Supernatural Science Fiction posted June 1, 2021 Chapters:  ...65 66 -67- 68... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Safe and Sound/Part 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe! I hope you enjoy.
The moment everyone gathered into the library and settled around the table with the rest of the Breedline members, Jena told them everything she knew about Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals. Which wasn’t much. When she was done, Kian came clean and told them everything she knew about A&E and Dr. Michaels. But not before she tried to make a deal with Detectives Sanchez and Perkins. Although they refused to let her and her twin sister off the hook, they did agree to help get her sister safely out of A&E when they went in to make an arrest. Both women had no other choice but to face punishment for their crimes.

“So, what the hell are we doing here?” Jace spoke out. “What’s our plan? And we still haven’t found out who outed us to that psycho physician at A&E. My gut feeling points to Sebastian.” 

“Yeah,” Roman chimed in. “I was just thinking the same thing.”

“That’s why we’re all here,” Tim said. “And to answer your question regarding the person responsible for revealing our species to Dr. Michaels, well, that still remains a mystery. But I don’t believe Sebastian had anything to do with it.”

“I agree with Tim,” Tessa commented. “Besides, Sebastian has Eve and their children here in the Covenant, and there’s no way he’d risk their safety. It has to be someone who has no close ties here.”

“You mean an outsider?” Roman queried.

Tessa nodded. “It’s definitely someone we’re not close to. Maybe someone from another Covenant.”

“Whoever it is,” Tim remarked, “they’ll eventually get caught and brought before the council. And I promise, there will be no leniency. Now, let’s get back to the topic at hand.” He looked between Manuel and Frank. “What do you suggest, Detectives?”    
 
“We’re going to have to notify our Captain,” Frank said. “We’ve got no other choice. The Feds are involved with this case.”

“Are you sure that’s a wise decision?” Tim said. “Think about it, guys. You heard what Jena came up against at A&E. There’s a good chance there’s more of those creatures. And no amount of police force can deal with something of that magnitude.”

“Tim is right,” Tessa pointed out. “If you get the police involved, they’ll be innocent lives at risk.”

“Are you proposing we handle this ordeal ourselves?” Manuel queried.

“I don’t see the problem,” Drakon commented. “We took care of the situation at the Summit Behavioral Institute, so why not A&E?”

“Okay,” Manuel said, releasing a sigh. “You’ve made your point. Regardless of the Feds, if we turn this information over to our Captain, we’ll be responsible for the lives of our own men. I’m not going to stand back and watch that happen. So, I guess that means you guys are stuck with this too. But that doesn’t mean Detective Perkins and I are sitting this one out. We’re going to do our part.”

“Don’t worry, Detective,” Tessa said. “We’re definitely going to need you two. Besides, I think we all make a great team, don’t you think?”   

Manuel nodded and Frank said, “I completely agree. If it weren’t for the Breedline, humans would be defenseless and probably extinct by now. God created you for a good reason. You all make a difference in this world.”

“Thank you, Frank,” Tessa replied, smiling. “We’re glad we have the ability to make a difference.”

“How are we going to go about all this?” Drakon said, directing the group back to the main topic. “Go in with guns a blazing or do we have a better plan of action?”

“If I were you,” Kian spoke out, drawing everyone’s attention. “I’d use A&E’s underground passageway.”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” Jena said, focusing on Kian. “I mean, think about it. Now that I know about the tunnel, and they have knowledge of the Breedline, don’t you think they’ll be expecting me to bring reinforcements? I’m sure as we speak, Dr. Michaels is preparing his men, and whatever those creatures were—especially after what I did to him—for an attack.”

“Wait a minute,” Kian said, looking at Jena perplexed. “What did you do to Dr. Michaels?”

“I shot him,” Jena simply said.  

“What the—” Manuel’s jaw dropped. “You shot him?”

“Don’t worry,” Jena said. “He was still alive when I left him. Besides, I shot him in the leg. And I did warn him.”

“Atta girl,” Jace blurted, giving Jena a thumbs up. “Serves the sucker right.”

“You go, girl,” Roman said, nodding his approval.

Jena beamed at Jace and Roman’s outburst of praise, but soon her smile turned upside down when Kian went on to say, “Dr. Michaels will definitely be gunning for you now. Especially when he discovers his kids.”

“What kids?” Jena asked.

“Oh, did I forget to mention that part?” Kian said, shrugging her shoulders. “Well… silly me.”

“Stop messing around, Kian.” Jena raised her voice. “Spill it.”

“Okay, okay,” Kian groaned. “Those creatures who attacked you in the tunnel… you know… the ones you killed?”

When Jena nodded, Kian said, “Well, as it happens to be, they were his own flesh and blood.”

“Are you saying—” Jena’s face went pale. “They were Dr. Michaels grown children?”

“Bingo,” Kian mockingly said.

“Ah shit,” Jace grumbled. “That nut job of a doctor is going to be pissed. We better get ready for an all-out war.”

“But that’s insane,” Jena said, keeping her eyes locked on Kian. “Why would he experiment on his own children?”

“You hit the nail on the head,” Kian said. “Dr. Henry Michaels is insane, but very rich. He’s got more than enough money to pay someone to replace his dead kids. Hell, for the right amount of cash, I’d even consider it.”

Angie shot out of her chair, pointing her finger at Kian. “I’ve had about enough of your filthy mouth. Shut it!”

“Okay everyone,” Tim said, taking charge of the room. “Let’s use our brains first, then our fists. Time is getting away from us. And we’ve got to come up with a strategy.”  

“Yeah.” Jace smirked. “And it better be a damn good one too.”  

To be continued. . . 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one-hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

Kian Adams - A human bounty hunter hired by Dr. Henry Michaels to kidnap Jena McCain.

Dr. Henry Michaels - The head physician at Adam & Eve Pharmaceuticals. He has knowledge of the Breedline species and wants to use them and Jena McCain for clinical experimentation against their will.

Angie Hawkridge - She is a Breedline and Jena McCain's best friend.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.