Supernatural Science Fiction posted June 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...69 70 -71- 72... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Safe & Sound/Part 5

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, I'd appreciate the advice. It has not been professionally edited. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
Previously. . .
 

It didn’t take long before they came upon the opening of the underground passageway. By what Jena had experienced, once they climbed down, it would take approximately an hour to get to their destination. But eventually, it would lead them straight into the heart of A&E Pharmaceuticals.

Frank shuddered as he stared down into the dark hole. The thought of running into more of those hideous creatures created an uneasy feeling. “Maybe if we’re lucky, those things back there were the last of their kind.”

Jace pointedly looked at Frank with an arched brow. “Well so far, our luck is proving otherwise. But don’t fret it, Detective. I’ve got your back.”

Frank’s breath hitched as Tim trotted up to him and pawed at the ground. Shortly after, Drakon—who was far bigger and more terrifying than Tim’s Breedline wolf—slid in next to Manuel with a low growl.

Acknowledging the tense expression on Frank’s face, Jace reached out and gave him a comforting pat on the back. “Looks like you guys are pretty much covered by all sides, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yeah,” Frank nervously said, looking over at the gigantic wolf who stood beside him with glowing eyes and a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth. “And I’m pretty damn grateful you guys are on our side.”

Nicolas threw his arm around Jena, his fingers stroking through the dark, coarse hairs still covering her wolfish form. “We better get moving.” He averted his eyes from her and looked to the others. “You guys want me to lead the way?”

Jace motioned Nicolas forward. “Be my guest.” 

Jena peered down into the dark pit that seemed to go on for miles. When she lifted her head, she gave Nicolas a slight nod. As soon as he shined a flashlight in the opening and started to make his way down into the narrow cavity, Jena stuck close by. The minute Roman stepped up, readying himself to go next, he started to shift back into his human form. By the time he completely transformed, he stood barefoot, shirtless, and his pants were split down the seams.

“Damn,” Jace blurted, eyeballing Roman’s ripped jeans. “Looks like you’re hanging by a thread there, buddy.”

“Tell me about it.” Roman exhaled an aggravated sigh. “But at least I still have my pants.”

Jace chuckled. “Yeah, barely.”

Roman shrugged it off and began to climb his way down.

“Okay, Detectives,” Jace said, standing near the opening. “You two are up next.”

Manuel slowly lowered himself onto the steep stairwell and started to climb downward on shaky legs, cursing under his breath.

Jace looked down at Manuel. “You’re not afraid of heights are you, Detective?”

Manuel glanced up slit-eyed and muttered, “Smartass.”

Jace grinned, realizing he’d hit a nerve with the detective, and proceeded to help Frank.

As Frank descended lower, Jem followed in behind, leaving Jace with Drakon and Tim.

“Well guys,” said Jace. “Better get shifting fast. There’s no way you’ll make it down those stairs in your current condition.” He tossed the duffel bag that contained extra clothes and weapons. It landed with a thud between Drakon’s humongous paws. “Let’s go.” He snapped his fingers. “Time is ticking.” 

Continued. . .

About mid-way into the dark and musky tunnel, the coppery scent of blood filled the air. As Jena and her companions continued onward, the distinct odor grew thicker. So thick, she could almost taste it. That’s when she recognized her surroundings. This was the place where she’d been attacked by those two creatures. The ones she’d killed. Although, their bodies were nowhere in sight. Obviously, they’d been removed.
She stopped and closed her eyes, recalling those dreadful images. What she’d discovered after they’d shifted back to their human forms tore at her heart. They looked so young. Clearly no older than seventeen or eighteen, if not younger. Their youthful faces would forever haunt her memory. And according to Kian, they were Dr. Michaels’ children. The physician had to be out of his mind. How could anyone experiment on their own children? What he’d turned them into went against the laws of nature. The circumstances made her feel somewhat guilty, regretting what she’d done. As she lifted her lids, her dark eyes flashed with helpless frustration.

The others, who were following her lead, came to an abrupt halt and cautiously waited.   
 
Nicolas approached her, noticing the tortured expression on her wolfish face. “Is something wrong, Jena?”

Forget about it, Jena mentally told herself. She had to keep her mind focused. She hadn’t the power to turn back time. Besides, she’d been left with no choice. She had to defend herself. Dr. Michaels’ creatures had tried to kill her. Jena cleared her thoughts and without a word, she answered Nicolas with a shake of her head. When she moved past him, Nicolas silently motioned to the others. Weapons ready, they trudged warily through the desolate passageway and followed close behind.  

A few rats scurried along the path and their beady, glittering eyes twinkled in the darkness like a string of Christmas lights. When one of the beady-eyed rodents shot between Manuel’s feet, he nearly jumped out of his skin. “Son of a b—” He caught his breath. “Dammit…” He gritted his teeth. “I hate rats.”

Jace snickered and Frank had to bite his lip to keep from laughing out loud.

Manuel looked between the two and smirked. “Ha-ha-ha,” he lightly mocked. “Very funny.” He snarled his upper lip. “Smartasses.” 

Jena’s senses were on high alert, realizing they weren’t far from the facility. She kept a close eye ahead, half-expecting more creatures to burst from the shadows. But to her relief, nothing but empty shadows and the smell of rotting earth surrounded them. It seemed too easy. Way too easy.

Finally, as they neared the end of the tunnel, Jena stopped and threw up a hand, bringing the others to a standstill. Nicolas followed her gaze to the open manhole. She nodded, confirming her suspicions, and said, “They’re baiting us.”

Drakon gripped his semi-automatic as he moved next to Jena and looked up. “You’re right about that,” he said. “There’s no way they’d leave the opening exposed. It’s definitely a trap.” Then, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted something shiny. As Drakon turned to get a closer look, he saw something glistening under the light coming from the circular opening above.

There, almost invisible to the untrained eye, was a metal object on the wall in the far corner.

“What is it?” Jace asked as Drakon’s eyes zeroed in, trying to decipher what it was.

Drakon held up a halting hand. Then, with curiosity gleaming in his deep blue eyes, he reached into the back pocket of his jeans and retrieved a portable light. As soon as he aimed it forward, the beam of the light swallowed up the darkness, revealing what looked to be a door. He noticed the metal exterior was so corroded, it was a miracle the rusted hinges hadn’t given away.

He instantly turned toward the others. “It’s a door.”   

To be contined. . .




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Kian Adams - She is a bounty hunter, hired by Dr. Henry Michaels to hunt down Jena McCain.

Dr. Henry Michaels - The head physician at Adam & Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government for the sole purpose of creating a new species of supernatural humans.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.