Supernatural Fiction posted February 2, 2021 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

A Father's Love

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
When Jem arrived back to the Covenant, Mia welcomed him home with one arm wrapped around his waist and the other anchored to their daughter.

“It’s my favorite girls,” Jem said, pressing his lips to Mia’s and then to his daughter’s chubby cheek.

Evie cracked a little smile and settled back against her mother’s chest.

“Come to daddy, sweet pea,” Jem said with his arms outstretched, inviting Evie to take hold.

The second she reached for him, Mia made the exchange, gently depositing her in Jem’s arms. He tightened his hold, securing her more firmly to his chest and planted a kiss on top of her blonde curly head.

Evie stared up at him from underneath her long, dark lashes with the biggest grin on her face.

When he tickled her belly, she squirmed in his arms and giggled.

“So, how’s Martha and her daughter Amy doing?” Mia asked.

Jem averted his eyes from Evie and looked to Mia with a weary expression.

“Let’s sit down,” he said, releasing a sigh. Then he motioned to the dining area and went on to say, “There’s some good news and some not so good news.”

Mia shook her head. “Oh dear.”

They moved toward a sofa, Jem leading the way holding Evie while Mia followed alongside them. As soon as they sat down, Jem told Mia about Martha’s condition and what had happened with Amy.

Mia listened to his every word in stunned silence. When he got to the part where he used his gift to heal Amy, Mia’s distressed features shifted to one of relief.

“Thank god they’re okay,” she finally said. “You did a wonderful thing, honey.”

“If I hadn’t been there—”

“But you were,” Mia said, reaching out to Jem as his voice trailed off.

Jem nodded in silence and lightly squeezed her hand.

“What about those men who broke into Martha’s apartment?” Mia asked. “Did they get away?”

“Nicolas took care of them,” Jem simply said.

“You mean… he arrested them?”

He shook his head adamantly. “They were carted off in body bags.”

“Oh…” Her eyes rounded. “Point taken.”

“So, where are Martha and Amy going to stay?”
           
“We gave Martha the choice to stay with either Helen or Nicolas,” Jem replied. “But since Nicolas has a place in the country and a big backyard, she thought it would be better suited for Amy.”

“I’m glad they’re at a safe place,” Mia said. Then, she looked at Jem with a clear question stamped on her face. "Are you going to try and heal Martha's cancer?"

“When Tessa and the others get back, we’re going to discuss our options.”

“Hopefully Tessa will agree to it,” Mia said in a concerned tone. Granted, she knew Tessa had a big heart when it came to helping others, but the thought of Martha dying and leaving Amy behind bothered her. It bothered her a lot.

“Don’t worry, honey,” he said in a soothing voice. “No one is going to let Martha die. Besides, between Steven and I, surely one of us can heal her.”

Mia nodded, some of worry easing from her mind.

Suddenly, Evie let out a squeal of delight and then stretched her little arms outward as Jace and Tessa walked into the room.

“Come here, you little rascal,” Jace said, rushing over to Evie.

As Jem hoisted her up, he said, “What is it about you, Brother?” He looked up at Jace with his brows furrowed. “Every time you come into a room where there’s kiddos, they all seem to flock to you.”

Jace’s face split into a goofy, idiotic grin. “What can I say?” he said, scooping Evie into his arms, squeezing her gently. “I’m a fun guy to be around.”

Jem rolled his eyes and Mia said, “She adores you, Jace.”

“It’s the tickle monster she loves,” Jace playfully growled, tickling her bare feet.

She instantly broke out into laughter and excitedly kicked her feet. 

Finally, as Jace sat down across from Jem and Mia, Evie quietly nestled against his chest.

“Aw,” Jace murmured, noticing Evie rubbing her eyes. “You sleepy, baby girl?”

She yawned broadly, burrowing more deeply into his lap.

He secured her in his arms and then focused his attention on Tessa as she sat down beside him.

“Looks like someone is ready for a nap,” Tessa said in a quiet voice.

“You want me to take her?” Mia asked.

“Nah,” Jace said in a hushed voice. “She’s perfectly fine.”

Mia nodded and then asked, “So, is everyone okay?” She looked between Tessa and Jace. “I mean, I heard there was an incident at the institute and you two went to help.”

“Fortunately, they didn’t need our help after all,” Tessa said. “Tim and the others had everything under control. And of course, both Detective Sanchez and Perkins are fine. But there were some casualties. One of the institute’s experiments got loose and killed some of the staff.”

“That’s awful,” Mia commented. “What was it?”

“It looked like some kind of mutated hybrid wolf,” Jace chimed in. “Although, when it confronted Roman after he shifted into his Adalwolf, the thing didn’t last long.”

“What about the missing girl?” Jem spoke out. “Did the detectives find her?”

“Yes,” Tessa replied. “They found Judge Weaver’s granddaughter. We don’t know all the details yet, but going by what Detective Sanchez said, it appears she’d been drugged for several days. And they did locate the other patients along with one of the physicians.”

Jem shook his head, completely baffled by what Tessa had told them. “Did the detectives manage to get any information on Joseph Harris?”

“As soon as we pulled up to the Covenant,” Tessa went on to explain, “I got a call from Detective Sanchez. He said the physician they apprehended was willing to give them all the information he had. Not about Joseph Harris, but regarding another physician who knows some information on the other facility that’s been funding the institute’s research. They’re hoping this physician might also have files on this Harris guy.”

“Yah,” Jace chimed in. “If we’re lucky. So far, that guy seems to be turning into a mysterious phantom.”

“At least they managed to shut down the institute,” Mia said. Then, her brows creased. “Where’s Drakon, Tim, and Roman?”

“They’re upstairs getting cleaned up,” Jace said. “Things got a little bloody. If you catch my meaning.”

“Oh,” Mia muttered, crinkling her nose. “You don’t have to go into details. I get it.”

Tessa focused her eyes on Jem. “How are you doing, Jem?” Her voice sounded concerned. “I talked to Helen as soon as I got off the phone with Detective Sanchez. She told me about what happened with Amy.”

“Oh, I’m fine.” His lips formed a half-smile. “Just glad I was there.”

“So am I,” she said, smiling back. “You did a good thing saving that little girl. And if it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be here today.”

“Well, don’t thank me,” Jem said. “Thank the big guy upstairs.”

Tessa nodded in agreement. “I thank God every day for all his blessings.”

“Speaking of blessings,” Mia said, changing the subject a little. “Are you going to agree to let Jem heal Martha’s cancer?”

“Of course,” Tessa quickly replied. “Jace and I are planning to leave here in a few minutes to drive out to Nicolas’s place. We wanted to stop here first to check on the boys. We’re meeting Helen there to discuss the situation. After we talk to Martha, I’m sure she won’t dismiss our offer.”

“If Jem can’t heal Martha’s cancer,” Mia hesitantly said, “will you ask your brother for help?”

“I’m sure Steven will be more than willing to help out in any way he can.”

“Thank you, Tessa,” Mia said. “The thought of that little girl being left without a mother breaks my heart. I know firsthand how that feels.”

“I promise to do everything I can to keep that from happening,” Tessa solemnly said as she rose to her feet. “I guess we should head that way.” She turned to Jace. “You ready to go?”

Jace nodded and as he looked down at Evie, his eyes instantly softened. She was sound asleep, cuddled into his lap with one hand on his chest and her thumb tucked between her lips.

“Aw, man…” Jace quietly moaned, lifting his gaze to meet the others. “I hate to move her. She looks so peaceful.”

“Then let her be,” Jem suggested. “I can go with Tessa.”

Jace shrugged. “You sure?”

“Yah,” Jem replied. “Besides, I’d like to check on Amy and talk to Martha. I mean…” He looked up at Tessa. “Only if it’s okay with you.”

“It’s fine with me.”

Jem leaned forward and then lightly bumped knuckles with Jace. “Thanks, Brother,” he said in a low voice. “Take care of my girls.”

“No problem,” Jace said. “You take care of my girl.”

They were words echoed from a year ago when Jem had used his gift to save Tessa after she’d been kidnapped and subjected to lab experiments that nearly took her life. 

“Will do,” Jem said. Then he leaned over and kissed Mia. “I’ll be back soon, honey.”

Before Jem left with Tessa, he took one more glance into the room, taking pride in the sight of his twin brother holding his little girl. The image brought a smile to his face.  
 

To be continued. . . 




A reference for terms and cast of characters used in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Mia Blackwood Chamberlain - She is a half-breed and Jem's bonded mate. Abandoned at birth and raised in human foster care, she later finds her identical twin sister, Eve.

Eva Alexandria (Evie) - She is Jem and Mia's daughter.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Martha Dunlap - Her and her daughter were kidnapped by a serial rapist. Before they were harmed, Jena's creature saved them and killed their kidnapper.

Amy Dunlap - She is Martha's five-year-old daughter.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.