Supernatural Fiction posted May 10, 2021 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Dinner is Served/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new, so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
After a relaxing evening, Joseph and Carrie exited the restaurant and headed toward the parking lot holding hands. Before they made it to Carrie’s Volkswagen Beetle, she tugged his arm. “Wait…” she said, nervously gazing into his blue eyes. “I know it’s a workday tomorrow, but would you care for some coffee?”

“Say yes, Joseph,” the Shadow urged.

“Are you sure it’s not too late?” Joseph said, checking his watch. “I mean, it’s almost eight o’clock.”

“It’s not too late for me,” Carrie replied. “But I completely understand if it is for you.”

“Do it,” the Shadow continued to encourage Joseph. “You know you can’t resist her.” 

“Uh, sure,” Joseph said. “I’d love to. I’ve heard of this little café that’s open twenty-four hours. It’s not far from here, and my co-workers are always raving about the coffee.”

“Oh,” Carrie said, her voice sounding conflicted. “I was thinking of my place, but if you’d rather go there—”

“No,” Joseph quickly replied. “Your place sounds fine. But are you sure your roommate won’t mind? I wouldn’t want to intrude on a work night.”

“Oh, don’t worry about Jessica.” Carrie waved it off like it was nothing. “She’s been staying at Ryan’s place lately. And besides, she never goes to bed before two in the morning. Not even on weekdays. I don’t know how she does it. That girl can survive on just a few hours of sleep.”

“That’s crazy.” Joseph chuckled. “I’d never be able to get through the next day. Sounds like Jessica is one tough cookie.”

“Yeah,” Carrie replied with a smirk. “Jess is something all right. And tough has nothing to do with it. She’s been like that since we were kids. I think it’s just in her nature. I’ve never met anyone with so much energy. Back in high school, she’d try to keep me up at all hours just talking. Although, I never made it past midnight. But that didn’t stop her. She just kept on going. She’s like the pink Energizer Bunny. You know… the one on that old Duracell battery commercial?”

Joseph laughed again. “I can sense that about her. She’s seems like an energetic person, but also a great friend to you.”

“She’s the best,” Carrie simply said. 

“Well then,” Joseph said, smiling. “So, I guess I’ll meet you back at your place?”

“Sounds great.” Carrie’s eyes brightened. Then she released his hand and said, “I’ll see you soon.”

As Carrie reached out to open her car door, she halted her hand and quickly looked up when she heard the degrading sounds of a man’s catcalls. They were coming from somewhere in her proximity. Her eyes darted around, searching the shadows of the parking lot and then to the front entrance of the restaurant. But there were too many people to make out where it was coming from. And then, it immediately took her back to the incident of when she was attacked by those two men. As the horrifying memories flashed through her mind, pungent odors—a combination of cigarette smoke and dirty armpits—suddenly invaded her senses. In sheer panic, her eyes rounded, and she began to shake uncontrollably. Instantaneously, her body flooded with fear and her heart pounded as though it was going to beat straight out of her chest. 

“Carrie…” Joseph called out to her, noticing her odd behavior. “Is everything okay?”

When she didn’t answer, he moved next to her. The moment he placed his hand on her shoulder, she flinched and let out a yelp.

As soon as she spun around, Joseph pulled his hand back and said, “I’m sorry, Carrie. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Oh, Joseph, I’m—” She helplessly shook her head. “I’m so embarrassed. I haven’t felt so terrified since—” She covered her mouth with her hand, holding back the sobs that lingered in the back of her throat.  

“It’s okay,” he said, taking her against his body. “I promise…” he murmured close to her ear. “There’s absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.”

No matter how hard she tried to hold still, her body trembled in his embrace.

“My God… you’re shaking.” He lightly squeezed her. “Carrie, did something happen?”

His question brought her to tears. While she cried, he held her against his chest, cradling her in his arms.

When she finally stopped weeping, he pulled back and gently wiped at her tears. “Please, Carrie.” The cadence in his voice was kind and comforting. “Talk to me.”

“Something terrible happened,” she finally choked out. “Before I met you.”

His eyebrows drew together. “Do you want to talk about it?”

When she nodded, more tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Let’s go,” he said. “I’m driving you home.”

“But Joseph—”

He held up a halting hand. “It’s fine, Carrie. Don’t worry. I’ll pick you up in the morning before work and bring you back to your car.”

She smiled up at him. “Are you sure?”

“Of course.” He smiled back. “I’d do anything for you, Carrie. And whatever this is, no matter what, I want you to know, I’m here for you.”

“Thank you, Joseph. That means everything.”

“Come on.” He took hold of her hand. “Let’s get you home.”

As Joseph held the passenger door open for Carrie, she took one more look around the parking lot before she got inside his car. Everything seemed quiet, except for the pounding of her heart. It was beating so fast, she could hear the rhythm inside her eardrums. 

On his way around to the driver’s side, Carrie settled in, buckled her seatbelt, and leaned back against the seat. As soon as Joseph got behind the wheel, he reached out and stroked her cheek with his thumb. “Everything is going to be all right, Carrie,” he murmured. “You’re safe with me.”

“You’re getting good at this, Joseph,” the Shadow said. “I think she’s starting to trust you.”  
 

“You make me feel safe, Joseph,” Carrie replied, looking at him with soft eyes.

He forced the voice from his mind and thought about what he had to do to keep her safe. The thought of continuing to put her in danger literally turned his stomach. He hated lying to her. And Carrie deserved more than what he could give her. She deserved someone normal. Someone who wouldn’t hurt her.

The drive to Carrie’s place didn’t take long. It almost seemed to go by in a flash. As Joseph brought the Jeep to a stop in front of her apartment building, she yawned and unbuckled her seatbelt. The second she reached for the door, he put his hand on her arm and said, “You wait right here. Let me get that for you.”

She smiled at him and nodded in silence.  

It’s wasn’t long before they made it to her apartment door. She seemed nervous as she unlocked it and stepped inside. Joseph followed in behind her and waited as she secured the lock on the door. Then she flipped on a lamp that was setting on top of an end table next to the sofa. 

She faced him and said, “You still want some coffee, don’t you?”

“How about you sit down while I make the coffee,” he said, patting the cushion on the sofa. “Remember…” He winked. “I’m a man that knows his way around a kitchen.”

“But you made it last time.”

“I don’t mind, Carrie.” He placed his hand on her arm. “Besides, I enjoy making you coffee.”

“You’re so sweet, Joseph,” she said, smoothing her hand over his. “Thank you.”  

“You’re welcome.” He forced his hand from hers, letting it fall to his side. “One cup of coffee with sugar and cream coming right up.”  

While they sipped on coffee, Joseph listened to Carrie—although he already knew—as she confided in him about the two men who attacked her. Even though he didn’t know her at the time, and he’d witnessed the attack, it was painful to hear her tell her side of the story. He felt so damn guilty. He cursed to himself, thinking she should slap him for what he’d done. That same night Carrie was assaulted, she’d also been a target for the Shadow. What was worse, he’d planned on killing her. If it weren’t for the wolfish creature interfering and killing those men, god knows what might have happened to Carrie.

All this time, he’d been lying to her. And if she knew half the things he’d done… she’d be mortified. Now, here he was, pretending to be someone he wasn’t. He wanted to tell her the truth, he really did. But he couldn’t bear the thought. Because the truth would terrify her. And she would hate him.

Almost an hour later, they managed to polish off the entire pot of coffee. When she finished telling him about her horrific incident, there was an awkward silence in the room.

“I didn’t make you feel uncomfortable, did I?” she blurted. “I just wanted to… you know, tell you what happened.”

Joseph frowned. “No, Carrie. Nothing you could say would make me feel uncomfortable. I’m glad you told me. It’s just that I’m…” He nervously swallowed. “I’m angry with myself.”  
 
“But…” she muttered, shaking her head. “Why would you be angry with yourself?”

“Because.” He sucked in a breath. “I didn’t help you.”

“Oh, Joseph.” Her eyes grew sympathetic. “Don’t feel bad. You weren’t even there.”

Without saying a word, he got up and sat down next to her. “I’m so sorry, Carrie,” he said, shifting her body so she was nestled in the croak of his arm. “Please forgive me.”

The pain in his voice cut through her like a knife. “Joseph…” She tilted her head and looked up at him, her expression confused. “I don’t understand. Why would I need to forgive you?”

There was a pause like what she’d asked him didn’t register.

“Joseph…” Her hand shook just a little as she reached out and placed it on the side of his face. “What’s wrong?”

“Carrie, I won’t ever hurt you. I promise.”

“I know you would never hurt me.” She pegged him with a hard stare. “But why in the world would you say such a thing?”

“What are you doing, Joseph?” the Shadow groaned. “You had her eating out of the palm of your hand.”   

“Close your eyes for me, Carrie.”

His words surprised her. “What?”

“Please,” he said, his voice pleading.

In anticipation, she lowered her lids for him.

Then Joseph tilted his head to one side and gently put his lips to hers. When Carrie’s mouth opened with a gasp, his tongue slipped inside and stroked against hers.

Her heart soared, sensing his arousal the moment he let out a low purr. It wasn’t long before the passion between them grew and thickened.

As his kiss deepened, images swam in her head. Images of him undressing her, touching her, caressing her.

“Please…” she murmured against his lips, her mind imagining the feel of his weight on top of her. “I want—” Her voice trailed off the moment his lips moved to the crevice of her neck. The warmth and softness of his breath against her skin created a needy sensation deep down in her core.

“Joseph, I—”

“Say it, Carrie,” he whispered, his voice ending in a soft purr.

“I-I want you, Joseph,” she finally said, releasing a breathy sigh.

Carrie couldn’t believe how fast he moved. One second he was holding her in his arms, trailing kisses down her slender neck. The next he had her on the floor, underneath him. When he lowered his weight on top of her, she could feel his arousal probing through the fly of his jeans.

Carrie’s breath heaved out of her lungs in a heated rush.

“Do it, Joseph,” the Shadow demanded. “Kill her.”   

Without a warning, Joseph’s skin began to tingle all over, itching so badly he could barely stay still. He could almost feel the Shadow scratching from within, trying to claw its way out.

Oh, God, he couldn’t let it take control. If the Shadow took over…

Concern for Carrie’s life sent his heart into overdrive that only made the situation worse. He quickly turned away from her. When he inhaled a deep breath and released it, the sound of his breathing changed. It was as though there were two sets of lungs breathing inside of his body. And that’s when the shaking started. It began in his arms and worked its way down his spine.

“Joseph…,” Carrie said, noticing his strange breathing and the way his body trembled like he was on the verge of having a seizure. “Are you okay?”

When he turned back to face her, she screamed.

To be continued. . .
            
      
     
 




A reference for terms and cast of characters mentioned in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Jessica Phillips - Carrie's best friend and roommate. Ryan is Jessica's boyfriend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.