Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted February 27, 2021 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Another type of diary

A chapter in the book Wisdom

The life of an immigrant

by Iza Deleanu



Welcome! Here is the Eldorado! Well, this was my first thought when I have landed here. Oooo, Canada... However, as soon, as you are landing all the problems come rushing towards you!

"Do you need a place to say? There is no problem. You can rent... but do you have the money? "

"Well, I was thinking to get a job, and... You know..."

"Well, I know, but money first, and after that a place for renting!"

"Fair enough! In your head, you thank God for that 10 000-dough policy to immigrate to Canada, otherwise, you could end frozen under a bridge. You dumb ass, why were you in such a rush to come in freaking December, couldn't you wait until summer. Why the heck did you rush here in the middle of nowhere in the land of Frozen more than 6 months per year."

Of course, you have no idea that nothing you have done before counts! Your life starts from zero. Frankly, it does not matter that you are not a young lad anymore. After all, nobody pushed you to jump in that transcontinental plain, to sell everything, leave all sorrows, hopes and think that you are going to be successful based on your professional integrity and morals. You wanted a new beginning, a chance to prove to the world and to yourself that you are in control of your destiny. Welcome, and leave all your aspirations behind because here you are like a newborn baby! The moment you cross the customs your odyssey starts without delay.

Your momma trained you well. The first rule of survival: find shelter, then food, and finally but not the last thing on your do-to list, is to find a job.

Now here is how your troubles/sorrow starts. The first obstacle is finding a job: apply on-line! Well, as a good citizen, you do that, following all the requested steps. At the end of the day, you have 100 accounts, 100 passwords, and a huge headache! All the career counselors have told you that after you apply on-line for a job is better to follow up with a phone call. What do you have to lose? You are doing that, and surprise the so-called recruiter/talent acquisition has no idea what are you talking about! After listening to your request, they finally agree to have with you an interview via Mr. Phone, and this just to give you false hopes, or just because they need to record in the system that they did their job that day. Here it comes, the first question:

"Have you worked before in Canada?"

"No, I just landed!"

"Landed, ha, ha, ha another dreamer", mutters the recruiter under his breath. "Well, you have first to work... anything, and after that, you can apply to any position available; or you can change your profession just by going back to school."

"Work? Yes, let's talk about it, therefore I am here, I need to work I need a job... anything? Would you help me please?"

"Well, about that, I can help you after you get some work experience, not before. You see our recruiting company is placing only people who have some work experience... the economy is kind of bad, so we need qualified people with certain skills."

Another year goes by, you have been in school, obtain another qualification; even worked for a couple of months anything, anywhere. You cannot be fussy, you just take whatever you can to meet the criteria of the recruiters and to get that precious Canadian experience. You knock again at heaven's door hoping this time to get a real job according to your old and new set of skills.
Now your head is full of dreams, and you think, I have a new qualification and I have some experience let us play this game again! Another year, another luck at least that is what they are saying in the country from where you come. Again, hundreds of resumes, hundreds of registration forms, and the result are again: zero. Now, you have the experience, but not in the field, you are applying for.

In your country, normal people have a normal childhood:  first school, and after school, work. Here school is optional, first work and maybe later... some school. Can you compete with somebody who is 17 years old and have already 4 years' experience? I guess, not! So, what the hell, are you doing here? Even for the most common jobs, you must apply on-line, and of course, you are overqualified, or you are not a visible minority!"Hey, what the heck... is going up here!" Frustration is hitting the boiling point. "Hey! I am visible: I am a black and white over-educated furry! However, I have no job! I have studied, but they don't count! I have the will to do anything, but who cares? Now I look in the mirror and shout to myself: I am a joke! I was thinking that I have talent, qualifications, work experience, and maybe, maybe that I can make a difference. "Nevertheless, we are so many!" responds a voice from the choir
.
I am sitting in the shadow of my ELDORADO. Where do I have to hide my failure? Back home, everybody is thinking that I have a super life! However, who knows that I am struggling between two worlds? I cannot go back because I have lost my place there. I am trying to find a place here, but nobody is taking the trouble to listen to my voice. I am one of the many. My face is wearing the marks of despair, but this is not a special mark among the locals, people like me are invisible, we are just laying in the street solid as rocks! From time to time a politician who needs votes or another celebrity who needs free, heart-breaking publicity uncover our faces to the media. Once the show is over, we go back to our permanent community: loser anonymous.

Now at the end, I have just one piece of advice to give for the future "willies" who want a piece of Eldorado:

"Guys, if you want to succeed you have to be prepared to be the "perfect...hit" in translation the perfect fit, shit - liar! Ladies and gentlemen, hypocrisy is the name of the game! The best person is lying is the best fit. A computer hires you! Can you bribe the criteria of selection? Sure, you can! Pay an expert and you are in, bro!

The beautiful words and the theories of hiring are beating one hundred percent the real person! After 9/11 the humanity has entered a new era: the era of "I have no time for you!"Twitt me, Facebook me a profile, and I MMS/Pinterest you my offer. What kind of technology is this? In my tree, we didn't have such advanced technologies. Before, we used to listen carefully to the person in front of us! We had a heart and a soul, no all we have is: "money walks equal monkey talks!" Oh! Shut up and stop complaining, we have mortgages, cars, and bills to pay! The beat of the heart is not an available currency! Take your beat and go back to your tree! No time, there is any time, for losers in this world!"

 




That is how felt in 2009 when I moved to Canada, and unfortunately there are days when I feel the same.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.