Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 5, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When no one hears you cries for help -

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception - Pg. 8

by Begin Again


After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, jumping from the frying pan into the fire.





“Shut up, Jerk! Ethan probably dropped her off at the hospital.” Tyson unlocked the front door. “Watch some TV till I get back. Just don’t touch any of Ethan’s stuff.”

 

“Scout’s honor.” Holding up three fingers, he laughed and entered the house as Tyson headed down the sidewalk toward the college.

 

Unaware, Beth stepped from the shower, wrapping a towel around her slim, aching body.

 

********

 

Closing the door behind him, Jesse held up his three fingers again, amused as he mocked his friend, “Scout’s honor, Ty.” Instantly, setting the promise aside, he announced, “Time to eat. I’m starving.”

 

Nancy Galgato employed Jesse at Last Chance, a neighborhood bar. Officially, he was the night bartender, but his duties were far more critical behind the scenes. As Nancy’s right-hand man, he was invaluable, which often demanded even longer night hours. Last night was one of those times; he’d popped a couple of Adderalls, followed by numerous bottles of Heineken. Now the desired effect was gone, and he was exhausted and famished.

 

Opening the fridge, he frowned in disgust at the available menu. “Come on, Eth - leftover Peppi’s pizza or Charlie’s Chinese takeout.” His stomach churned, growled and then, rumbled like thunder, reminding him he hadn’t eaten since yesterday. “Beggars can’t be choosers, I guess.” 

 

Sighing, he chose the pizza slices and a Coke, grabbed a handful of napkins from the counter, and shuffled back to the living room, choosing his comfort over the kitchen table. 

 

Shoving the empty pizza box off the end table, it sailed unceremoniously to the floor. Jesse replaced it with his unappetizing snack. A late night of work after the bar closed, irritation with Tyson’s impromptu arrival at his front door, and lack of food was an excellent combination for the headache nagging at his temples. He turned on the TV, expecting a basketball game; instead, a special report interrupted the scheduled program. The newscaster repeated the story about the search for a teenage girl suspected of assault and robbery. Bored, he reached for the remote to change the channel as a picture of the young runaway appeared on the screen. For a brief moment, his interest spiked as he studied Beth’s photo.  

 

“Fiesty mama! Gave your daddy whats for, huh?” Jesse chuckled out loud, “He couldn’t have been much of a man.” Quickly losing interest, he shrugged his shoulders, letting his thoughts revert to basketball again.

 

The throbbing against his temples interfered with his channel surfing. He tossed the remote and leaned back in the recliner, massaging the pulsing pain. He picked up the slice of cold pizza, ripped off a chunk with his teeth. He gagged on the taste of stale anchovies. He spit into the napkin and then quickly took huge gulps of the Coke, attempting to wash the disgusting flavor of dead fish out of his mouth. He wiped his mouth with another napkin before tossing it on the table. 

 

“Oh, man, why didn’t I just stay in bed?” He grimaced. His breath reeked with anchovies. He dug into his jean pocket for a stick of gum, unwrapped it, and put it in his mouth. The fresh wintergreen flavor appeased his senses for the moment. 

 

The persistent pain throbbing beneath his temples threatened to light his short-tempered fuse. He regretted his decision to succumb to Tyson’s badgering and join him for their required gym workout. He wanted and needed sleep, but first, he needed relief from the building pressure. In his haste, he’d forgotten his stash; now, he hoped Ethan would at least have a bottle of ibuprofen.

 

As he perused the room, checking the bookcase and Ethan’s desk, he tripped over a stack of reference books, lost his balance, and crashed against the guest bedroom door, knocking it open. 

 

A piercing scream ripped from Beth’s throat as she rushed toward the bed and her clothes. 

 

Surprised, Jesse jumped from his undignified position on the floor and shoved the door, banging it against the wall. He tried to focus, but his leering eyes were busy roaming over the delicious morsel in front of him. “Woo-wee! What have we here!” 

 

 Beth’s fingers tightened around the towel, fully aware it was her only shield separating her from him. She moved around the bed, trying to widen the space between her and her unwelcomed intruder. The red, hot blush of embarrassment spread across her pale skin. Tiny water droplets dripped from her damp wavy curls. She was unaware the sunlight made her wet, dewy skin glisten like sparkling diamonds, offering a highly seductive vision to Jesse.

 

“Get out!” She shrieked, but her lips quivered with fear. “Can’t you see I’m not dressed?”

 

“Oh, yeah, there’s nothing wrong with my eyesight.” Headache forgotten, Jesse rubbed the growing bulge in his jeans. “And I definitely like the view.” He raked his fingers through his hair, brushing it away from his face. A lascivious smile spread across his face. His male hunger was more than evident.

 

“You’re disgusting. Get out or -” Beth’s voice faltered. Knowing how vulnerable she was, her mind raced. She was young and inexperienced, but she understood the vibes coming from Jesse. Her body quivered at the thought of the possibility that he would forcibly rape her.

 

His six-foot-five-inch muscular frame towered over Beth as he moved closer, stalking his prey. Terrified, she shifted to the right, hoping to widen the distance between them. Too late, she realized her mistake; she’d backed into a corner. There was no way out.

 

“Or what?” Jesse mocked her.  “Call the police? Sure thing! I just saw your cute little face on a wanted poster, babe.”

 

Her anger flared, and she snapped, “It’s a lie! I didn’t hurt anyone, especially my father.” She wrapped her arms tighter against her chest. Her eyes continued to dart back and forth around the room, praying for a means of escape. 

 

“That’s what they all say. Your tight ass is going to prison.”  His sarcastic smile never reached his cold, penetrating eyes. He understood the power he held over her, and he loved it. The fear in her eyes fueled his ego. He taunted her, “Did you give some of that to Ethan last night?”

 

Beth spat at him. “Drop dead!”  Her eyes dropped to the floor, unable to maintain contact as he caressed her with his eyes. He wet his lips and openly taunted her as his tongue flickered back and forth. Her stomach knotted, and bile rose in her throat.

 

“You’re one feisty little momma, aren’t you?” His mindset had shifted; her fear heightened his libido, overpowering any sense of right or wrong. “I’m not big on sloppy seconds, but for you, I could make an exception.” His eyes moved down her body, caressing each soft, delicate curve. Lust was raging through his veins, demanding to be released. His breathing was fast and ragged.

 

“Stay away from me.”  A flood of angry tears spilled from her eyes, streaming down her cheeks. Her trembling legs threatened to buckle beneath her. Searing pain from yesterday’s brutal attack racked her body. Everything about her screamed for help.

 

The four walls of the sparsely furnished bedroom were closing in on Beth. Staring at Jesse, she knew time was running out, and she needed a plan. Her eyes darted around the room, finally focusing on the dresser. A table lamp with a round glass bottom, a black hairbrush, and a can of air freshener were the weapons available. She chose the Febreeze as her preferred defense; it provided space between her and him. 

 

Decision made, her free hand grabbed the can, aimed it, spraying it directly at Jesse’s face. Almost like a battle cry, she screamed, “Get out! Get out!” Her bravery was short-lived.   Violently, batting away the aerosol, Jesse’s tirade of curses vaporized her momentum, leaving only a trembling shell. She ended her valiant assault with a barely audible whimper, “Please, get out!”

 

His eyes burned. Cursing, he wiped at them before directing his rage toward his attacker. Any inkling of reversing course vanished. Anger spilled from his mouth. “You’re going to regret that!”  He unbuckled his belt, menacingly moved toward Beth. “Payback is hell! And I'm about to collect.” 

 

His swift movements caught Beth off-guard. Lunging forward, he grabbed her arms and tossed her on the bed with one fluid motion. As he pinned her down, she tossed her head from side to side, sobbing and begging, “Stop! Stop! Please, don’t do this.” Her pleas fell on deaf ears.

 

A deadly cocktail of anger and lust exploded inside Jesse. He jerked the wet towel from her tightly balled fingers, and his broad hands clamped around her breasts. “It’s your lucky day, Bitch.” He pressed his open mouth against her tender skin. She struggled frantically, writhing under his revolting touch. 

 

Paralyzed beneath his muscular body, she screamed, “God, make him stop. Make him stop.” As he pushed her body into unfamiliar territory, she begged, “Help me, please.”  Excruciating pain ripped through her.

Squeezing her eyes closed, she prayed she would die. She was losing the will to fight, but then, yesterday’s image of her father pawing at her struck her like a bolt of lightning. Instantly, she reacted; her fingers clawed at Jesse’s face, sinking her nails into his unshaven cheeks. His response was brutal, viciously striking the side of Beth’s head. Her head wobbled as the room filled with spinning stars. It was her last thought as darkness surrounded her, and she slipped into oblivion. 

 

Satisfied, Jesse rolled over on the bed and zipped his jeans. He’d proven his manly prowess and reaped his reward. Beth’s motionless body had no visible effect on him. He was content. It was time for him to leave.

 

He pulled the door closed and leisurely strolled across the park. Not once did he consider Beth or anyone else’s reaction to what happened. The girl was Ethan’s problem, not his. In his mind, she’d flaunted and teased him till he couldn’t refuse. After all, he was a virile, hot-blooded twenty-two-year-old who enjoyed sex. Nothing wrong with that, right?

 

************

 

Beth slowly regained consciousness. As the horrifying memories flooded her mind, she wept. Jesse’s cruel actions had snuffed out all her “Barbie doll dreams” of romance, love, and beautiful ever-afters. He’d stolen more than her virginity. The rose-colored glasses were gone, replaced with distrust and disillusionment. Her heart was heavy. She’d begged God to save her, but he’d not answered her prayers. 

Despite the unbearable pain, she knew she needed to escape. It hadn't proven to be safe here. What if he returned?

Working off pure adrenalin, she forced herself to dress and comb her hair. She needed a quiet place to rest and find a plan, but first, she needed clothes other than what she was wearing. Thoughts of Rachel's betrayal brought tears to her eyes. Angrily, she brushed them away. She hoped her one-time friend had kept her word and brought the backpack to the park.

 

If she was going to survive, she knew she’d have to do it alone. She could trust no one, not even God.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson and bartender at Last Chance
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.