General Poetry posted March 6, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An Octava Rima for the Potlatch Challenge

Bedazzling Beauty

by June Sargent

My feathers lack deep shades of green and blue,
but that will never take away my glam.
I'm still a prideful peacock through and through.
A brother from another mother, I am.
They call me an albino - that's not true.
My leucism is real - I'm not a sham.
My mesmerizing whiteness is unique.
Bedazzled ladies fall for my mystique.




You may wonder why this peacock lacks the usual blue and green coloration. Some would guess that they're albino, but that's not the case. White peafowl have a genetic mutation called leucism. This causes the inability of pigment to be deposited into their feathers which results in a white appearance.
it's impossible not to be dazzled by their appearance. The males in particular, who have a much longer train, are mesmerizing. These trains have about 150 feathers and reach their full length when peacocks are about two years old. Their feathers glisten in the sunlight as they try to attract a female partner.

Historically, they symbolized purity, eternity, and unconditional love. While some white peacocks can be found in the wild, it's more common that they're the result of selective breeding and held in captivity, where they can live for up to 50 years.

Octava Rima: 8 lines of 10 or 11 syllables. Rhyme scheme: abababcc
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by eileen0204 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.