General Non-Fiction posted March 1, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Enormity of the Ripple Effect

Circular Conjectures

by Elizabeth Emerald

This afternoon, I dropped by to visit my friend Scott, who owns a vacuum repair shop. Scott sells parts at cost and is so soft-hearted that he declines to charge for quickie repairs. For these reasons, Scott is obliged to work evenings at an appliance store cleaning toilets.

Last Monday evening, Scott reported for work only to find the store darkened. Figuring that they'd chosen to close for President's Day, Scott turned away.

At that moment he noticed the memorial wreath in the window.

How patriotic, he thought, to honor the holiday. Peering closer, Scott was horrified to find displayed upon the ribbon the store owner's name and date of death, which had occurred the day prior.

It later transpired that Al had been killed joy-riding in his ATV. The road had been icy; he spun out and was hurled head-first onto the pavement.

The reason Al had been so reckless was that he'd been drinking.

The reason he'd been drinking was that he'd met up with a customer at a bar.

The reason he'd met up with a customer at a bar was that Scott had referred the fellow (an acquaintance looking to purchase a refrigerator) to Al.

They'd hit it off and decided to grab a beer.











 



Recognized


Down On The Corner by John2174 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.