Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 23, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Trying to bend the rules to suit....

On the Edge of Deception Pg 40

by Begin Again







 

After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell until he's discovered dead.


On the other side of town, Ty lies in a hospital bed, falsely accused of drug trafficking, hijacking, and so much more.  The proof of his innocence lies murdered on a dark country road.

Can either case be justly solved?


**************


Spider shut down the Harley’s engine and let the motorcycle glide to the curb. The seedy neighborhood was home to every walk of life. The area was an over-flowing buffet, from junkies to the homeless, the desperate to the young bloods, and the poor and defenseless; it was there.

 

Two twenty-something men lounged on the concrete steps of an eight-family roach-infested tenement. One had a jagged scar across his left cheek. The shorter one twirled a gun around his finger as if it was a toy. Empty beer bottles were scattered on the sidewalk. To them, it was just another hot, steamy day except for the Harley.

 

“Man, you livin’ dangerously bringing that ride into this neighborhood.” The shorter one slipped the gun into his waistband, stretching the kinks out his neck and back. “Be a shame if Paco and I took a shine to it.”

 

“Relax, Shorty. Me and Spider go way back.”  Paco acknowledged Spider with several fist bumps against his chest.

 

Spider straddled the bike, sizing up Paco’s sidekick.  His first impression wasn’t favorable, but then he wasn’t here for a popularity contest either. It was time to collect on a favor.

 

“Got your message.” Paco tipped his head toward Shorty. “We got this. Consider it done.”

 

“Your friend here understands I’m just lookin’ for a scare job, nothin’ more?”

 

“Yeah, just rough her up a little and tell her to keep her mouth shut, right?” Paco grinned, exposing two missing teeth.

 

“That’s right. Just a little reminder about how life in the neighborhood works.”

 

“Clears the books with us then, right?” 

 

“Yup.” Spider tossed an envelope to Paco. “Here’s a little extra cash to keep your friend focused, okay?”

 

“Appreciated.” Paco slid the envelope into his pocket, ignoring Shorty’s curiosity. “We’ll party tonight. Short and sweet.”

 

Spider started the Harley, revved the engine several times, hit the kickstand, tapped his finger to the side of his forehead, and roared away from the curb in true biker style.

 

**********

 

The night was humid. Beads of sweat trickled down Amanda’s back. The yellow cotton blouse clung to her skin. She lowered herself to the back porch steps, wiping her face with her hand.

 

“Sorry, Tiny. I had to cut our walk short tonight.” Amanda playfully ruffled the pup’s curly hair. She sighed and pulled herself off the step. She turned on the outside water spigot and filled a bowl with cool water. “Here, Tiny. You need a drink?” His response was immediate as he eagerly lapped up the water with his tiny pink tongue.

 

“Feel better now?” Amanda returned to the step and lit a cigarette. Old habits were hard to break. She took a long draw, feeling the burn in her lungs before she exhaled. A hazy cloud of smoke hung around her head. Relaxed, she leaned back and surveyed the world until her eyes were drawn to the empty house next door. The yellow police tape remained strung from tree to tree, a reminder of a crime. Goosebumps covered her arms. She inhaled the cigarette again before snuffing it out in a rusted can filled with sand. 

 

The sound of terrifying screams, the hysterical crying, and the loud, vulgar cursing filled Amanda’s thoughts. She’d been successful in blocking out most of it . After all, it wasn’t her business to interfere in someone’s family affairs. She’d held steadfast and kept her mouth shut if Beth hadn't looked so defeated.

 

Destroying a young girl’s life by blaming her for murder was something she didn’t think she could live with. She’d decided to talk to the police. Hank assured her the prosecutor would have to stop Beth’s trial once the police had the information. Amanda prayed he was right. She’d watched Nancy parade her high and mighty self around, not ashamed of flaunting her relationship with a married man.  The floozy hadn’t been very kind over the years, so whatever happened, Amanda wouldn’t waste her time feeling sorry for the woman. 

 

“Come on, Tiny. Let’s call it a night.” She waited for the pup to climb the porch stairs before opening the back door. The little dog hurried through the door, stopping abruptly.

 

Tiny’s hair bristled, and he started to growl. 

 

Amanda scolded him, “Tiny, stop your growling. It’s probably just a mouse. Maybe I should replace your scruffy butt with a cat.” 

 

His low rumble became a shrill bark. He cautiously moved forward, growling.

 

“Tiny, what’s the matter with you?” Amanda pushed past him, gently swatting at him with her hand. 

 

A leather glove clamped across Amanda’s mouth, stifling her scream. The feisty woman’s arms flailed in the air, trying to grasp the intruder’s hair or arm. The small dog instantly came to her defense, sinking his razor-sharp teeth into the stranger’s leg. 

 

Shaking Tiny loose, he planted his shoe firmly into the side of the tiny dog. Yelping in pain, Tiny flew across the room. Baring his teeth, the small warrior charged again. Shorty kicked at him viciously, knocking him against the wall. Paco grabbed Tiny by the back of his neck and tossed him in the bedroom, firmly closing the door. Amanda could hear his muffled whimpering.

 

Furious, Shorty slammed Amanda into one of the Queen Anne chairs. The violent force knocked the air from her lungs, and her head bounced against the upholstered back. 

 

“What did you do to my dog, you bastard?” Venom flowed through Amanda’s voice. 

 

“Sit there and shut up, or I’ll kill him with my bare hands. The filthy runt bit me.” Shorty rubbed his leg. 

 

“Let’s just make this short and sweet, shall we?” Paco stood menacingly close to Amanda. “Spider asked us to deliver a message. If you don’t want a return visit from us, you’re going to forget knowing anything about the house next door.”

 

Shorty leaned over the chair, snarling in Amanda’s face. “Next time, I’m going to break that stinking dog’s neck.” He twisted his fists together. “Snap it.”

 

The fear in Amanda’s eyes flashed to boiling hatred. She didn’t think, nor did she hesitate. Her right hand wrapped around the heavy brass candlestick on the end table, and she swung with all her might. The shiny base connected with the side of Shorty’s head.

 

Shorty stumbled backward and hit the floor. He screamed in agonizing pain. Blood spurted from the ragged gash near his temple. In seconds, he rebounded off the floor and started punching his fists into Amanda’s head, chest, and body, literally determined to beat her to death.

 

Paco slammed Shorty to the floor. “You’re killing her, you idiot.” Amanda lay motionless in the chair. Blood covered her hair and mangled face. Her nose was crooked, and a trail of red trickled down her face. The strange twist in her arm suggested the bone was broken.

 

Neither occupant of the house could utter a sound. 

 

“Come on.” Paco extended his hand to Shorty, helping him off the floor. Shorty shrugged his arm away from his friend. 

 

“You should have let me finish her off. Piece of trash and her mutt deserve to die.” Shorty spit at Amanda. 

 

“Shut up! Spider said, scare her, not kill her.” Paco shoved Shorty in the direction of the back door. “Let’s get out of here.”

 

“Just wanted to make sure he got his money’s worth.” Shorty snarled, “She’s not ever going to forget me.”

 

As the back door slammed, Amanda, broken and bleeding, lay unconscious. Her champion lay motionless on the bedroom floor. 

 

Paco and Shorty's mission was accomplished.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Daisy Mae Collins - bartender, a girl about town
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Armato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Garth Woodman (Jeremy) - Undercover FBI Agent
Paul Marietta Criminal Defense Attorney
Amanda - Culbertson neighbor
Spider - a love from the past and a friend for life
Paco and shorty - two neighborhood punks
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.