Romance Fiction posted January 23, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trading hearts

Trading Post

by Dick Waters


“When my friend John Hubbell passed, I thought it was time for me to leave. It was a hard decision, because we were friends for many years. I was treated like family.”

Sitting here today, looking at the Trading Post, brings back many memories. Some, I want to keep hidden away, but most were such that I feel my sun-baked face cracking. We built buildings together, one became my home. Any visiting Navajo, coming from miles away, would sleep in my home. Those friendship days were happy seasons.

Recalling a hidden memory, when I left, I left my heart behind. She was one of John’s cherished daughters. He knew how much I adored her, and even mentioned that I was loved as much as one of his sons. I knew I had permission to court her, but I couldn’t disrespect our friendship.

The day I left…I witnessed the love she had for me as well. I wanted to say something special to her, but the timing wasn’t right. I took the cherished necklace my father had given me, and put it around her neck. I still remember the tears on her cheeks that day.

When I went in the store earlier, I noticed that necklace hung on the picture of her father and me. My hope is that she had a happy life and a wonderful family of her own.

“So, my son, this is where your father ‘Many Horses,’ got the idea for our own trading post.”
 
 




This is an entry in a flash fiction weekly competition on www.indiesunlimited.com, which requires the entries to be 250 words, or less. Please give the site a visit, it is free and full of interesting articles on writing and publishing.
Photo courtesy of K.S. Brooks (www.indiesunlimited.com)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dick Waters All rights reserved.
Dick Waters has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.