave off an iconic Jim Morrison fashion and an old blue-blooded aristocrat vibe: Tight black leather pants, white collared shirt with cuffed sleeves, and a pair of black leather Italian riding boots. The combination teetered between a vampire and a rock musician all rolled into one.

The vampirish looking man didn’t waste time with pleasantries. A snarl protruded over his plump, upper lip, revealing an ivory tip of a fang. “The Breedline are quite persistent.” His tone was snobbish, seemingly cruel. “They have no idea what real monsters are made of.”

“Indeed,” said the physician, clasping his hands behind his back. “Indeed, they do not.”

“There are humans among the Breedline,” said the pale-faced man. “Why?”

“They are the two detectives involved with shutting down the Summit Behavioral Institute.”

“And how did they learn of us?”

“I can assure you,” the physician quickly replied. “They know nothing of you. But somehow,” he paused, releasing a sigh, “they managed to hack into the institute’s system and retrieve their files.”

The pale-faced man looked annoyed, his eyes appearing darker.  “I do not want the two humans harmed, nor the Breedline for that matter.”

There was a beat of silence as if the physician was weighing his words. “I have no intentions of harming any of them.” He lied. “They will be released as soon as I get what I need.” 
      
“And what of the cursed woman?” asked the pale-faced man, his bloodred eyes lit with interest. “Do you plan to keep her alive as well?”

The physician nodded, feeling the stare of haunting eyes upon him.

“Oh?” the pale-faced man’s eyebrow shot up. “She killed your children, did she not?”

A spark of grief crossed the physician’s face, but it quickly passed. “Yes, it’s true,” he said, regretting his decision to send them into the underground tunnel, knowing they were unstable. “She killed my LaToya and Abraham.” He paused and swallowed, his Adams apple visibly bobbing. “But it was in self-defense, so I have no ill will toward Miss McCain. And of course, she will not be harmed.” He lied again. “It’s pertinent that she remains alive.”  

“And what purpose will she serve you?”

A slow smile seeped onto Dr. Michaels’ face. “She has a rare gift. The immortal creature within her will benefit my research.” 
 
The pale-faced man stepped closer, seeming to loom over Dr. Michaels. His crawling, bloodred gaze slid over the physician in questionable doubt. “How so?”

Dr. Michaels unclasped his hands and leaned forward, arching a brow. “Ah, good question, Lenny. My dear old friend.”

He emphasized the word old because, in fact, the physician’s pale-faced friend was indeed old. Eighteenth-century old. Although, his youthful appearance oddly suggested otherwise. He looked to be in his late twenties. Leonard Saxon, III, or Lenny for short, was born on October 21st, 1805, during the war between Britain and France. Living most of his life in Italy, it wasn’t until the passing of his parents in 1830, due to the major influenza epidemic, that he left his homestead and established a new life in America.

It was an exciting time, where railroad building marked history, the year Emily Dickinson was born, and when he met Augustus Rutherford II.

Lenny, being an only child, grew rather fond of Augustus in such a short time. He was like a brother to Lenny. An older brother. They’d crossed paths a month after Lenny settled in Manhattan, New York and found work as a saloon keeper and bartender at McFarley’s Old Ale House. He’d acquired the trade from his father, growing up in the little rundown tavern they’d owned back in Italy. His father taught him everything about bartending: Mixing cocktails, including some of his own concoctions, and sometimes while juggling bottles, cups, and mixers. After his parents’ death, the business had already begun to fail and when he was forced to sell, it barely brought enough to pay for the trip to America and suitable lodging. He’d rented a room above the saloon where he’d befriended the owner, Mr. Jaime McFarley, who originated from Ireland in the early 1800s.

A year into Lenny and August’s—short for Augustus—friendship, he offered him a rather peculiar proposition. He’s asked Lenny to quit his job at the saloon and come to live with him and his fraternal twin sister, Amelia.
At first, Lenny wasn’t sure if this was such a good idea. He’d always been hardworking, and never one to take handouts. His parents had brought him up with morals, integrity, and good work ethics. But now, he had no close ties to family back in Italy, or close friends for that matter. So, with much deliberation, he finally made the decision to accept August’s proposal, although he did not leave his employment. Rather, not right away. Besides, August and Amelia came from money. Old money. A fortune passed down over multiple generations. And they had more than enough room in their luxurious mansion to accommodate him and at least twenty or more. This new life in America was starting to take off in a direction he hadn’t expected. Though he’d thought.

The two siblings lived an extremely comfortable and elegant lifestyle. Lenny hadn’t the privilege to such lavish things in an upper-class world. He didn’t grow up exactly poor neither. His family never went without food, clothing, or shelter, but by no means were they wealthy.

After a few years, Amelia and Lenny’s friendship eventually evolved. Their fondness for one another grew and developed into something more. As their passion blossomed, so did his friendship with August. The three of them were practically inseparable.

It wasn’t until the fall of 1833 when things took a turn in the opposite direction. Ongoing reports of mutilated bodies of men and women were discovered in the Hudson River. Their throats had been torn and their hearts gone missing. The findings also claimed that all the victims had been completely drained of their blood. Just when things couldn’t get any worse, the unimaginable happened. Weeks later, August and Amelia introduced Lenny to a mysterious and secret underground group they’d kept hidden. That’s when he learned the meaning of Vampirism and all the Vampires in Manhattan. But that’s entirely another story.

To be continued. . .




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and characters used in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He the head physician at A&E (Adam and Eve) Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to experiment on his patients to create a new species.

Artwork: Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.