Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 16, 2021 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Wondering if this slam-dunk trial was fair

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 5

by Begin Again




Background
A story of loss, deceit, murder, and crime......
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious, especially since the murders of the previous owners are unsolved.










 

Judge Layla Anderson wasted no time in quieting the courtroom. Hayden was a small town, and a murder trial was a major event. The spectators gathered as if it was a major film at Saturday Night Movie theater. The scale of excitement rated higher than last year’s county fair. 

Sofia Vasquez, the state’s star witness, fidgeted on the witness stand. Her eyes remained focused on a frayed thread dangling from the bottom of her shawl. Sofia’s fingernail sliced at the string like a dull knife. The edges frayed under her rubbing fingers. She refused to look at all the faces gawking at her from the crowded courtroom. Goosebumps peppered her arms, and she felt like the two-headed woman on a carnival sideshow.

Blake Jenson, prosecutor and long-time friend of Mason Caldwell, paced back and forth in front of the jury box, nodding, and offering a smile. He stopped and gazed across the crowded courtroom, aware of how the next few moments would affect the case and his future. His eyes met Mason’s and moved on to the defendant, Cassidy Rotello, and her lawyer, Barbara Jackson. 

He’d dated Barbara a few times. She was a talented lawyer, with ethics and belief in her clients. He felt a fleeting twinge of regret but brushed it aside. The cards were stacked against Barbara and her client, regardless of how thoroughly she’d presented her case. 

Blake stepped closer to the witness box. “Sofia, are you ready to continue?” The sound of his voice caressed his witnesses’ jittery nerves. “Just answer the questions with the truth. Nothing else.”

Sofia lifted her head and glanced at him. Her weathered face spoke of a hard and difficult life. Her guarded eyes hid the true story. She let her head drop again.

“Sofia, were you working at Mr. Caldwell’s ranch on the day of his wife’s murder?”

“Yes, sir. Mrs. Caldwell was expecting company, and she demanded I make her home beautiful.”

“Please tell the court what you saw that day.”

“I was busy preparing food and cleaning the kitchen. The Caldwells prefer I do my work and not be in the way.”

“Of course, Sofia. I am sure you are an excellent housekeeper and do as you are told.” Sofia raised her head and looked at her employer sitting in the front row. His cold, dark eyes offered no look of encouragement. She nodded to the prosecutor and stared at her lap.

“Now, Sofia, I’ll rephrase the question. Did you see Mrs. Caldwell that afternoon?”

“Oh yes, sir. I served her a fruit plate and an ice-cold lemonade, from fresh-squeezed lemons. Just like Mrs. Caldwell liked it.”

“And where did you serve Mrs. Caldwell? Was she inside the home?”

“No, sir, Mrs. Caldwell, she loved the sun. She was lounging in her favorite spot, near the pool.”

Blake paused and glanced around the room, allowing his gaze to linger on the jurors. He orchestrated the tension in the room, building toward the crescendo. The spectators were sitting on the edge of their seats, waiting for the clash of the cymbals.

“Sofia, was Mrs. Caldwell alone?” Her eyes darted back and forth as she bit her lower lip. “I asked if anyone else was with Mrs. Caldwell?”

Sofia took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and exhaled. “Yes, Mr. Caldwell’s secretary, Miss Cassidy.” Sofia pressed her thin lips together and toyed with the frayed string. 

“Sofia, is Miss Cassidy in the courtroom?” 

The housekeeper pointed to the defendant without ever raising her head to look at Cassidy or her lawyer. Chaos erupted in the room. Judge Anderson pounded the gavel. “Quiet! Order in the court!”


With silence restored, the prosecutor stepped toward the defendant’s table, ready to deliver his final killing blow. Cassidy buried her face in her hands. Blake addressed the courtroom with a strong, confident voice. “Let the court record show that Sofia Sanchez has pointed to the defendant, Cassidy Rotello.”

With an arrogant tilt of his chin, he returned to his seat, winking at Mason before he reclaimed his chair.

Cassidy jumped from her chair, tipping it backward on the floor. Tears streamed from her mascara-smeared eyes. She shrieked, “She’s lying. I was never there.”  

Cassidy’s outburst and the prosecutor’s theatrical production stunned Barbara Jackson. Her delayed reaction in grabbing her client offered Cassidy one last, desperate plea, “Why are you doing this to me, Sofia? Why?” 

Pandemonium broke loose. So much was taking place at once, Alyssa felt like her head would come unhinged. She wanted to catch everyone’s reactions. 

Mason Caldwell stood and reached across the rail to shake Blake’s hand. Then, with his female friend trailing close behind, he made his way to the back of the courtroom. As he reached the priest, he stopped and whispered something to him. Mason took something from his suit jacket pocket and handed it to the priest. Alyssa’s curiosity was off the charts.

What could Mason have given the priest? Or maybe a generous thank you gift for praying for his wife? Or did the seedy casino owner ask for prayers for his own soul? 

As Mason left the courtroom, Alyssa noticed the cowboy had disappeared. She wouldn’t have pegged him as a friend of Mason Caldwell. The gavel demanded she move her attention back to the front of the courtroom.

“Order! Order!” The judge stood behind her bench and rapped the gavel against the wood repeatedly. “Order or I will have the room cleared. Ms. Jackson, instruct your client to be seated and to remain quiet.”

Barbara grabbed Cassidy’s chair and set it upright. She pressed her hand against her client’s arm. “Cassidy, sit down, please.”

Instead, Cassidy stepped aside, letting Barbara’s hand fall away. Broken and hopeless, Cassidy placed her hands on the table to steady her trembling body and yelled, “Sofia, you know I am innocent. I am innocent!”

Poised and satisfied, Blake sat at the prosecutor’s table, enjoying the jury’s reaction to the show. Everything had gone as planned.

“Ms. Anderson, unless you can control your client, I will have her removed from the courtroom.” Beating her gavel once again, she sighed and added, “This court will take a fifteen-minute break so you can school your client on proper court etiquette.”

A defeated Cassidy collapsed into the chair and let the tears fall. Barbara glared across the aisle at Blake before attempting to console her client.

**************

A confident Mason Caldwell stood on the courthouse steps, surrounded by his biker friends, two muscular bodyguards, and a frenzy of reporters. His female friend was scarce from all camera lenses. Mason raised his hand for silence.

“The last nine months have been difficult for my family and me.” Mason paused and turned his back for a moment, hiding his emotions from the crowd.

“As you know, not only have I had to deal with my wife’s murder and losing my father…” Mason brought his hand to his mouth to stifle a pitiful gasp. He wiped the corner of his eye before speaking again. “I’m forced to step into my father’s role as the CEO of our family’s business, Paradise Casino and Resort. Today’s your lucky day because we will serve free drinks to thirsty, hard-working reporters and friends.”

The boisterous crowd offered a round of cheers. Mason smiled and waited for them to quiet down.

“I have total confidence in Hayden’s Law Enforcement, especially Sheriff Tolliver and Prosecutor Blake Jenson, to find justice for us. 

Someone pushed a microphone closer to Mason and asked, “Then, you agree with Prosecutor Jenson, that your former assistant is responsible for your wife’s death?”

“Oh man, Cassidy was a trusted employee and a family friend. I never saw her display any signs of violence or temper with me, my wife or the staff.” Mason couldn’t have staged a better performance for the ones surrounding him. “For whatever reason, the evidence shows Cassidy Rotello betrayed my family and is responsible. I trust in our legal system to find justice for my deceased wife and if that means Ms. Rotello is guilty, so be it.” Mason swallowed a lump in his throat. “I have no further comment today. It’s in the hands of the court and the jurors now.”

Flanked by his bodyguards, he rushed to his waiting car. The scene looked like the Fourth of July parade as they pulled away from the curb, followed by fifty or more motorcycles.

***********************

Much to Alyssa’s amazement, once the trial had resumed, both attorneys gave their closing arguments, and the jury entered deliberation.

Less than thirty minutes later, Blake was strutting around the courtroom like a peacock. The jury had reached a unanimous verdict. His grin claimed pure confidence everything would be in his favor.

Judge Anderson sat behind the bench. The bailiff escorted the jury into the room. Each juror filed into the room and took a seat. An eerie silence filled the courtroom. Most people had not returned after the break. Alyssa didn’t think any of this would bode well for Cassidy Rotello. She searched the room, looking for familiar faces. She didn’t see Mason Caldwell or Sofia Sanchez. The priest, Miguel and the mysterious cowboy were missing as well. Alyssa shook her head in disbelief.

Unbelievable! It’s like they already know the verdict.

Attorney Barbara Jackson wrapped her arm around Cassidy’s waist, supporting her trembling body. They stood together at the table. Cassidy kept whispering, “I’m innocent! I’m innocent!”

Judge Anderson turned and addressed the jury. “Has the jury reached a decision?”

The foreman stood and surveyed his fellow jurors before answering, “Yes, we have, Your Honor.”  

“How do you find on the charge of Murder in the Second Degree?” 

One female juror whispered, “Lord, be with us.” Several others hung their head in prayer. Blake Jenson stood at the Prosecutor’s table, tall and proud. He smiled at the jury.

The Foreman cleared his throat and said, “We find the defendant, Cassidy Rotello, guilty.”

Cassidy screamed as her legs buckled beneath her and she collapsed to the floor. Alyssa had predicted this moment, but her mouth still dropped in surprise.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - deceased/previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - deceased and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caretaker of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Cranstons
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Mary Hunter - caregiver for Faith and Annie
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper

Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Blake Jenson - Attorney at Law and Prosecutor
Judge Layla Anderson - presiding judge for current trial
Ms. Barbara Jackson - Attorney at Law for the defense team
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.