Romance Fiction posted May 29, 2021 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Challenge falls into pleasure

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Chapter 12

by Alaskastory




Background
Previous chapter: Danielle is unsure of her job to expose all aspects of the dam in Alaska and got surprised to meet Stewart again and shocked at his opposition to the dam.
Stewart Bryant stood beside Danielle as she peered at a broad grin spread across his arousing, loosely shaven face. "Stewart, are you trying to tell me a dam to produce electricity is not a desirable asset to the coal industry?"

Dr. Burns, who remained comfortably seated at his desk, answered. "That is far from the reason. There is more to this man than his coal company."

"Thank you for the compliment." Stewart cheerfully bowed his head.

Dr. Burns put a finger on a noted calendar. "I can't make it to the meeting until later. You two better get going."

"Yeah, it's time we get over to the auditorium." Stewart gently held Danielle's arm, escorting her admired yet slightly stunned body out the office door.

"Alright, I'll keep quiet in there today." She was astonished to think he could agree with her favorite Natural Resources professor, who certainly thought the dam would harmfully impact the environment. Yet, Stewart's suggestion for her to delay an input was definitely good for her. Another day might help build up her confidence.

"So, you think I'm right? Better to listen than speak?"

Her heels elevated her almost shoulder-high, plainly enough to see amusement glisten in his eyes. "Actually, I do need another day before I'm ready to speak."

They entered into a lobby near the auditorium. It was crowded with obviously divided groups, some larger than others. In one small group Danielle spotted the state senator who she dined with yesterday.

"Senator Hughes. Good to see you." Danielle reached out a hand to sake.

"Miss LeRoy, I see you are acquainted with Stewart Bryant." The Senator gave a slight frown, appearing he did not favor her friend.

Stewart gave him a handshake. "Vern, glad you made it all the way from Nome."

"Alice and I now live in Juneau." Senator Hughes gave a nod toward the auditorium and turned away joining the crowd at the entrance.

With a firm hand rested on Danielle's back, Stewart escorted her to a central row where he chose to sit in an aisle seat. They stood as other people moved into the row. Nearly every one of them greeted Stewart as an acquaintance and nodded at Danielle as if she was his date.

An announcer appeared on the stage. The meeting, although sparsely attended, began. Anyone wishing to present reports on building the Susitna Dam was invited to take a seat on the stage. Five speakers took the seats.

The first speaker was announced as an assistant in the Governor's office. From her research, Danielle was aware of all the facts mentioned about long-term electrical power to a large district. Another speaker detailed the construction cost to be possibly six billion dollars. Someone else spoke about the high numbers of jobs for laborers and claimed the tourism industry would profit from attraction to a 42-mile-long reservoir.

The next was a state senator who had a dry monotone voice and repeatedly made the same statements as the last speakers. Danielle's thoughts began to wonder.

Stewart suddenly rose to catch someone passing the aisle. Her eyes lingered over the back his head. She was amused at how often imagining him made her wonder if his hair was black or dark brown. In the dim auditorium, thick black hair was trimmed gently on his neck. A possible delight to touch.

"Your date's got a smile. Them speakers entertaining her?" said an elder man, dressed in overalls and a plaid work shirt. His loud voice had others all around looking their way.

"Rocky, we are leaving right now. I'll let you meet her later, okay?" Stewart pulled on Danielle's arm, hustling her into the aisle.

"Okay, Stewart. I'll take your seat." The elder swept past and settled in.

Out in the lobby Danielle brought them to a stop. "Who is that man? Longtime friend?"

"Yes. He's a pioneer Alaskan who has been pushing hard over 40 years to get that dam built."

"He feels the need for electrical power in that area?"

"Not as much as building up jobs. Gold mining and building the oil pipeline did that. His attention is on labor."

"So far, those speakers have not given me any information I did not already have. It is tiresome to hear repetition."

"Well then, Miss Dani, let me take you to the State Fair. It happens every August. Want to go?"

"Why not? I'll get back to this tomorrow."

Since they both had cars at the University, they met again at the fairgrounds which was only two miles away. Their walk took them first to displays of horses, sheep, goats, pigs and rabbits. At farm products on show, Danielle saw unusually large zucchini and a 60-pound cabbage. They looked at baked goods, needlework, and art where Danielle bought unique Alaska designed mugs for Ginger and Tom.

Atop the Ferris Wheel, Stewart made her laugh at amusing childhood tales he had at fairs there every year. Next, at an outdoor sing-along showroom, Danielle raised her voice, but Stewart resisted, then tugged her away when it ended. They stopped at Stewart's favorite Greek food stand and ordered Souvalki to share at a picnic table.

"You have such good memories here. Your parents were mighty nice. I'm so sorry their lives were lost so soon."

He hesitated as his soft eyes dwelled over her. "Both your parents, sister and close friends all call you Dani?"

She nodded.

"It fits. You are very special, Dani."

A warmth, not related to sunshine, swept over her and gave her face a rosy glow.




Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. H.T. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Peter: worker on ranch
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cakemp55 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.