General Fiction posted February 26, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
with a little help

Angelo's Answer

by pome lover



 
Angelo was a flirt. He whistled at females—his sister’s friends and even his mother’s!

His family was embarrassed.

He kept a stash of sugar cubes that was his “signature.”  With a small ribbon tied around one, tiny cube, every female he’d given one to thought it was the cutest, most original idea. Cheaper than flowers, by a long shot, he thought. When he saw a good-looking female, he’d present her with one with a tiny note tied to it, with one flattering word.

All females, he reasoned, young and…older, loved sweets, so with a sugar cube and flattery, he couldn’t go wrong. He was “just the cutest thing.” It made him feel good. Like he was... important.

One day, after he’d presented one to his sister, Annabelle’s best friend, Annabelle confronted him. “Angelo, you have got to stop this stupid flirting. You’re embarrassing me and you’re embarrassing Mom, especially, flirting with her friends!”

“I can’t help it if I love the ladies,” Angelo said, grinning. “And you know what? They love me.”

“Well, it’s got to stop,” his sister fumed. “Mom says if you don’t, you’re going to be punished. Big time!”

But Angelo loved the attention.

One day, he definitely crossed the line when he pinched the derriere of his Aunt Milly. It was really an accident. He was day dreaming about Amy Sue, in his class, and it just happened.  When Aunt Milly whacked him, he jolted back to the present and apologized.

Later, he thought how mortified he’d have been if he’d actually pinched Amy Sue’s… um.  He really liked her. He didn’t want to flirt with her, he wanted to sincerely tell her how he felt about her. But he couldn’t. He didn’t know how.

Finally, after weeks of suffering, he asked his sister.

Annabelle hadn’t realized her little brother was smitten. Maybe if she helped things along a bit for him, he would stop his stupid behavior. Through her friends’ grapevine, she made sure word of Angelo’s feelings reached Amy Sue.

One sunny, beautiful Saturday morning, Angelo heard his name being called. He hurried up his hill to see who it was.

There stood pretty, smiling Amy Sue ant, with a sugar cube for him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         




Surprise Me writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
This is a flash fiction contest. Write a story that has a surprise ending. Since it is flash, the word count must be between 200 and 600 words. The ending can be funny, sad, shocking, etc. But the reader has to be surprised.


did you guess? I hope not.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.