Romance Fiction posted February 2, 2021 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Learning about him and his ranch life

A chapter in the book One Sunny Night

One Sunny Night-Chapter 4

by Alaskastory


As Curtiss drove his yellow pickup away, Danielle felt a tinge of guilt for not discouraging him more. She wondered why she didn't go into a fight and twist away from that surprise kiss. But no, she had felt a wave of gratitude and chose to be gentle. All these weeks she had liked having him for a friend.

Turning toward the impressive home, she saw Stewart standing on the steps, well within an easy view of her tangle with Curtiss. Danielle swallowed down an urge to laugh, thinking he must consider her tied up with a boyfriend. A smile swept over her.

"You look happy. Anxious to begin our flight?"

"My happy sight is seeing so many flowers in full blossom." Danielle points to the surrounding forest where an open area held colorful wild rose bushes. "They are all around here."

His face lightened up with widened eyes and a slight grin. "Care for a walk around the grounds here?"

"I'd love to if we have time."

"Night doesn't come in June. Plenty of time to fly out later."

"Great, I'll snap a few pictures." Danielle dropped her handbag and jacket on a wood-carved chair on the large veranda. Her camera dangled on a strap around her neck.

They walked a path that circled to the back of the house. She snapped pictures of bright-colored tulips mingling with daisies, marigolds, dahlias and many other full blossoms. Then she turned with a breathless surprise.

"Are those dog houses I see down there?"

"I have thirty-eight malemutes for you to meet. They missed winning a national championship last March by six minutes."

"Each big dog has a house?"

"One of his own."

Barking filled the air as they reached the kennel. Danielle focused lens on energetic dogs with long fluffy tails, dark eyes were groomed with natural masks, and ears pointed up with attention.

"They make a beautiful picture." As she edged close in, a small puppy jumped against her. Her hands vanish from the camera to quickly caress a fuzzy-faced pup.

From the work shed a man dressed in overalls hustled out. Danielle handed him the puppy.

"Sorry ma'am, I'll take care of him."

"Good job, Sammy. The dogs couldn't look better," Stewart said.

"Do these dogs really get hooked to a sled? I thought rides in snow-machines is what everyone does here in winter."

"At fifty below a dog sled doesn't need gas for a rescue trip." He turned his gaze toward a large expanse of mowed grass. "Since you are an animal lover, let's go over to the stable. Got a few horses there."

The lawn held a scattering of chokecherry trees. Danielle raised her arms up to them. "Wonderful how those white blossoms flutter through the air like snow. Do you smell that sweet fragrance?"

Stewart's back straightened as he took a sniff. "You're right. Don't think I've been likely to noticed that."

Four well-groomed horses were in a fenced corral. Danielle brushed her hand along the velvet nose of the pinto mare."Riding was my most favorite when I was a kid."

"Well then, why walk when we can ride?" He turned to a middle-aged Athabaskan man. "Peter, would you saddle the pinto for Miss LeRoy?"

"Sure will, Boss. Mare don't get workouts she needs without Starla. She's not riding no more." The tone in his voice seemed to scold the man-in-charge for neglecting to solve a problem.

"We'll make it up to the mare today." Stewart patiently nodded at Peter then began saddling a large stallion for himself.

Peter helped Danielle mount the mare. "Thank you, Peter," she chimed excitedly. "This is a fine horse." Nodding, his weathered face filled with a grin.

"You're on a horse with discriminating taste, but I think she likes you, Miss LeRoy." Stewart hesitantly turned his view toward a lengthy garden plot filled with vegetables. Pointing to a greenhouse at the far end of the plot, he explained he began growing plants in the spring months.

"People tell me vegetables grow fast and in extreme sizes in Alaska. Is that true?"

"Big cabbage and carrots make us famous. More famous are peonies which are often grown commercially." His words made her see a difference in him. She had considered his main thoughts were only on the oil industry.

"Mr. Bryant, I see farming, dog racing, and horses hold big interest for you"

His brow raised and he gave a mild chuckle. "Let's head down through the meadow."

The horses went into a trot then the pace increased to a gallop. Stewart was ahead and came to a stop down by a riverbank. He reined in the stallion and waited at the water's edge for Danielle to catch up. Openly he stared at her slim figure bouncing in the saddle and her bright hair sweep wildly in the wind.

"Whoa," she called. Pulling to a halt, her free hand stroked through her hair then tugged on a clinging blouse.

Stewart dismounted and caught the reins of her horse.

Danielle slipped down from the saddle. "Hold both horses for a moment. I want a picture."

She scampered up the bank and took focus. The first snap was of the horses, but the second dwelled only on Stewart. Holding on the reins he was idly watching her.

"Okay, now let me get one of you." He let the horses wonder to the water and took the camera from her.

"I don't need one of myself. Besides, I'm a mess." She knew she was squinting in the sun, hair tangled, and there was no trace of lipstick by now.
"Ah, hold it. That's perfect." He snapped two more. ""Could you possibly to email these shots to me right away?"

"I can manage that when I get back home." Impulsively, she raised her head to see a clear blue sky. "Our flight will be perfect today."


Galloping horses got them back to the stable in minutes where Peter took charge of the mare and Stewart began caring for the stallion. Danielle hurried to the home wondering if this time she would meet the lady of the house, like a Mrs. Bryant. As she picked up her purse and jacket, Starla appeared. She greeted Danielle with a frown.

"Hello, Starla. Will you please show me a bathroom I may use?"

"You can use the best one. It's in the bedroom I plan to have one day soon." She whisked down a hall, pulled open a heavy door.

"This room is astonishingly beautiful." Danielle gazed at a king sized bed and soft colored carpet that shone in sunrays from a full glass wall overlooking the estate.

"Ex-wife got it done like this. Bathroom right there." Starla's fingers fluttered to her right then she swished out the door, letting it shut with a bang.

Danielle blinked, feeling left with a stern message. Young, pregnant Starla had plans to become Stewart Bryant's next wife. His life, no doubt, was headed for change. A totally different impression swept in as she went to fly away with him.




Character List:
Danielle LeRoy, main character
Stewart Bryant, new man in her life
Dr. Burns, college professor
Curtiss Hicks, friend at work
Social Friends: Ron,Gabe,Ivar,Rhonda,Dixie
Mr. Wright, company owner
Kevin Harbeson, boyfriend in Kansas
Ginger Kellar, housemate in Kansas
Starla Frost, young pregnant woman
Peter: worker on ranch
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by willie at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.