Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 1, 2021 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When things can't get worse - they do

A chapter in the book On the Edge of Deception

On the Edge of Deception - Pg 7

by Begin Again





After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
 




The rising sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky. The warm shafts of sunlight flowed through the window, filling the room with warmth. Immersed in a dream, Beth snuggled deeper beneath the comforter, allowing her thoughts to carry her away.

 

The sun glistened across the pond like spun gold. The scent of lilacs floated on the breeze. Birds chirped a musical song as she drifted lazily along in the tiny rowboat. A handsome stranger with a warm, inviting smile carefully dipped the oars in the water, one side at a time. He told a joke, and she laughed. She couldn’t remember ever being so at peace. 

 

Suddenly, without warning, dark threatening clouds covered the sun. The water became choppy and rough; the tiny rowboat rocked from side to side. Water rushed into the sinking boat. Her handsome stranger stretched out his arms, beckoning her to come to him, promising to keep her safe. She touched his hand but suddenly is jerked back, descending into the murky, dark water. Her arms flail against the sinister creature, fighting to survive. He pulls her down, down, down. Her father’s face is laughing hysterically.

 

A piercing, horrific shriek exploded from the deepest depths in Beth’s lungs, jolting her into a sitting position. A guttural moan followed as excruciating pain ripped through her body. Terrified, Beth clutched the comforter as if it was her only link to life. Her rattled senses confirm she wasn’t drowning, but the fear of not knowing where she was terrified her.

 

Trembling, Beth slipped out from beneath the covers and walked to the bedroom window. As she peeked through the blinds, she saw a familiar sight; the park was across the street. She breathed a small sigh of relief; at least she knew where she was. 

 

As quickly as she’d found relief, it vanished. Visions of Dwight towering over with his belt and beating her flooded her thoughts. The taste of fear and uncertainly claimed a stranglehold on her. She wondered if he was searching for her, or was he glad that she was gone? She’d been rescued and cared for last night, but by whom and was it safe? There had been two guys; one kind and caring, the other called her a bum, a drug addict. Could she put her trust in strangers? Her gut told her not to take a chance.  

 

Until she knew who she could trust, there was only one person, her best friend.  “Poor Rachel! I bet she’s frantic.” The words blurted out of her mouth. She scoffed at her reflection in the mirror. “You’re talking to yourself. Get a grip. Just call Rach. You know her Mom will let you crash there.” She shrugged. “Crisis temporarily solved.” Looking around the sparse room, she didn’t see what she needed, a phone.

 

Having a plan boosted her spirits. She tiptoed to the bedroom door, pressing her ear tightly against it, and listened. Everything was silent. Nervously, she cracked open the door and peered out into the living room. 

 

It wasn’t warm and cozy; instead, it felt cold and practical. A dark brown leather couch and matching chairs with an abstract carpet on the floor sat squared off with a 65-inch TV on the wall. On the black end tables, there were matching metal-framed lights, magazines, a pizza box, and empty pop cans. 

 

“Jackpot!” A phone was lying amidst the discarded pop cans. She opened the door wider, surveyed the room, and hurried to claim her prize. Grabbing the cell phone, she returned to the bedroom and closed the door. With the phone in both hands, she squeezed it tightly against her chest and, for the first time, smiled. It was a small victory, but a much-needed one.

 

For safety, she moved into the adjoining bathroom, punched in Rachel’s number, and waited. It was early, but she knew her friend would answer.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Rach, it’s me!”

 

“Beth?  Are you crazy calling me? If my Mom hears us, I’m dead.”

 

 Beth could hear the panic in Rachel’s voice, but she didn’t understand. “Why? I’m your best friend.”  She was confused. “She likes me.”  

 

“Well, after what you did, she said I better never speak to you or be around you.”

 

“What I did? I don’t understand, Rachel. Dwight beat me with his belt, and I ran away.” Beth sighed, “She’ll understand.”

 

“I’ve got to get off this phone before she hears me. I’m really sorry, Beth. I gotta go!”

 

“Wait! Wait! We’ve been friends forever, and you’re dumping me  - why, because I ran away?”

 

“It’s not about you running away, Beth. It’s what you did.” Rachel was fighting back the tears and the fear of getting caught.

 

“What I did? I have no idea -”

 

“Beth, the police were here last night. Dwight’s in a wheelchair. He says you hit him in the head and stole a bunch of money. There’s going to be a press conference this morning.”

 

“Rach, this isn’t funny.” Too much had happened in the last twelve hours for Rachels’ humor.

 

“I know, and I’m not joking.” Rachel fought to muffle her sobs. “My dad was at your house. He took a picture so he could show Mom and me. Your dad’s head is all wrapped up in bandages. I didn’t want to believe it. The police are going to press charges against you.”

 

“No, no. no. It’s not true, Rach.” Beth choked on her words.  “What am I going to do?  I was hoping to stay with you for a while.”

 

“That ain’t happening. The best I can do is drop off some clothes on my way to school, but I can’t see you. I don’t know what to say, Beth. I know your dad was mean, but you tried to kill him.” Her heart was racing. She believed something horrible had happened, but to try and kill her father. She couldn’t wrap her head around it.

 

“Rach, this is me you’re talking to. You know I wouldn’t do something like that. You’ve got to believe me.”

 

“I’m sorry. I really am, Beth. If it was just your dad, I might, but there are others. Neighbors are saying all kinds of horrible stuff.” Rachel didn’t want to believe it, but she’d seen the pictures and heard the police. “I guess I never really knew you.”

 

“They’re lying! You’d believe them over me? I thought-”

 

“I gotta go. Mom’s calling me for breakfast. I’ll leave a backpack with some clothes in the park where we always hang out. Bye, Beth.” The phone went dead.

 

Nausea hit her full force, and she grabbed the bathroom sink to steady herself. Her legs were wobbly, her pulse raced, and she struggled to breathe. The friendship she thought she could always count on was gone, vaporized into thin air.  First her mom, now Rachel, all because of her dad. “I hate you! I hate you!”

 

It started as a gurgle in her throat, building by the second until a gut-wrenching scream ripped from her body. Her flailing fists assaulted the wall, the floor, and every available surface. Disbelief and overwhelming grief gripped her tighter and tighter until she began to retch violently. Finally, exhausted and unable to move, she curled up like a fetus and lay there in shock, whimpering.

 

After about an hour, her strength began to return. Beth sat up, knees tucked to her chest, rocking back and forth. As the brain fog lifted and clarity set in, it was painful to accept that family and friends had betrayed her. She couldn’t trust anyone. She needed a plan, a new plan, and time to figure it out. 

 

First, though, she needed a shower because she had no idea when she’d have the chance for another one. Decision made, she started the water running and gingerly removed her clothes and the gauze. A chill went through her as she caught a glimpse of her back in the mirror. Not wanting to think about it, she stepped into the shower. It was time to leave before anything else happened.

 

**********

 

“Man, you sure about this?” Jesse rolled his eyes. “Since that bar thing, Ethan hasn’t spoken to me. He’s not going to like me crashing at his pad.”

 

“Leave Ethan to me. Besides, I’ll only be gone for an hour. Ethan’s got classes until noon. I’ll be back, and we’ll be gone. He’ll never even know you were here.”

 

“Okay, man, he’s your friend. He’s too much of a preppie for me.”

 

Hey, I get it! But Ethan’s one of the good guys. You should have seen him last night, trying to help this homeless bitch. She was out of it, moaning and screaming. I told him to leave it be, but he wasn’t listening.”

 

“What did he do with her?” Jesse made an obscene gesture, running his tongue back and forth between his lips. “She was probably asking for it. If that had been me, I sure would have tapped it.”

 

“Shut up! Ethan probably dropped her off at the hospital or something. I wasn’t messing with her.” Tyson unlocked the front door. “Watch some TV till I get back. Just don’t touch any of Ethan’s stuff.”

 

“Scouts honor.” Holding up three fingers, he laughed and entered the house as Tyson headed down the sidewalk toward the college.

 

Unaware, Beth stepped from the steamy shower, wrapping a towel around her slim, aching body.





Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.