Humor Fiction posted April 8, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When Mom tells you to stay =

Maybe Heaven Can Wait

by Begin Again




















“I’m sorry, Mrs. Stiletto.” The young doctor struggled for words. “I did everything I could.”

“I understand. James was always a difficult child.” She bit her lower lip, fighting back the tears. “I know you did your best.”

Screaming erupted from her son’s room, “Excuse me, but I need to attend to my children.”

“We’re losing him, Mom.”  James’ siblings cried out, “We can’t hold him much longer, Mom.”
 

She hurried to the side of the bed. Her oldest son lay deathly still. His breathing was shallow and weak. She spoke softly to him, “James, I love you.”

There was no response. She leaned closer to her son and spoke, “The doctor says you are leaving us. I pray it isn’t so.” Her son’s eyes remained closed. She feared he was gone.

She turned to the other boys and said, “Johnny, you get his X-Box. Michael, you can have his computer.”

“What about me? What about me, Mom?” Matthew, the youngest child, demanded.
 

She looked at James and then back at Matthew before speaking, “I think I’ll give you Bella. Can you take good care of his dog?”

Johnny and Michael grabbed their mom’s arm. Their eyes were wide. “He moved, Mom.” 
 

The monitoring alarms started ringing. The children screamed, “He’s going, Mom. He’s going. Can’t you make him stay?”

A tear trickled down her cheek, but she stood tall by his bed. “You’re breaking your mother’s heart, but go if you must.” She reached out and took his hand, “I’ll try and understand.” 
 

The room was quiet except for her sobs. James opened his eyes, “Don’t cry, Mom. I can’t break your heart.” He smiled and added, “And they’re not getting my stuff, especially my dog.”

And they all lived happily ever after.




Recognized


Today, at the doctor's office, we were discussing my husband, and the doctor said Mike (my hubby) told him the reason he lived longer than he was supposed to was that I refused to let him die. Later, I saw this cartoon, and I had to write a story. Just something crazy!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.