Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 15, 2021 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
And the web begins to weave....

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 4

by Begin Again




Background
A story of loss, deceit, murder, and crime......
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious, especially since the murders of the previous owners are unsolved. In the small town of Hayden,

Elizabeth inhaled, and a playful smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. The familiar scent of Jack’s cologne coaxed her sleepy mind to meander among precious morning memories as Jack’s playful kisses aroused her. She raised her shoulders upward, letting her cheek brush against one shoulder, and she stretched. A warmth oozed across her relaxed body, and a soft moan responded to her stirring feelings.

A shrill ring jerked her from her dreamy state. Her torso twisted to an upright position while her shapely legs swung to the floor. Her heart was pounding and her hands crisscrossed against her chest like protective armor. Sleep no longer claimed her wide-open eyes. 

Rays of sunlight filtered through the window. As her eyes adjusted, her beating heart slowed. Overtaken by exhaustion, she had fallen asleep in Jack’s office. With the realization she’d been dreaming, a rain cloud of tears gathered in her eyes. She buried her face in her hands.

 “Oh, Jack.” Her voice trembled as the salty tears trailed down her cheeks, dripping onto her silk blouse.

The piercing ring of the telephone jarred her into reality. Liz staggered toward the desk, bumping the corner of the coffee table with her leg. She grimaced and stretched across the desk for the receiver.

 “Hello.”

 “Good morning, Liz.” When Elizabeth didn’t respond, Alyssa called out her name again."Liz?"

Liz sniffed, wiped her eyes and nose with a tissue, and counted - one, two, three - trying to compose herself before talking.

 “Liz, what’s wrong?” Alyssa screamed into the phone. “Answer me.”

“Oh, Allie, I’m just stupid. Yesterday I thought I heard his voice calling me, but it was Darryl. This morning I was dreaming. His cologne… I thought I felt him.” Tears trickled down her face. “Oh, Allie, I miss him so much.”

 “I know, Liz. It’s okay.”

 “I fell asleep in Jack’s office last night, and your call startled me.” 

 “Why were you in Jack’s office? You said you weren’t ready.” 

 “I don’t know, Allie.” She sniffed and wiped her nose. “I found a letter he wrote to me.”

 “A letter? From Jack?” 

 “Allie, you were right. It wasn’t an accident. Jack left a letter in case something happened. He said I was in danger.”

 “Oh, my God. Liz, you’ve got to get out of there.” Elizabeth assumed Alyssa had moved away from the phone. She could hear her voice, but it sounded far away. “No, no, no, no!”

 “Alyssa, what are you doing?” Now it was Elizabeth’s turn to worry. “Allie, are you there?”

 “Sorry, I just needed to catch my breath.” Alyssa’s heavy breathing whooshed through the telephone line. 

 “Can you come out to the house? I’d like to show you the letter.”

 “I’ve got to be in court in thirty minutes. The murder trial is about to wrap up.” 

 “Murder trial? Another one?”

 “Mason Caldwell’s wife. He owns a big ranch and a gambling casino. Supposedly his assistant decided Caldwell was taking too long asking for a divorce, and she took matters into her own hands.”

 “How dreadful. If she did it, she deserves to go to jail,” Liz sighed. “I thought this was a small quiet town.”

 “Yeah, me too. This girl claims she’s innocent.”

 “Don’t they all claim they’re innocent when they get caught?”

 “Yeah, but this one just doesn’t hit me as the murdering type.”

 “Well, she must have been sleeping with a married man. That doesn’t say much about her character.”

 “That’s the thing. She denies it and the prosecutor has shown no proof. All they have is the word of the housekeeper. My money says that woman is illegal, and someone is forcing her to lie.”

 “Oh, Allie, now who’s imagination is shifting into high gear?”

 “Maybe, but you know how I feel about my gut instinct. And this time, I think the girl might be telling the truth.” 

 “Well, you better get going. Will you come after court?”

 “Of course, but shouldn’t you call the sheriff and let them know about Jack’s letter?”

 “Jack told me to call his friend, Hank Armato. He’s a private investigator. I left a message and I’ll hear from him this morning.”

 “Ok, but don’t answer the door. Liz, go get Jack’s gun.”

 “What! Are you mad?  I don’t know how to shoot a gun, Allie.”

 “Point it in the right direction and pull the trigger. Just be careful, Liz. I’ll be there as quick as I can. What about your neighbor… Cynthia? Maybe she could come and sit with you.”

 “Thanks, but no thanks. She’d talk my ear off about the good ole days.” Liz laughed. “Jack would say he could take a nap, and when he woke up, she’d still be finishing the story.”

 They both laughed, and then Allie ended the conversation with one last warning, “It will be my murder trial if anything happens to you, Lizzie. So, promise me you’ll stay inside until I get there.”

 “Promise. Now go, do your thing.”

 ************

 Alyssa raced up the courthouse steps and down the hallway. An officer stood outside the door, and he raised his index finger to his lips as she skidded to an abrupt halt in front of him.

 “You’re late, Allie.”

 “I know, Sam, but Liz needed a shoulder this morning. You know how it is.” She tilted her head to the side and puckered her lips, blowing little kisses.

“Just let me slip in. I’ll sit in the back row, I promise.”

 He heaved a sigh and shook his head. “Allie, you’re a bigger con artist than that dad of yours.” 

 “I’ve heard all the wild stories about you and Dad. It makes me wonder how you ever became a police officer.” Allie wrinkled her nose and smiled. 

 Chuckling under his breath, he pulled the door open wide enough for her to squeeze through. Alyssa mouthed,  "Thank you," and slid inside. The row on the left side was empty. She slid into a seat and went into work mode, scanning the crowded courtroom.

Allie took out her notebook and jotted down the names of a few of the local people in the courtroom. The front rows were packed with the Women’s Church Group, better known as the town criers; their gossip traveled faster than Paul Revere. A group of migrants were tucked against the far wall. Allie assumed they were there to support the housekeeper; then, she saw Miguel as she was about to dismiss the group. Their eyes met for a brief second, and he turned away. She thought it odd that he would leave the vineyard without mentioning it to Liz.

A priest was sitting at the end of the row across the aisle from her. He held a rosary in his hand. Allie thought he looked very ill at ease, out of his comfort zone. She could see Mason Caldwell seated directly behind the prosecutor. A woman dressed in a black tailored suit with a small red pillbox hat was consoling the grieving widower; at least, that’s the appearance they were giving.

To her far right, leaning against the wall was a stranger. Allie had no idea who the sexy cowboy was, but she intended to find out. His blue eyes drifted in her direction. Allie felt like a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar. He tossed a lazy grin in her direction, tipped the brim of his Stetson, and turned his focus to the front of the courtroom.

The judge pounded his gavel to get everyone's attention and court into session.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - deceased/previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - deceased and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caretaker of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Cranston's
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Vasquez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.