Romance Fiction posted April 4, 2021 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gabriel attempts to talk with Katherine.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 14 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys need?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As she stood inside, Gabriel walked in wearing a towel and using another one to dry his hair. "Kate, what are you doing in the male locker room?"

She turned around so her back was to him. "Looking for you."

"You found me."

She held up the paper. "I have the list of girls interested in cross country."

"Good. The meeting's in less than thirty minutes. Are you going to give it to me or hold it?"

"You're not dressed."

"I know. I thought I'd better shower before the meeting, and then you showed up." He chuckled. "I didn't think it was possible but even your arms are blushing."

She set the paper on the floor. "Here's the list." She ran out the door.

Mr. Edwards passed her in the hall. "Mrs. Riley, are you all right?"

"No!"

*****
He opened the door and walked in. "Gabe, what did you do to Mrs. Riley? She ran out of here like..." He closed his eyes. "You didn't."

"I didn't do anything but walk out of the shower. I guess nobody told her she wasn't allowed in the male locker room. I wasn't expecting her or any female. I'm just trying to get ready for the meeting. At your feet is the list she brought. That's as close as she came."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 14 part 1 day 13

Early Thursday morning, Gabriel waited in front of Katherine's house. After fifteen minutes, he petted Reggie's head. "She's not coming. I'm actually innocent this time. Let's go." He continued his run.

At school he waited in the office, hoping to talk with Katherine. When she didn't show, he checked her schedule, and saw her planning period started at two o'clock.

As Gabriel started to leave, Bill walked up. "Why you hanging around the office?"

"I was hoping to talk with Katherine."

"After what happened yesterday, it might be a while before that happens. She was pretty shaken."

"You heard about it?"

"She's friends with Angie and called last night. You really messed up this time." Bill scanned the area. "Maybe we should go someplace more private." After they went in Gabriel's classroom and locked the door, Bill continued, "She's not sure she can face you."

"I didn't do anything."

"Except walk out of the shower wearing a towel."

"Exactly. She was in the male locker room. I wasn't expecting anybody, especially her."

"She didn't know where your office was."

"Why's she upset? I'm the one who was compromised. She was married and had children with the man. She's the mother of four boys. She's seen half naked males before. It doesn't make sense. This is a 'have an embarrassing moment and then laugh it off.' It's no big deal."

Bill unlocked the door. "I've already said too much. You need to talk with Katherine."

"That's what I'm trying to do. I also need coffee."

Both men left the room.

As Gabriel passed Mr. Edwards in the hallway, he said, "I'm getting coffee."

"She's still not talking to you?"

"Nope." He left the building.

*****
As Katherine's fourth period pre-calculus class filed out, Gabriel entered. "Mrs. Riley, we need to talk."

Studying the top of her desk, she said, "I have nothing to say."

After locking the door, he walked to her desk. "I don't want somebody walking in and overhearing something that's none of their business." He set a paper on her desk. "Here's a map of the school. Highlighted in yellow is my office. Now, you know where it is. The male locker room is off-limits to females."

She fingered the map. "So you're saying this is my fault."

"Yes." He paused. "I had to go to the meeting and didn't think I should show-up all sweaty from practice. It was 105 degrees outside. I didn't have time to go home and shower. We have a perfectly good shower system in the locker room. How was I supposed to know you were going to walk in an entirely male area?"

Katherine still refused eye contact. "Because you knew I had to give you the number of girls who signed up. It would stand to reason I'd bring them to you. Any reasonable person would come to that conclusion."

"In the male locker room?"

She was silent for a few moments and then attempted to walk around him. "I need to be somewhere."

Gabriel moved in front of her. "You're not going anywhere until this is solved. We work together. We'll need to communicate." When her blue eyes met his, he continued, "I've come to enjoy our friendship." In almost a whisper, he asked, "Why'd this incident bother you so much?" When she didn't answer, he continued, "This is a 'we both get a little embarrassed and laugh it off situation'. I'm confused."

Katherine released a deep breath. "I'm not sure."

Gabriel hesitated. "When we're finished with the physicals, I'm coming by, we're going to talk." He leaned over and gave her a brief hug. "I care about you."

*****
That evening, Angie walked by Katherine's SUV in the parking lot and knocked on her window. "Are you getting out? I thought you were helping with the physicals."

"I am, but after it's over Gabriel wants to talk about yesterday."

"What are you going to say?"

"I have no idea. He has six pack abs. I can't tell him he's the sexiest man I've ever seen and how it made me feel. His ego's already too big."

"You'd better figure it out. He doesn't give up."

"I know."

As the ladies entered the gymnasium, Gabriel walked to them. He handed Angie a map. "Can you direct traffic like you did last year? Here's a list of areas the kids go for their physicals."

He bit his lower lip. "Kat..., Mrs. Riley, would you mind managing the girls' cross country table? You'll collect their signed physical permission slips and remind them practice starts after school Monday. The first meet is next Saturday morning starting at eight o'clock. You'll only have a week to practice. Sorry, about that. It's the best I could do on short notice."

"Gabriel, I mean Coach."

"We'll talk later." He walked away.

When the last student followed the line for physicals, Katherine arranged papers. I wonder what the best hill would be to practice running up and down. I'll have to ask around.

She noticed Gabriel talking with her mom and took a deep breath.
He's going to expect answers. I have none.

Jordan walked up. "Mom, how soon can you leave?"

She glanced around. "I think as soon as I give Coach these papers."

He took the papers. "Pack-up. I'll give them to him."

After Jordan handed Coach the stack of papers, Gabriel glance at Katherine and nodded.

*****
When Katherine and Jordan arrived home, she had the boys follow their nighttime routine. I wonder how much time I have before Gabriel shows up.

She answered her ringing phone. "Hi Angie. He's not here, yet." She listened. "I have no idea what I'm going to say." Again, she listened. "I'm positive the truth is out of the question. I'm not going to tell him that I find him incredibly attractive. His ego barely fits on the football field as it is." After listening, she said, "Just because I find him attractive doesn't mean I have feelings for him." She was silent. "There are headlights outside. Wish me luck."


CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#6
April
2021


Thank you google images for the photo of a frustrated woman. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1000 words. Thank you for having patience with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.