Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 16, 2021 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Detective John Dutton Novelette

A chapter in the book Shape Shifter

Shape-Shifter Part Three

by Brett Matthew West

Her gait brisk, Doctor Dorothina Fairchild, the renown Chair of the Gynecology Department of the Water Lakes Regional Medical Center, walked down the darkened corridor on the east side of the medical facility. She made a quick note to report the lighting outage to Facilities so the discrepancy could be corrected.

A busybody by nature, Dorothina's reddish hair was pulled into a tight bun on top of her head. A closet hobby painter, Dorothina recalled the upcoming Art Show in Baldwin Park she planned to attend Saturday afternoon. Hospital rounds she'd leave to underlings. In Dorothina's mind, that's all most of them were good for.

"The flimsy louts!" Dorothina mumbled to herself as she neared the parking garage where her brand new Lexus stood at the ready.

The night air remained quiet and felt empty. Dorothina liked this solitude where she could collect her thoughts. Often, Dorothina did not rack her brain at all. Tonight, Dorothina mused on the death of a newborn earlier that morning. Nothing could be done for the blue little girl with her umbilical cord wrapped snug around her neck.

Dorothina simply filled out and signed the state mandated paperwork. She offered little comfort to the grief-stricken young mother. Instead, Dorothina strolled to the cafeteria for lunch consumption. After all, the infant wasn't the first stillborn Dorothina had encountered in her illustrious career. She doubted it would be the last.

Maintaining her theory about death, and the extensive cosmos, Dorothina believed death could be no scarier than a good Alfred Hitchcock flick, or an even better Edgar Allen Poe book. On the other hand, Dorothina wouldn't offer two bits of a hen's teeth for coming into the world.

A street person appeared from out of nowhere. His unexpected presence snapped Dorothina's drifted mind back to the moment. His baggy jeans, and ripped jacket, startled Dorothina, especially when the stranger pressed against her side almost attached to her right arm.

"Hello, Dorothina. What an excellent night for a late night stroll," the man said as if he'd known her a lengthy time.

Putting up a brave front, Dorothina responded, "You shouldn't go around spooking people."

"And, you shouldn't be out here alone," the unknown man retorted. "You should have stayed in your office. Or at least, had Security escort you out. Never know what danger lurks in unknown shadows."

Goosebumps crawled across the back of Dorothina's ample neck. She was very much afraid and pushed the man off her side saying, "Get out of here!" Her vehicle ten steps away, Dorothina quickened her steps.

The street man matched Dorothina's pace and said, "Doctor Fairchild, you shouldn't be so hasty. The attitude does not suit you."

"Go! Get away from me!" Dorothina barked though no one was around to hear her desperate wails.

The man swung a fist and knocked Dorothina down. She fell with a thud and her pulse raced rapid. Dorothina could not see out of her swollen eye.

She screamed, "Are you out of your mind, you insane lunatic!"

The powerful stranger answered her, "Of course I'm out of my mind. At least, that's what all the news reports claim about me. I'm Karl Adler and you are next!"

(TO BE CONTINUED:)




usa police car, by Hagan, W., selected to complement my novelette.

So, thanks Hagan, W., for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my novelette.








To catch up with the first two parts of this novelette click on the blue numbers on top of the page
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.