Supernatural Science Fiction posted May 24, 2021 Chapters:  ...64 65 -66- 67... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Safe and Sound

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe and enjoy!
It was dark when Nicolas pulled into the Covenant’s drive. Jena sat next to him in the passenger seat. Kian was in the backseat alongside Tim with both her wrists and ankles in restraints. As soon as the vehicle came to a stop, Detectives Manuel Sanchez and Frank Perkins parked their unmarked car beside them. 
   
Before Jena got out of the vehicle, Angie came running toward the passenger side with a worried look stamped all over her face. The second Jena stepped out, Angie pulled her into a tight hug. “Damn girl. You had me worried sick. Are you okay?”  

“Well, I’m still in one piece,” Jena said around a light chuckle.   

When Angie pulled from their embrace, she caught a glimpse of Detective Sanchez and his partner. They were guiding someone from out of the backseat. Her brows instantly drew together when a tall redhead stepped out. She was shackled in chains. Her broad shoulders and muscular physique reminded Angie of a female wrestler.

“Who the hell is that?” 

“One of my kidnappers,” Jena told Angie.

“What the f—” Angie said through gritted teeth as she started to go after the redhead.

Jena quickly put her hand on Angie’s shoulder. “Hold on, girl. You’re too late. I already gave her a beat down.”

Angie took her eyes off the redhead and looked Jena square in the eyes. “Are you for real?”

“Yep,” Jena said, grinning ear to ear. “And her twin sister too. Come to mention it, make that two times.”

Angie shrugged. “Two times?”

“Actually,” Jena went on to say, “I knocked them both out the first time around. Then her sister again. But this one…” She nodded her head in Kian’s direction. “I kept her conscious so she could help guide me out of that hell hole. And when I say hell hole, I mean that literally. I had to travel in a filthy underground tunnel for almost an hour. Not to mention all the unexpected surprises I came across.”

Angie cocked a brow. “Surprises?”

“Yeah,” Jena said. “And I don’t mean the good kind. I was attacked by what looked to be an experiment gone wrong. Believe it or not, there’s actually creatures uglier than the one I shift into.”

“I swear, Jena.” Angie shook her head. “You never cease to amaze me. And I think I like this new you. You’re one little badass, girl.”

Jena laughed again.   

Tim came forward and said, “Jena, we need to gather inside. Before we make our next move, you’ll need to give us a rundown on the situation with A&E Pharmaceuticals and this Dr. Henry Michaels. Anything you know will be helpful.”

“Kian will be more beneficial than me,” Jena said. “That is…” She rolled her eyes. “If you can get her to talk. Or tell the truth, for that matter.”

When they stepped inside the Covenant, Tessa greeted them at the door, looking at Jena with a soft expression. “Welcome back, Jena.” She reached out to hug her. “Are you okay?”

“Thank you, Tessa.” Jena hugged her back. “Don’t worry. I’m just fine.”

“Well now that we have you back safe and sound,” Tessa said, pulling away from Jena. “Everyone is waiting in the library to discuss the situation at hand.” Then she looked toward the tall, muscular redhead who was standing between Manuel and Frank. When Tessa moved closer, the woman scowled at her, but Tessa could see the fear behind her haunted eyes and her tough exterior.

“This is Miss Kian Adams,” Manuel spoke out. “Her and her sister Karina were involved with Jena’s abduction.”

“Miss Adams,” Tessa said, pegging Kian with a hard stare. “My name is Tessa Chamberlain. This is my home and my family. And I’m very protective of both. I’ll only tell you this once. If you disrespect either of them, I promise, you’ll not enjoy the grave repercussions of your actions. Do I make myself clear?”

Kian nodded in silence with her lip curled in distaste.

“Good,” Tessa said. “Now that we’re clear, let’s go meet with the others and discuss a few things. And by the way, Detectives,” she tacked on. “You’ll be happy to know we discovered some interesting information regarding this mysterious Shadow. Come to find out, Sebastian and his knowledge of mythology appeared to be quite resourceful after all.”

“That’s good to hear,” Manuel said. “We need all the help we can get. As soon as we deal with this situation, we’ll be ready to get back to solving that mystery. And there’s a possibility my partner and I may have a lead on this Joseph Harris guy.”

Tessa nodded in agreement. “It’ll definitely stay on our list of priorities.”   

To be continued. . .      




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one-hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants. She is their absolute law.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Angie Hawkridge - She is a Breedline and Jena's best friend.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Tessa Chamberlain - She is the Breedline queen.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.