General Fiction posted February 16, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Howling winds, desolate streets, the secrets of ghosts

Professor Raven's Haunting Class

by Begin Again








 

The porch floorboards creaked and moaned beneath Grandma’s old rocker.  A lone streetlamp cast a dim, yellow light across the front of the house. A few windows were cracked; remnants of a lace curtain blew from a second-story window. Overgrown weeds and tangled vines filled the front yard. The pathway consisted of broken stones. It looked like no one had lived there for many years, but looks were deceiving. 

 

A bolt of lightning ripped across the dark sky. A tremendous boom quickly followed. The howling wind blew straight through Jasper’s bones. It had rained steadily throughout the night; a harsh cold rain, perfect for haunting. The street was dark and desolate. The faithful old man stood guard on the sagging porch, watching for the students to return from their final missions. By morning’s light, their fate would be determined. 
 

The melodic sound of a woman’s laughter drifted on the wind. Instantly, Jasper recognized the voice as Jasmine’s. Michael and Jasmine, two of the older students, would be strolling hand in hand, oblivious to the rain. They were inseparable; mates for life. 
 

From the other end of the street, a larger group raced towards the house, dodging low hanging branches, rolling garbage cans, and other blowing debris. 

 

Peter, a former track star, reached the porch first. He was excited. “Jasper, it was so cool. You’re not going to believe -”

 

Kiki and Tycari scrambled up the rotted steps; both trying to tell their adventure at the same time.

 

Jasper raised his gnarled hand to quiet them. “Inside all of you!” He pointed a finger toward the lopsided screen door. “Wash your hands. Mama will have breakfast waiting.”

 

“But just let me tell you,” Kiki sputtered.

 

Determined to tell her story, Tycari snapped, “It’s my turn.”

 

A few months older than the girls, Peter tried to take command. “Excuse me, but I was already speaking to Jasper when both of you rudely interrupted.”

 

Shaking his head, Jasper firmly pushed the girls and Peter inside. “There will be plenty of time for that. Now go!”

 

The remainder of the students, including Michael and Jasmine, joined the group and hastened inside. Not only were Mama’s breakfasts out of this world, but they were all eager to relate the night’s events.

 

Gathered at the table, the shouting and laughter reached an ear-shattering crescendo. Mama brought huge platters of pancakes, french toast, and sausage patties followed by crisp hashbrowns and steaming blueberry muffins. A feast to celebrate!   

 

Professor Raven, their instructor, entered the room. Chaos turned to silence. Their body language still screamed uncontrollable excitement, but not a word was spoken.

 

The Professor took his place at the head of the table. He surveyed the group. They’d been an exceptional class and he envisioned great things for everyone. How they completed their assignments would determine their positions. He was anxious to see!

 

“Timmy.” Professor Raven chose his youngest student, He was quite the prodigy and he hoped he wouldn’t be disappointed with him.    

 

Timmy snapped to attention. “Yes, Sir.”

 

“How did it go last night?” When Timmy didn’t offer any response, Professor Raven added,  “Did you have any problems?” 

 

“No, sir.” Timmy squirmed in his seat. He’d been proud of his achievement, but he wondered if the Professor would feel the same.

 

“If I recall, your mission was to help a little boy, about your age. Am I right?”

 

“Yes, sir. His name was Simon and he was so frightened. At first, I wasn’t sure what I should do. All the other times I scared people and pulled tricks on them. I couldn’t do that to him.” Timmy stared at his lap.

 

“Timmy, we’re family at this table. You don’t have to be afraid.” The professor reached over and patted Timmy’s hand. “Just tell us your story.”

 

The youngest child lifted his head, looking at everyone, hoping no one was snickering because he was afraid. He relaxed a little when they smiled and nodded at him.

 

Feeling better, he began, “Simon was very sick. He was frightened and ran away into the woods and couldn’t find his way back home. He fell asleep near a big log. He woke up screaming. He dreamed that monsters and wild animals were attacking him. I turned myself into a dog and curled up beside him. Later, when the time was right, I walked with him into the light and he waved goodbye. The angels took him home.”

 

Professor Raven smiled, “You did a good job, Timmy. Sometimes, it's better to be nice and help someone understand things. Being a loving dog and making Tommy feel protected was very smart. Good job!”

 

Next, Professor Raven chose Amanda. “Your mission was a tough one, too, wasn’t it, Amanda? Want to tell us about it?”

 

“Yes, sir. I went back to my family’s home, where I lived most of my life. It was like I remembered. At first, I wasn’t sure why I was there. I walked from room to room dusting the picture frames and looking at all of them.”

 

The others nodded and commented on how it must have been awesome to go back there. 

Mama knew how difficult the trip must have been. She coaxed Amanda to continue with her story, “Amanda, what else did you do? Did you discover your mission?”

 

“Yes! I saw a young lady staring at the house. When she saw me, she waved, opened the gate, and walked up to the porch. I recognized my niece. A few years back, she’d run away with a used car salesman and no one ever knew where she was at. He left her for another woman so Kelly came home, stopping at my house first. Just like old times, I made tea and we talked and talked. We had a wonderful time together, sharing old memories and good times. Later, we hugged and I sent her home to her mother. I’m sure they’ve told her that I died months ago. She’ll cry but she’ll always have last night.” 

 

Mama smiled, “You gave her one last memory, Amanda. She’ll never forget it.”

 

“Jasmine and I went dancing.” Michael laughed. “We were really having a swinging time.”

 

“Guess the attic floors were squeaking and moaning under our feet, because this guy opens the door, shining his flashlight around. His face was so pale; he could have been a ghost.” Jasmine chuckled, remembering the man. Everyone erupted in laughter. “Michael put his hand over my mouth so I wouldn’t laugh out loud. I think the husband might have died of fright if I had.”

 

Michael nodded. “His wife kept telling him to go into the attic, but he closed the door and left.”

 

“My turn, my turn.” Kiki couldn’t contain herself any longer.

 

“Okay, Kiki, what was your mission?”

 

“Well, Professor Raven, I taught a very mean boy a lesson he won’t forget.”

 

“Really. How’d that work out?”

 

Kiki checked to see if everyone was listening. She gave herself an A+ on her mission and she couldn’t wait to share all of it. “Well, we were on one of those big jets. Since it was storming, it looked like we were flying right through the lightning. This snobby brat kept tormenting the girl across the aisle, telling her the plane was going to crash. She was terrified.”  Pausing, she drank some orange juice and then continued, “The girl was crying. The brat’s mother was drunk and passed out. No one was going to stop him. So I took the liberty of removing the plane’s wing and told him we were going to crash. He stared out the window and went ballistic. He got hysterical. Bawling his eyes out and tugging on his mommy’s arm. The Flight Attendants tried to console him, promising him that the airplane had both its wings. Of course, I put it right back where it came from and headed home.”

 

Mama tried not to smile. “That was a mean thing to do, Kiki.”

 

“He had it coming. The poor little girl was so afraid.”

 

Professor Raven wore a very satisfied look. He’d expected the best from this bunch of students and they certainly delivered.

 

Tycari raised her hand and the Professor nodded. “I decided to scare this teenage girl. She was home alone playing video games instead of finishing her essay for school. Rap music was blaring on the radio. Pop cans, potato chips, and empty cupcake papers were tossed on the coffee table. This girl was really in the zone.”

 

A round of “What’d you do?” arose from the table.

 

“I started scratching my fingernails on the bedroom closet doors. The room was pitch black and her dog was standing in the doorway barking. She kept yelling for him to shut up. Finally, she flipped the light on and came into the bedroom. I did it again. As she moved closer to the closet, I dropped one of her storage boxes and it crashed against the door. She flew out of the bedroom with the dog on her heels. It was hilarious!”

 

Of course, everyone laughed.

 

“Oh yeah, and for good measure, I left a bloody hand on her bathroom mirror.” Satisfaction was written across Tycari’s face.

 

Mama made a scowl. “Tycari, that poor girl will never be able to sleep in her bedroom again.”

 

Tycari’s only response was, “Oh, well!”

 

“One more. Who wants to tell us their story?” Mama looked around the table. “Henry? You’ve been kind of quiet. Do you have something to say?”

 

“Yes, ma’am. I was supposed to scare a bunch of kids who were hanging out in the park after hours, drinking and making out. But I didn’t get there.”

 

The professor wondered if one of his students had let him down. He frowned at the prospect. “Why not, Henry? It seems like your task was a simple one.”

 

“It was Professor, but something else happened.”

 

“What happened that was more important than your mission?” 

 

“I came across this accident. The car was on fire and the driver couldn’t get out. His wife was screaming. The little girl was terrified. They’d tried to pull the man out, but the wife couldn’t. Her hands were burned badly. A woman wrapped a blanket around the wife. She took her and the daughter away from the burning vehicle. I pulled him to safety, laid him on the grass, just as the car exploded. I pray he survived.”

 

The professor stood and surveyed his class. “You did an awesome job, Henry. Oh, yes, he did survive.” He was so proud of everyone. “All of you deserve a big round of applause. You completed your missions and I am very proud.”

 

Mama and Jasper started clapping and soon everyone else joined in.

 

“Congratulations to the Class of 2021. You have completed your master’s class in Ghost Haunting and Helping. I can’t wait to see what Halloween brings for you.”




Ghost Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a Ghost Story. No limit on the word count. No poetry.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.