Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 4, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The round up begins.....

On the Edge of Deception Pg 47

by Begin Again


After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away. Still, the father has a different story to tell until he's discovered dead.

On the other side of town, Ty lies in a hospital bed, falsely accused of drug trafficking, hijacking, and so much more.  The proof of his innocence lies murdered on a dark country road.

Can either case be justly solved?


************

A rosy haze drifted like cotton candy over the treetops.  By dawn’s early light, a parade of FBI vehicles entered the sleepy town of Cobdon. Garth had arranged for the use of a large meeting hall located in the vineyard. A crew had worked through the night erecting six 10x10 plexiglass cubes for interrogation, each with a table and four chairs. A complete office with desks, computers, phones, printers, and miscellaneous office paraphernalia filled the opposite side of the hall. 

 

“Man, your team knows how to set up a command post.” Hank surveyed the hall. “I’m impressed, Garth.”

 

“Thanks. Practice makes perfect. We’re not there yet, but this team does a fantastic job.” Garth beamed as he praised how much they had accomplished in the past few hours.

 

“I’m impressed.” Ric chimed. “Where would you like Hank and me to settle?”

 

“Choice is yours. Thought you might like the end section, though. It does get noisy when everyone starts setting up their operations.” Garth indicated several desks near the wall. “Besides, Hank, the coffee maker is right there. I know how you like your coffee.” 

 

“Thanks. How’s this going to work?” It wasn’t that Hank didn’t like taking orders, but he didn’t like surprises. Secrecy and timing were the words of the day. Otherwise, someone might slip through the net.

 

“When everyone’s settled, Ric, you and I will hold a group meeting. We’ve got agents from DEA, U.S. Marshals, a federal white-collar crimes task force, and the FBI, of course. Since we don’t have any idea how deep this will go, I’ve tried to bring in enough people to locate, interview and investigate our findings so we can stay under the radar, but move quickly.”

 

“That’s my worry. The chief is gone for the weekend, but I’m sure O’Shea will be alerted if anyone gets wind of this. That puts my butt on the line.” Ric heaved a heavy sigh, sharing a quick look with Hank.

 

“I understand, Ric. The idea is to scoop everyone up as quietly as possible, get them out of town, and then rattle their cages when they see everyone here.”

 

“It’s worked before. The one that talks first gets the better deal. None of these people appears to be that tight with anyone else.”

 

“Saying we get enough information to file charges against O’Shea and McKay, what’s the process going to be?”

 

“According to Amanda, O’Shea’s web covers a lot of influential people. We're talking senators, CEOs, local aldermen and there's a possibility the mayor is involved to some extent.

“The stuff from her storage locker floored me. I would never have guessed her penchant for details. I have a team already discreetly investigating every person involved. O’Shea’s fingers run deep.”

 

“Sounds like a tight operation, Garth.”

 

“We’ve got two judges on standby for warrants. Judge Tanner is with the U.S. District Court, and Circuit Court Judge Lance’s jurisdiction includes Monroe County.”

 

“Well, let’s get started.” 

 

“Ric, there’s a stack of envelopes on the table over there. Mind grabbing them?” Garth pointed to the table. “Each packet contains photos, known addresses, vehicles, and other info on each of the suspects. I know Columbia is tight-knit, and news travels fast. This operation needs to be a snatch and grab with as little noise as possible.”

 

While everyone finished their calls and paperwork, Garth, Hank and Ric discussed the teams.

 

“I’ve sent a team of agents to Oakdale to transport Daisy Collins. I don’t see much problem with her.” In Garth’s opinion, Daisy was a valuable pawn for Nancy. Her flamboyant personality led her to be gullible, which created her problems.

 

Hank nodded, “I agree. When I talked with Daisy, she was eager to answer all my questions. Her only problem was getting on the wrong side of Nancy. Between Chicken Charlie’s statement and Amanda’s, I think she’s in the clear.”

 

“I’ll be anxious to see Nancy’s reaction to Daisy reappearing, though.”

 

“I think today is going to be a big eye-opener for Nancy. I’d like in on that one, Garth.” It was time to turn the tables on Nancy, and Ric wanted to be there when it happened.

 

“Sure, you can ride with me. Between the drugs and the murder, I’m planning on DEA and ourselves to be involved.”

 

“Amanda’s on the list. Is the hospital going to release her?” Ric questioned the wisdom of her leaving the hospital.

 

“She threatened to discharge herself.” Hank shrugged. “As a safety precaution, she’ll be transported by ambulance. Bert and I will stay by her side. I think she’ll be more comfortable with us there.”

 

“I’ll arrange unmarked cars as escorts. I doubt anyone is aware of what’s happening, but I’m not taking any chances with our star witness.” Amanda’s testimony would be an explosive development in the drug case and Columbia’s corruption if everything unfolded correctly. Garth and his team were doing their best to make sure that happened.

 

“Okay, everyone, listen up. Agent Spinello and Agent Patterson will form two teams, eight agents and four cars. Spinello, here’s your packet of information on Spider. Patterson, I’m giving your team Paco and Shorty. They are usually together, but you can notify the command if you find one and not the other.” 

 

“Some of you remember Hank Armato from the Gulf Shores case. I need two cars to assist him in escorting the ambulance with our star witness. I know I sound like a stuck record but it's important to complete these arrests as inconspicuously as possible.”

 

“The DEA team will assist Ric and me. The Last Chance will most likely be where we will find Nancy. Once you have your detainee, return here, and place them in a cubicle for questioning. Hopefully, their visibility to each other will start some conversations.

 

“Any questions? No… okay, let’s roll.”

 

 

***************

 

“Alright, boys and girls, let the games begin.” Agent Patterson was sickened by Amanda’s hospital photos. He believed in karma and would have no problem swinging a fist or two if the punks tested him.

 

“We’re looking for a dark green ‘84 Olds Toronado Illinois license plate 442 031. DMV says it was involved in a recent accident so there should be damage to the rear driver’s side. The vehicle belongs to Paco, so I suspect he’ll be driving.”

 

“What’s the background on these two? Anything major?” 

 

“No, according to the packet, they’re just small-town punks. Unfortunately, their scare tactics escalated to a life or death beating of our witness. “

 

“Do we have a location?”

 

“Paco’s residence is listed at 1342 Peyton. That’s an eight-family building in a run-down neighborhood. A lot of unfriendlies.” Patterson stopped and surveyed his team. “Now’s not the time to play a superhero. Don’t rattle the natives, understand?”

 

“Yeah, we know, low key.” 

 

“Our best bet is a traffic stop on a quiet side street. If you spot the car, don’t approach until we all are in the area. We don’t know these guys. They haven’t committed any armed crimes that we know of, but then they hadn’t beaten an old woman half to death either. Anything’s a possibility. Let’s go make their day.”

 

************

 

“Our guy’s an ex-con. He rides a Harley and runs with the Columbia Hawgs. He’s got a tattoo of a spider on the right side of his neck. With any luck, we catch him alone. The last thing we need is a riot with a bunch of bikers. Understood?” Spinello waited for affirmation from his group. “Remember we do this as a group. You spot him and we all close in. We’re not leaving anything to chance, nor are we making any big ruckus. Just pick him up. Jason, you drive the van so we can load that bike inside, okay?”

 

“On it, boss.”

 

************

 

“Nancy’s a smart cookie, Garth. She’s most likely at the bar, but how are you planning on getting her to come with you?”

 

“I’m not; you are because, in her eyes, I’m another bad guy. I’m not blowing my cover until we know we’ve got her. So I’ll sit this one out in the parking lot.”

 

“That makes sense. I’ve already questioned her though, so what excuse am I using for doing it again?”

 

“That’s easy. You’re going to tell her that we’ve taken Daisy into custody, and she’s telling a different story than we heard from Nancy. Lie to her. Tell her that you believe her and you want to scare Daisy. Tell her it’s just to clear up matters.”

 

“And if she refuses?”

 

“Then I give the go-ahead to the DEA, and they walk in the front door and escort her out.”

 

“The whole town will know about it in less than thirty minutes.” Disbelief at that suggestion made Ric shake his head.

 

“That’s why you better work your charms on our little lady.” Garth laughed at Ric. “You’re always telling us how smooth you are. Prove it.”

Everyone loaded up and the round-up was under way.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Daisy Mae Collins - bartender, a girl about town
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia - (Gigi) Bert's coworker on leave to care for her mother
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Armato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Garth Woodman (Jeremy) - Undercover FBI Agent
Amanda - Culbertson neighbor
Spider - a love from the past and a friend for life
Paco and Shorty - two neighborhood punks
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.