Supernatural Fiction posted May 3, 2021 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 64... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Dinner is Served

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new, so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
A few moments after Joseph and Carrie arrived at Corso’s and was escorted to their table, an awkward silence cropped up between them. Joseph seemed miles away as he sat there looking down, staring blankly at his menu.

Carrie reached out and slightly nudged his hand. “You seem quiet tonight.” 

“Are you going to break it off before or after dinner?” The Shadow spoke into Joseph’s mind, distracting him from Carrie. “I’d wait until after. Who knows? Maybe if you play your cards right, things may end up at her place. Lord knows when the last time you were laid.”   

When Joseph didn’t respond, Carrie raised her voice a little. “Joseph… is something wrong?”

Joseph ignored the voice in his head and looked up. “I’m sorry, Carrie. Did you say something?”

Carrie smiled. “I was just asking why you seem so quiet this evening. It seems like you’ve got a lot on your mind.”

“Oh, it’s nothing really.” He smiled back at her. “Just a work thing, that’s all.”

“You want to talk about it?”
   
He chuckled. “I’d bore you to tears.”

“Oh, come on,” Carrie said as she lightly patted his hand. “Nothing you could say would bore me. Besides, you’ve heard all about my job, not to mention all the drama with my boss. Heaven knows you’ve experienced Veronica’s bad behavior more than anyone should. So, it’s only fair you get to unload on me. And I’d love to hear more about what you do.” 

“You sure?”

Her smile broadened. “Absolutely.”

“Okay,” he said, shrugging one of his shoulders. “There’s a new position for the lead reporter coming up soon and I’m thinking of applying for it. I mean, I’m not getting my hopes up or anything, but still, I think I have a good chance as any.”

“That’s wonderful, Joseph.” Carrie’s eyes brightened. “I think you should definitely go for it.”

“Really?”

“Of course. Don’t you think you deserve it?”

The Shadow cackled. “A straitjacket, maybe, but not lead reporter. Unless… we kill all the other applicants.”

Joseph shut out the Shadow’s crude remark and said, “Well, there is this article I’ve been working on. And so far, my boss seems to be really impressed with it. He even mentioned that it could lead to a promotion.”

“That’s very exciting, Joseph. Sounds to me like you already landed the position.”
  
“Well, I wouldn’t put money on it, but at least I’ve got a shot at it.”

“So, tell me,” she said, leaning in closer. “I’m dying to know. What’s this article about?”

“Technically,” he hesitantly said, arching a brow. “I’m not supposed to say anything. It’s kind of classified.”

“Oh please…” Carrie pleaded. “At least give me something.”

“We’ll give you something, all right,” the Shadow mocked. “And I promise… dying will be at the top of the list.”

“I don’t know,” he said playfully. “This is top secret stuff. I’m not so sure if you can be trusted. If this gets leaked out—”

Joseph’s voice trailed off as Carrie poked at his shoulder. “Come on,” she groaned. “Stop joking around. You know I wouldn’t tell a soul.”

He had a grin on his face like a Cheshire Cat. “Okay,” he finally said. “But only if you promise to keep it a secret.”

“I promise,” Carrie said as she put her thumb and forefinger together and moved them along her closed lips, making a show of zipping them tight. “My lips are sealed.”

“Remember that car fire a few days ago? You know, the one outside that nightclub on Durant Avenue.”

“You mean Gemini Gentlemen’s Club?”

Joseph nodded and went on to say, “Well, I’m working that story.”

Carrie’s eyes rounded. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” he said, leaning in closer, keeping his voice low. “And I happen to know a guy who is kin to the club owner. What’s even better, this guy is one of my informants and he’s giving me all the details. Of course, he’s practically charging me an arm and a leg, but it’s top secret information that only the police have and they’re keeping all this tight lipped.”

“Do you think this is enough to get you promoted?”

“There’s still a few details I’m lacking,” Joseph said. “But even if I don’t get those, I think what I have could make the Chronicle’s front page.”

“Wow,” Carrie remarked with an astonished look on her face. “This must be some juicy stuff. So, did you discover who was in that car fire?”

“You can’t say a word, but according to my guy, it was the head physician at the Summit Behavioral Institute.”

“Oh my gosh,” Carrie gasped. “Are you saying it was Dr. Leonard Manos?”

“Yeah, why?” Joseph queried. “Did you know him?”

She nodded. “We refer some of our patients to Dr. Manos. He’s one of the leading psychiatrists in the nation. Who would do such a thing?”

“He may have been the leading psychiatrist, but apparently he wasn’t what you’d call ethical. Dr. Manos, along with the institute he worked for, was getting paid to do some sort of illegal research on their patients.”

“What?” Carrie furrowed her brows. “I can’t believe it. Are you sure?”

“I’m sorry, but I’m pretty positive. The institute was shut down a few days ago.”

“That’s horrible,” Carrie said, shaking her head. “Do you know who was paying them?”

Joseph sighed. “That’s the part I’m still trying to find out, along with the type of research the institute was getting paid to do.”

“Maybe I can do some digging of my own,” Carrie suggested.

“What do you mean?”

“My Uncle Frank is a detective,” she said. “I could ask him.”

“No,” Joseph quickly said. “I don’t want you getting involved. Plus, your uncle is not going to give you any information. He could lose his badge over that.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Carrie said. “And I wouldn’t want him to jeopardize his job.”

Joseph reached for Carrie’s hand and lightly gave it a squeeze. “Thanks for the offer, though.”

When she smiled, he pulled his hand back and said, “Hey, let’s change the subject and enjoy our evening. Remember, we're supposed to be celebrating your promotion.”

At that moment, a female waitress approached the table. Before she said a word, she stared down at Joseph in stunned disbelief. She was practically drooling over him. Her jaw dropped like she was lost for words. Finally, she got her mouth to work and said, “Oh my gosh.” She flipped her long hair back and kicked out her hip. “Has anyone ever said you look like that actor—”

“Keanu Reeves,” Carrie interjected before the waitress could get the words out.

The waitress took her eyes off Joseph and looked toward Carrie. “Yeah…” She bobbed her head up and down. “Doesn’t he, though?”  
 
“Come on now,” Joseph said with a chuckle, drawing Carrie and the waitress’s attention. “Don’t you think you’re over exaggerating just a bit there?”

“No way,” the waitress said. “You could be his twin when he played in the Matrix, except for your hair.”

Joseph’s eyebrows drew together. “What about my hair?”

“Oh nothing.” The waitress shook her head. “It’s just… yours is longer. More like Keanu’s hair when he starred in the John Wick sequels.”

Okaaay…” Joseph muttered, rolling his eyes.

“Listen to you,” the waitress pointed out. “You even sound like him. It’s like I’m actually meeting the real celebrity.”

“Well, in that case,” Joseph said in a quick-witted tone. “Is it possible to get our food order in?”

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” the waitress said around a giggle. “I guess I got carried away. It’s just that I’m such a big fan of Mr. Reeves. So, what can I get you, or do you need a few more minutes to decide?”

Joseph looked pointedly at Carrie. “You ready, or do you need more time?”

“No, I’m ready to order,” she replied. “I’ll have the Shrimp Verde with a glass of Pinot Grigio.”

“Fantastic,” the waitress said. Then she turned to Joseph. “And for you, Sir?”

“How ‘bout your beating heart?” the Shadow said, his voice laced with an upper-class British accent. “Served with some fava beans and a nice chianti.”  

“I’ll have the Creamy Pesto Shrimp,” Joseph said. “And make that two glasses of Pinot Grigio, please.”

The waitress beamed. “Coming right up.”

When she sauntered off, Joseph said, “Tell me the truth, Carrie. Are you just dating me because I look like a movie star?”

She laughed. “Just when I thought my secret was safe.”

“Really, Carrie.” Joseph’s expression drew serious. “Why are you dating me?” 

“You don’t seriously think I’m dating you because of your looks, do you?”

“No. I’ve seen myself in the mirror.” He smiled. “But I would like to know why such a beautiful, talented, and intelligent woman finds me appealing.”

“Don’t you see, silly,” she said, reaching for his hand. “You make me smile. You make me laugh.” She intertwined her fingers with his. “And more importantly, you make me… happy.”

At that moment, Joseph caught his breath. God, he’d never expected to hear that word from anyone, especially someone like Carrie. Happy. He made her happy. 
 
“Joseph… did I say something wrong?”

He swallowed the knot that had formed in the back of his throat and said, “Absolutely not.” His voice dropped until it was almost a purr. “You say everything right, Carrie. As a matter of fact, you couldn’t have said anything more perfect. And you…” He swallowed again. “You bring me happiness.”

“Loser,” the Shadow gritted out. “I knew you wouldn’t go through with it. Admit it. You’re completely whipped, Joseph.” 

To be continued. . .
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




A reference for terms, and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.