Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 16, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The wheels of justice grind slow...

On the Edge of Deception Pg 33

by Begin Again


After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell until he's discovered dead. While Tyson lies unconscious in the hospital, accused of drug hijacking and murder.






“Hank, it’s Ric. Are you anywhere near the courthouse?”

 

“Yeah, Bert and I are grabbing a sandwich at the Deli across the street. Why? What’s up?”

 

“The guard in the holding area called me. Left a message that a girl needs to talk to me or Hank Armato like yesterday.”

 

“Is she talking about Beth? What could have gone wrong?” Hank anxiously searched the line for Bert. Spotting her, he frantically waved, beckoning her to come back. 

 

“Can you meet me there? I’m downstairs, so it’ll only take me a minute or two.”

 

“No problem. I signaled Bert, so we’ll be there in five.”  His stomach growled.
 

Out of the corner of his eye, Hank saw Bert fight her way through the crowd of customers to get back to him. “What’s wrong? I didn’t get the sandwiches yet.”
 

“No time. Something’s happening with Beth. A guard called and left Ric a message. Said a girl was frantic about something.”

 

“Let’s go.” Bert scowled, “Food will have to wait.” Hank rubbed his stomach and shrugged. Bert chuckled, “Emmy says you need to miss a few meals, anyhow. Sorry.”

 

They rushed out of the deli, checked the traffic, and jaywalked across to the courthouse. The noon lunch crowd filled the elevator, so the duo chose the stairs, arriving steps behind Detective Ric Santiago.

 

Ric recognized the guard on duty and hurried over to check with her. Bert and Hank moved directly to the glass, scanning the room for Beth. She was sitting in the back of the room with another woman. 

 

“Hank, Bert! The guard’s husband is a friend of mine. She’s going to put us in a private room.” Expecting them to follow, he walked to where the guard was standing. 

 

“It’s 1:30. Court resumes in thirty minutes. I can only give you twenty minutes.”

 

Ric patted her shoulder, “Appreciate the help. We’ll make it quick.”

 

“I wouldn’t do this for everyone, you know.” she rapped her knuckles against Ric’s bicep.

 

“I know. I’ll owe you and that husband of yours a steak dinner if this pans out.”

 

**********

 

The trio entered the room and waited for the guard to escort Beth to the room. When the door opened, Beth rushed into Bert’s arms, exchanging a quick hug. She couldn’t control the flood of tears or the words tumbling from her mouth.

 

“Amanda… she knows …” Agitated, her head bobbed from one face to another.  “Hank, talk to her … she can fix it.” She gulped for air, “Bert, get me outta here, please.”

 

Bert stroked Beth’s hair, brushing the wet strands off her face. “Slow down.”

 

“No! I can’t.” Beth’s agitation was growing when the trio didn’t understand the emergency. “Listen… to me. It’s Amanda.”

 

Ric pulled out one of the chairs, “Beth, sit down. We only have a few minutes.”

 

“But she can help.” She spun around, facing Hank. “She’ll talk to you.”

 

Bert guided Beth to the chair and then sat next to her. “Beth, we want to help. I’m sure Hank can talk to this woman. Who is she? Just try and tell us what’s happened. Okay?”

 

Beth jumped out of the chair and grabbed Hank’s arm. “You know her, Hank. She lives next door.”

 

Beth’s garbled words were falling into place. Hank nodded, “The woman with the dog?” 

 

“Yeah, that’s her.”

 

“Beth, I tried talking to her twice. She had nothing to say.” He glanced toward Ric, “Did your guys get anything out of her.”

 

“Nothing's come across my radar about a neighbor, so I am assuming not.” Ric reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small notebook. Flipping it open, he quickly read a few pages. “Nope, no Amanda listed here.”

 

“Listen to me, Hank. She likes your car.” The first sign of a smile touched Beth’s lips, “She likes you. Says you weren’t like the rest.” Beth sniffed, took a deep breath, and continued, “She’ll talk to you.”

 

“Why’s she here?” Hank looked at Ric. “She’s in holding, so she’s here for something.”

 

“I’ll find out.” The detective didn’t want to add more stress to Beth, but he had to add, “There’s a possibility, this Amanda woman is just looking for a way out, using your case.”

 

“Nooooo! She wouldn’t do that.” Beth wailed. “She saw them.”

 

The guard knocked and opened the door. “Sorry, Ric. I’ve gotta take her back to holding.”

 

“I understand. Thanks!”

 

“Come on. It’s almost time for court.” Her mothering instincts tugged at the guard as she reluctantly pressured Beth, but she had a job to do. “You can talk to them again, later.”

 

“LATER! They’ll be sending me to prison.” Beth’s voice raised several octaves. “Bert, Hank, stop her.” She yanked free of the guard. “Pleeeaaase! Help me.”

 

“We will, honey. But you have to go with the guard.” Bert’s heart sank. Beth was distraught, and she couldn’t do anything to help.

 

Defeated, Beth started to sob, but she allowed the guard to escort her out of the room. She tossed one last terrifying glance toward the group but said nothing. 

 

Ric looked at his watch. “Court in ten. I gotta go.” He stepped into the hallway. “Hank, I’ll put a call in and see if I can get any information on Amanda. I’ll shoot you a message.”

 

Hank nodded affirmation, and Ric disappeared down the hallway.

 

“We better get back to the courtroom, too.” Beth’s emotional breakdown shook Bert. “At least, sitting there, she’ll feel our support. I hope!”

 

“You go. If you don’t mind, I’m going to see if I can talk to this Amanda woman.”  Hank offered a weak, crooked grin to Bert. “Maybe… maybe we got a break.”

 

**********

 

Deep in worried thought, Ethan stood near the hospital window, staring at the sky. At sunrise, the day looked promising, but in the last hour, the blues had slowly faded to a drab gray. In the distance, layers of dark, ominous clouds were building. The promise of a storm seemed imminent. 

 

Ty’s parents had returned home, promising to make another trip as soon as possible. For Ty’s sake, Ethan was pleased the rift between the parents and their son showed the beginning signs of healing. As his friend grew stronger each day, he knew sooner than later, the day of reckoning would arrive. Ethan’s faith in Ty’s innocence never faltered but believing something was true and proving it were two entirely different equations. 

 

His thoughts shifted to Beth. He struggled with the police accusations. He couldn’t accept the idea of Beth killing her dad. He’d rescued her, saw the angry red slashes across her back. He’d tended her wounds as she whimpered in pain. What kind of injustice allowed law enforcement to believe a battered teenage girl had the ability or the mindset to murder anyone, regardless of the circumstances? She hadn’t stood her ground and confronted him. She’d run, trying to escape his cruelty. He’d never forgive himself for allowing her to return to the house that day. Of course, he hadn’t had actual knowledge of her plans, but he felt he should have known. In his mind, he and Rachel were indirectly responsible for Beth’s problems. If only ...

 

Ty’s moan jerked Ethan from his heavy thoughts. He turned to greet his friend, “Good morning. About time you woke up, sleepyhead.”

 

A grin played at the corners of Ty’s lips. “Hi, pal.”

 

Surprise leaped from Ethan’s eyes. He rushed to the side of the bed. It was the first time in days words instead of moans crossed Ty’s dry, chapped lips. 

 

“Thinking about coming out of your cocoon? Hope so. It gets lonely sitting here staring at your ugly mug for hours.”

 

A weak “hmmmpf” slipped out. Ty shifted his eyes around the room, then reverted to Ethan. His look questioned his friend.

 

Ethan understood. “Don’t you remember them talking to you last night? They had a business matter to take care of at home. They promised to return.”

 

Ty closed his eyes for a moment. 

 

“It’s okay, Ty. They’ll be back. I promise.” After talking many hours with Ty’s parents, Ethan knew their change of heart was genuine.

 

“I… I need…” Tyson’s voice was raspy. He coughed, trying to clear his throat. “To talk.”

 

“In time, Ty. Wait till you’re stronger. I can guarantee you the police will have a lot of questions.”

 

“Jes...se shot…” Ty’s voice trembled, and he coughed again. His tired brown eyes searched his friend’s face for answers.

 

“It’s okay, Ty.  Relax. When you’re ready, you’ll tell us what happened. Until then, I know you didn’t do it.”

 

A glimmer of relief reached Tyson’s eyes before he slipped into a troubled slumber. Ethan released a heavy sigh as he grasped Ty’s hand.

 

I hope I’m right!




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Daisy Mae Collins - bartender, a girl about town
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Armato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Garth Woodman (Jeremy) - Undercover FBI Agent
Paul Marietta Criminal Defense Attorney
Amanda - Culbertson neighbor
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.