Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 14, 2021 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Is it a curse or something far more sinister?

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap. 2

by Begin Again



A story of loss, love, murder and crime....




 

WINE COUNTRY WEEKLY

June 12, 2021

IS SWEET HAVEN ESTATES CURSED?

Business Tycoon Jack McKinley Crashes Cessna

In Private Lake on Estate

* * * * * 

Murders of Former Owners

Remain Unsolved

By Investigative Journalist - Alyssa Shelton  

 

The untimely deaths of Theodore and Meredith Cranston remain unsolved. Authorities should question whether Jack McKinley’s death was accidental or whether someone or something far more sinister lurks behind the scenes. 

It leaves the taste of sour grapes in this reporter’s mouth.

**********************************************************************************************

 

“Damn you, Alyssa!” Elizabeth hissed through clenched teeth. Her fingers were void of blood as she gripped the telephone receiver. “You’re supposed to be my friend.” The sound in her throat wavered between a heart-breaking sob and tortured scream.

"Liz, please."

Elizabeth could tell that her harsh words had struck Allie like molten-hot pokers. Allie's tone conveyed her anguish, no doubt mirrored in her face.

"You know I love you and Jack," Allie uttered haltingly, "but I have a job to do, too," she continued more forcefully, while her nasal twang betrayed her spilling tears.

“A job? Dredging up the past?” Elizabeth’s sadness bubbled into anger. “A curse on the vineyard? Pure sensationalism!” She gasped, silencing the war within her mind. “The love of my life died in a horrible accident, Alyssa. Nothing more than that!” She sniffed and wiped away the tear-stained tracks on her cheeks.

“Liz, if you believe it was an accident, I’ll let it go, but I don’t think you do.” 

“I’ve got to go, Allie. They’re here to pull the Cessna out of the lake.” Elizabeth closed her eyes and inhaled, slowly letting the air slip through her lips. “He’s gone, Allie. I’m never going to see those gorgeous blue eyes or his warm smile again.”

Elizabeth had known Allie long enough to know she would hate herself but she would continue pressing. Allie was like a dog digging for a bone.

“I know, and my heart is breaking for you.” She inhaled sharply. “Liz, why would Jack have been flying alone? It was late, and he only had a learning permit.”

“I don’t know. Jack wasn’t a risk-taker.” A tiny smile tugged at the corner of Elizabeth’s mouth. “Everything by the books.”

“Promise me you’ll think about it.”

Elizabeth was silent. She knew Allie was probably right. She murmured,
“I’ll think about it.” 

Relieved, Alyssa sighed, “I love you, Lizzie.” She hadn’t used that nickname for years. At first, the colorful lizards had terrified Elizabeth, and Alyssa loved to taunt her best friend by calling her Lizzie. Elizabeth refused to buckle. Instead, she’d learned to love the tiny creatures. Alyssa hoped her friend would find that fighting spirit again.

A soft chuckle rippled through the telephone line. “I love you, too. Talk to you later.” The phone line disconnected.

************

Alyssa hung up the phone and slumped against the back of her office chair. She hadn’t expected such a violent reaction from Liz. They’d grown up in the same Midwest town, attended college together, and returned home to build their careers and adult life. They’d always been in sync with each other. Over time, Liz met Jack, got married, and traveled the world with her handsome husband as he built an empire. 

Alyssa remained single; she lived and breathed for the next story. Like a bloodhound tracking a scent, the reporter in her couldn’t stop until she knew everything there was to know. One year ago, she’d become the number one investigative reporter in Napa Valley, law enforcement’s top dog for sniffing out the details. The two friends were ecstatic when Jack presented Elizabeth with the estate and winery as an anniversary present. They were together again.

Two weeks ago, when the initial accident report came across the police scanner, Alyssa ignored the lights, sirens, and honking horns and spun her 1966 canary yellow Mustang into a 180-degree turn. She maneuvered the car between a string of police cars and an approaching Metro ambulance. The Mustang hugged the side of the road until every emergency vehicle raced by, and then Alyssa fell in line, pedal to the metal, ignoring all speed limits. She never questioned if she belonged there or not.

When she arrived at the massive estate entrance, she discovered only official law enforcement and investigation teams would have access to the property. She’d tried to persuade all her connections to allow her inside, but the doors were closed tight. As surrounding neighbors gathered near the property line, Alyssa mingled among them, chatting and listening. Gossip flourished among them, especially about the unsolved murders. One person had cell phone photos of the plane plummeting to the ground. Her gut told her Jack’s crash had not been an accident, and her gut was rarely wrong. Now she needed to prove it.

**********

Secluded by a small grove of towering pine trees, Elizabeth McKinley watched as multiple agencies swarmed the area, completing their investigations. Her hands twisted and re-twisted the newspaper she held in her hands. Though they’d recovered her husband’s body two weeks ago, inclement weather had hindered the removal of the Cessna airplane until today. Elizabeth’s stomach churned in seeming rhythm with the moaning twisted metal as the wreckage was lifted from its watery grave. 

Elizabeth’s grieving heart was heavy. She’d always been a strong partner with her husband, but his sudden death had shaken her confidence to face the future without him. 

My darling, what am I missing? What if Alyssa’s right? Who or what forced you to get into that plane? Talk to me, Jack.

A male voice called her name. “Elizabeth.” 

“Jack?” Elizabeth’s eyes were wide as she spun around, searching the thick pines for the source. The voice had startled her. Her momentary confusion turned to worry. She’d felt the loss from the moment Jack died, but the sudden realization she was alone, a widow unprotected by her husband, staggered her. Elizabeth shivered as she felt her throat tighten.

“Hello. Who’s there?” 

“Elizabeth, it’s Darryl, ma’am.” The estate foreman, Darryl Pennington, stepped into the clearing. “Sorry to startle you. I thought you’d hear me approaching.” He hesitated for a moment. “Didn’t think about all the noise.” Darryl’s eyes shifted to the plane wreckage dangling over the water and back to Elizabeth. “Sorry, Elizabeth, I didn’t mean to intrude.” He turned and stepped away.

“Wait! It’s okay, Darryl.” She didn’t know him well, but Jack had always spoken fondly of him. He’d been working for the Cranstons before the murders. When the bank asked him to remain until the sale of the property, Darryl agreed. He’d shown Jack the workings of the winery, and they’d bonded. After the purchase, Jack had asked him to stay and offered him the position. 

“I can come back later. It’s not a problem.” His eyes darted across the lake and back to her. “It’s a tough time for all of us. Jack was a good man. He was more than my boss. Jack was my friend.” Darryl stared at the ground, unable to hide the sorrow building in his eyes. 

“Jack spoke highly of you, Darryl. He thought of you as his friend as well.” Elizabeth reached out and patted his arm. “You’ve taken quite a hike to come up here this morning. Was there something important you needed? I apologize for neglecting the daily operations.”

“No, no, don’t you worry.” He shook his head and smiled. “The winery functions smoothly. Jack made sure of that, and he taught me well. And of course, we have an excellent crew.”

A small smile tugged at the corner of Elizabeth’s mouth. She appreciated the pride and gratitude that Darryl offered concerning the business and her husband. “I’m sure you know more about the business than I do, but I’ll try to help.”

“Well, I hate to bother you, but with Jack not being here and all, I was wondering if you could clarify some things for me?”

“Of course, or at least I’ll try.”

“There are a couple of items.” Darryl cleared his throat. Elizabeth realized he was as uncomfortable as she was as he fidgeted an looked everywhere but at her. “First, we have a large shipment of wine going out in two days. Are you going to be taking over Jack’s office? I mean, well, when you’re ready, but, well…” Darryl scuffed the ground with the toe of his boot. “I guess I’m trying to ask if you want me to handle things until you decide who’s in charge.”

“My husband was a fantastic entrepreneur. He put his trust in you, and so will I unless you give me a reason not to. I would appreciate all the help you can give me.”

“Thank you. I’ll do my best.” A look of relief washed across his face. “The second question is whether you want me to place the order Jack was working on?”

“Of course, you’d know more about what supplies we need than I would. Jack trusted you, and so do I.” For the first time in weeks, Elizabeth offered Darryl a genuine smile. She appreciated the respect he gave her. “Is that all you need?”

“No, there’s one other thing. It concerns Dr. Copeland.”

“Eugene Copeland?” A chuckle escaped her lips. “I know he loves his wine, but I doubt he orders it by the barrel.”

“Oh no! It’s about his weekly visits to Faith and her daughter, Annie. I always drive him to the cottage because the road is mighty bumpy, and the Doc don’t trust his own driving.”

Elizabeth turned toward the lake and the mangled wreckage. Confusion registered across her face. She needed a moment to comprehend and adjust to this information. Her thoughts whirled around like a spinning top. 

How come I’ve never heard of a woman and a child living in a cottage on the estate property? What else have you hidden from me, Jack? And why?

Miss Mary manages the household daily, but Dr. Copeland brings supplies once a week and tends to Miss Faith while I take time to amuse Annie. She’s the sweetest little red-headed girl you ever did see. I tease her about all her freckles.” 

Elizabeth turned to face Darryl, observing his apparent love for the child. His eyes were no longer sad; instead, they sparkled like shiny stars, and his mouth twisted into a grin from ear to ear. Trying to remain calm, she asked, “How long have they lived at the cottage?”

“When Jack agreed to purchase the winery, he hired me, and he also agreed to allow Faith and her daughter, and Mary, of course, to continue to live at the cottage. They were already living there when I started working for the Cranstons.” Darryl wiped the sweat off his brow.

“Dr. Copeland mentioned Faith’s husband died in Afghanistan while she was pregnant with Annie. Since you’ll be in charge now, I wanted to get your okay on the arrangements with Dr. Copeland. I didn’t mean to spring it on you like that. I thought you knew.”

“It’s not your fault, Darryl.” It was apparent he was distraught and she wanted to ease his discomfort. “Maybe Jack mentioned it, and it slipped my mind.” They both knew that was not the case. “When is Dr. Copeland expected to visit?”

“He comes on Thursdays.” 

“That’s fine. Would you mind asking the doctor to stop in at the main house after his visit? I haven’t seen him since the funeral, and I’d like to thank him for the beautiful flower arrangement he sent.”

“Yes, ma’am. I better get back to work now.” Darryl disappeared into the forest of pines without another word, leaving Elizabeth with more questions than answers.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - deceased/previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - deceased and present owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and current owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caretaker of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Cranstons
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.