Sports Non-Fiction posted February 20, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
protective equipment

Roping

by Iza Deleanu


Every time I am  close to a death experience I promise God, that I will be a good girl, and never go overboard! Usually, the excitement of the new adventure overcomes the promise.

I booked a trip to a cenote in Mexico. I think the name of the cenote was Dzitnup. There were two ways to get to the "bottom of it": the old fashion way: les stairs; or via a fast rope straight through the middle of that black pit.

My husband, wise man,  chose the stairs. I opted for the rope. As I approached the launching spot, I realized my descent would be a bumpy ride.

They gave me a helmet and a pair of leather gloves. I got scared by the depth: "Mamacita, I changed my mind, no more ropas for me, I want to camino el steriono." My guide said:" No seniorita, no afraid; there are people at the bottom, will catch you." He pushed me over the edge and screamed:" hold tight", of course I didn't!

I went down like a bullet and wondering what the heck I was supposed to do with those oversized gloves. I heard somebody screaming: " put your hands on the rope, or you'll crash. Gloves will slow you. Automatically, I clenched to the rope, just in time for the landing. I found myself dangling two meters above water. Everybody relaxed, and asked me: "now let go of the rope, we'll catch you."

Now, I know the gloves were for smoothing my descent. Roping? No more!



An Unexpected Rescue writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In 250 words (not including the title) write about an unexpected rescue that proved to be life-altering.

Recognized


This is a true story and it happened in a trip that I took in 2016. After that experience I never touched a rope. According to Wikipedia, â??A cenote is a natural pit, or sinkhole, resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes groundwater underneath. Especially associated with the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, cenotes were sometimes used by the ancient Maya for sacrificial offerings.â??
Pays one point and 2 member cents (and maybe more).


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.