Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 6, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ric pays Nancy a visit.....

On the Edge of Deception Pg 49

by Begin Again


After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away. Still, the father has a different story to tell until he's discovered dead.

On the other side of town, Ty lies in a hospital bed, falsely accused of drug trafficking, hijacking, and so much more.  The proof of his innocence lies murdered on a dark country road.

Can either case be justly solved?




 

Okay, buddy, lights, camera, action. Let’s sweep the star off her feet and into the hot box.

 

A loud burst of laughter erupted as Ric walked into the bar. He turned in that direction and saw two of the undercover agents were in position.

 

“Hey, Ric, long time no see.” One of them called out to the detective. The other nodded his recognition.

 

Ric changed direction and joined them. “What brings you guys to this neighborhood? Columbia’s not exactly your stomping grounds.”

 

Talking a little louder than necessary, one of them answered, “A broad. Bringing her in for questioning, I guess.”

 

“Yeah, not familiar with the case, but they said they wanted backup, just a precaution. You never can tell with women.”

 

Ric laughed. “Sounds like a gravy job if you ask me. Drinking beers on a Saturday afternoon.” Ric lowered his voice, “Here we go, boys. Hope this goes down like a glass of Jack, smooth and clean.” Then he added, “Nice to see you guys. Don’t work too hard.”

 

They both saluted him with their beers.

 

Ric moved down the bar to join Kate and Ruthie. He wrapped an arm around each of them and gave them an affectionate squeeze. “Well, it’s my lucky day. A man couldn’t ask for anything better than two gorgeous women sitting here, smiling so pretty at him.”

 

“Oh, gosh, Ric, you’re making me blush.” A warm pink covered Ruthie’s face. 

 

Kate wrapped her arms around the detective’s neck and planted a kiss on his cheek. “Nor can the girl be happier than seeing this sexy man for the second time this week. What’s the occasion?” 

 

“Just working.” Ric flashed his sexiest smile at both girls. "And enjoying the scenery, too.” They were all laughing when Nancy joined them.

 

“Detective Santiago, to what do we owe the pleasure? Twice this week, isn’t it?” She offered a friendly smile, but the warm feeling never reached her eyes.

 

“Yeah, no rest for the wicked, I guess.” Ric looked around the bar. ”A Saturday afternoon, I thought it would be busier.”

 

“There’s a big dart tournament at Clancy’s. When it ends, the regulars will start drifting in.” Nancy smiled at Ric, “Can I get you something?”

 

“A beer, I guess. Can’t stay long. A big case is about to break open.” Ric dropped the first shoe and watched for a response.

 

Ruthie squealed, “Sounds like Chicago PD. I just love that show.”

 

“Really? Don’t just leave us hanging, Ric. Tell us!” Kate was the inquisitive one.

 

“Yes, Ric, tell us. Sounds like you’re going to be famous. Are you putting Columbia on the map?” Nancy’s voice sounded enthusiastic, but Ric caught the undertones. “I would never have guessed this small town had anything more sinister than Lola’s Den… and even she’s cleaned up her act after O’Shea put the clamps on her operation.” Nancy set a bottle of beer on the bar in front of Ric. “It’s on the house.” 

 

“Thanks.” He raised it to his mouth and let the cold brew slide down his throat. His phone beeped, indicating a message. He pulled the cell from his pocket and read the text. 

 

Daisy Mae is in Cobdon. You can drop the hammer anytime.

 

Ric took another long swallow of the beer before turning back to the girls. “Duty calls. I’ve got a woman to arrest.”

 

“Who? Who is it? Come on, Ric, we aren’t going to say anything. You can trust all of us. Right, Nancy? Ruthie?” A chorus of “of course” followed by “tell us” was offered. 

 

“Well, I guess it can’t hurt since I’m about to make the arrest anyhow.” Ric turned his head and glanced casually around the bar. His eyes met the other agents and then traveled back to the girls. Cupping his hand against Kate’s head, he whispered in her ear. “Daisy.”

 

In a nano-second, Kate blurted it out, “Daisy Mae Collins?” 

"Shhh! Kate!" Ric scolded her, knowing quite well that was going to happen.

 

Nancy swallowed hard, but her game face stayed in place. “You’re joking, right, Ric? What possible drama could that little tramp be involved in?” Nancy chuckled, “Unless your major case includes the Preacher’s son? You might ruffle the entire church with that one."

 

"I knew none of you could keep your mouth shut.” Ric scowled at all three of them. “And the answer to your question Nancy, is I’m not joking. Oakdale says Daisy Mae has been singing like a bird. Has some interesting stories to tell.”

 

“She’s a tramp and a thief.” Nancy clipped. “I wouldn’t believe anything she has to say.”

 

“I’m just doing my job.” Ric looked directly at Nancy and tipped his head toward the office exit. “Matter of fact, I’d like to share a little information with you. Privately.”

 

“With me? I don’t have any knowledge of Daisy. She only worked for me a few days.” Nancy wasn’t quite as comfortable as she’d been earlier. Her thoughts were spinning. Visions of Dwight lying on the bed with the knife in his chest flashed through her head.

 

Daisy can't put me at the scene. Both times she saw me I was right here, tending bar. She's crafty though. Maybe she fabricated something. I'm smarter than she'll ever be so quit worrying.

Her confidence began to return. 


“You might be surprised.” Ric dashed a bit of cold water on Nancy’s thoughts. “Someone was impressed.”
 

“What could she have possibly said? The woman’s a liar and a thief.” 

 

“I’m not comfortable talking about it in the bar. Can we step into your office?” Ric calmly asked Nancy. “I think it would be safer if the conversation stayed between you and me.”

 

“I’ve nothing to hide.” Unable to read Ric’s demeanor, she favored being a bit aloof.

 

“Yeah, Ric! Ruthie and I are Nancy’s friends. You can tell us.”

 

“I know. That’s why I don’t want to put either of you in a bad position.” The detective smiled and shrugged his shoulders. “If Nancy feels like sharing afterward, that’s her prerogative.”

 

“Fine! Kate, do you mind bartending for a few minutes while Detective Santiago wastes his time and fills me in on Daisy’s lies?”

 

Kate slid off the stool. “Sure, no problem. Drinks on the house.” Her blonde ponytail bounced from side to side as she headed around the bar, calling over her shoulder, “Just kidding, Nancy.”

 

“I’ll grab two beers.” Nancy reached toward the cooler.

 

“Naw, don’t bother. Trust me; this won’t take that long.”

 

Eager to hear what Daisy might be offering the police, Nancy’s steps were quick. Ric tipped his head to the agents and followed Nancy into the rear of the building. As they neared her office, a DEA officer stepped out of the doorway and blocked her.

 

“What the hell?” Nancy growled. Spinning around to face Ric, she snapped, “Mind explaining what’s going on, Detective? What's he doing here?"

 

“Don’t mind at all, Nancy. We’re taking a ride.” The satisfied look on Ric’s face taunted Nancy.

 

“I’m not going anywhere with you idiots. Get out of my bar.” She tried to push past Ric, but he blocked her way.

 

“Sorry, ma’am,” The DEA officer offered. He held a folded paper up for Nancy to see. “I’ve got a warrant for your arrest.”

"My arrest? You guys are loco." She spat at the officer. "You have nothing on me."

 

“If you want to go peacefully, there’s a car parked outside the back door. But if you prefer, I’ll drag you kicking and screaming through the bar.” A foolish grin covered Ric’s face from ear to ear. “I hope you choose the latter.”

 

“I never did trust you, Detective.” Nancy looked Ric straight in the eyes. “You’re grasping at straws trying to make a name for yourself. So I would be happy to take a ride with you.” Her look of disdain slid off Ric and fell to the floor.

 

“Darn it! I was so looking forward to dragging your ass out of here.” 

 

The two agents from the bar had joined them. They openly snickered at Ric’s suggestion. The DEA officer escorted Nancy out the back door to the awaiting car. Another agent held the door open, and Nancy climbed into the vehicle.

 

Garth texted Hank. “The pigeon has landed.”




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Daisy Mae Collins - bartender, a girl about town
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia - (Gigi) Bert's coworker on leave to care for her mother
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Armato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Garth Woodman (Jeremy) - Undercover FBI Agent
Amanda - Culbertson neighbor
Spider - a love from the past and a friend for life
Paco and Shorty - two neighborhood punks
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.