Supernatural Fiction posted January 19, 2021 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Saving Amy/Part Three

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new, so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Jena watched from the bedroom doorway as Amy sat on the floor packing the clothes her mother had made for her doll. Her brow was creased in concentration, and she nibbled at her bottom lip as she carefully placed the tiny scraps of material one by one inside a plastic bag.

Then, out of nowhere, a strange feeling came over Jena. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end and goosebumps trailed down her arms. It was like a warning of some kind. Seconds later, an odor invaded her nostrils. As she drew it in deeper, it became all too familiar. It was an overwhelming stench of evil.

And when she heard voices, they seemed like whispers from far away. As she listened more carefully, they grew louder, seemingly closer, but she was unable to recognize them. She looked back at the others inside the apartment and listened. But all she could hear were chatter and meaningless words as Helen and the guys helped Martha gather her things.

Suddenly, her fingernails began to tingle. When she brought her hand up to her face, it was covered in tiny, black hairs and her nails were longer. For one second, she felt an uncontrollable desire to shift. No, she thought. It cannot be. She covered her mouth with her hairy hand. Why is this happening now?   

Jena was so overcome with panic she could barely draw in a breath. She simply stood froze in place, unable to move, fearing the worst. Was someone in danger?

Without warning, she felt the weight of a hand on her shoulder. She immediately flinched and spun around.

“I’m sorry…” Nicolas said as he looked into Jena’s rounded eyes, noticing the sheer-panic in them. “Is something wrong, Jena?”

“I-I think…” she choked out, “…something bad is going to happen.” Her voice was a little guttural, roughened. “I can sense—”

“I’m ready,” Amy announced, rousing Jena and Nicolas’s attention.

When they turned around, Amy was standing before them with a satisfied smile on her face. She had a little bag in one hand and a flimsy doll in the other.

“I’ve got all Maisie’s clothes packed,” Amy continued to say, looking between Jena and Nicolas. “I’m ready to go to your house, Mr. Policeman.”

Nicolas quickly knelt in front of Amy and said, “Very good.” He held out his hand. “Let me take those so you go wrangle up your kitty cat. You wouldn’t want to forget her.”

“Okay,” Amy said, handing over the plastic bag and the doll to Nicolas.

As Amy went to gather up her cat, Nicolas silently waved at Jem and Alexander, motioning them over. By the grim expression on his face, they knew something was wrong.

Jena frowned and looked to the apartment door. The chain to the lock was unattached and the deadbolt was in the unlocked position. Then, a pungent, nauseating smell hit her like a ton of bricks. The powerful odor of evil overrode her senses until it was almost suffocating.

“Oh… God, no,” she said silently.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion. The door instantly flew open. At that very moment Amy came running across the room, her cat tucked securely in her arms, her long pigtails flowing behind her. “I found Alley Cat!” 

“No!” Jena screamed.    

The sequence played out in a series of only a few seconds that seemed to last an eternity: Nicolas looking at Jena as she darted forward with her arms outstretched, shouting a warning. Amy running in their direction, her face lit up with joy. Two men charging through the front door with guns drawn.

The blast of a gun echoed like the crack of lightning. The sound sent the cat fleeing from Amy’s arms with a high-pitched screech. Jena lunged for Amy, trying to shield her tiny body with hers, but sadly, she didn’t make it in time. Amy was hit in the back. The bullet came out the other side, bursting through her chest. Jena caught her as she fell, her own heart screaming in agony.

As Jena dropped to her knees with Amy’s limp body cradled in her arms, Nicolas suddenly vanished in thin air.

It was like magic. When Nicolas reappeared, he stood behind the shooters. A bone-cracking sound came next. The guy wearing a black hoodie dropped to the floor with his neck twisted in an unnatural angle.

The other guy with a Yankee’s ballcap barely registered Nicolas’s movement. In the speed of a blur, he shoved his fist straight through the guy’s backside. For a moment, he went stiff, looking down at the hand protruding from his chest. With his mouth agape, he fell forward, dropping to the floor like a stone.

As everyone gathered around Jena, time seemed to shift back into full speed. Although, everything to Jena still moved at the pace of a snail: Martha kneeling in front of her, reaching for Amy, her eyes drenched in tears. Her mouth was moving, but Jena couldn’t hear what she was saying. Helen looking at her, trying to tell her something, but whatever it was, it didn’t register in Jena’s brain. It was as if the volume in her ears had been turned all the way down. She felt powerless, completely incoherent, holding little Amy in her arms. Then suddenly, Helen’s voice rang loud and clear. It was like someone had cranked up the volume, snapping her back to focus.

“Jena…” Helen put her hand on the side of Jena’s face. “Did you hear what I said?”

She flinched. “What?”

Helen raised her voice. “Put Amy down so I can look at her injury.”

Instantly, Jena obeyed Helen’s orders and gently lowered Amy onto the floor.

“No…” Martha cried out, caressing Amy’s hair. “Please God… not my baby!”

The buttons on Amy’s pajama top scattered across the floor as Helen ripped it open down the middle. There was so much blood. Helen tried to stop it, but it was too late. The bullet severed a main artery in Amy’s heart.

Helen shook her head. “I can’t save her,” she said in broken voice, lifting her eyes to meet Jem’s. “But you can.”

His eyes grew weary and before he could utter a single word, Helen went on to say, “You can do this, Jem. You’ve done this before, and you can do it again.”

“W-What?” Martha said, sobbing. “Y-You can save my little girl?”

Jem averted his eyes from Helen and looked to Martha. He could see the sorrow and desperation etched into every groove of her face. His eyes softened with compassion. Then he focused back on Helen.

“But… she’s human,” he said, confusion stamped all over his face. “What if—” 

“It doesn’t matter,” Helen interjected. “You have to try. It’s the only way.”

“Do it, Jem,” Jena spoke out, releasing a strangled breath. “Please…”

Alexander placed his hand on Jem’s shoulder. “Have faith, son. I know you can save her.”

“He’s right, Jem,” Nicolas chimed in as he knelt next to Martha. “Use the gift God gave you.”

Martha reached out to Jem and grasped his hand. “I don’t know what you are or how you can do this,” she said with tears streaming down her cheeks. “But I’m begging you… please… please help my daughter. She’s too young to go.”

Jem lightly squeezed her hand and nodded. “I promise, I’ll do everything I can to save her.”

Martha released his hand and covered her mouth. “Oh, thank God,” she said, weeping into the palm of her hand.

Jem gently lifted Amy off the floor, cradled her close, and rose to his feet. She looked so small, so fragile in his arms. He took a shuddering breath as he peered into her freckled face. Her eyes were closed, and her skin was already pale.

He closed his eyes and blocked out everything around him: the loud music echoing from the apartment upstairs, the sound of his own heartbeat ringing in his ears, and even Amy’s cat gathered by his feet.

As death closed in, Jem knew he had not a moment to spare. With all the strength, and perseverance he could muster, he concentrated on a pathway of healing.

And then, to everyone’s surprise, Jem’s body began to glow. The brilliance of the light surrounding him swept over Amy, completely enveloping her like a blanket.

“Listen to my voice, Amy,” he softly said. “Let it guide you back to the light.”

In the silence, he waited, praying she would hear him.

Suddenly, her long eyelashes started to flutter.

“That’s it, Amy,” he spoke a little louder, holding her tighter. “You can do it. Open your eyes, sweetheart.”

Everyone quickly gathered and hovered in ready silence, waiting for Amy to open her eyes.

When her lids slowly opened, the light sheathing her body dissipated. She looked up at Jem and smiled. Although her vision blurred a little, she could still make out the image looking down at her. She could see he had tears in his eyes and his body shimmered with sparkles of light.

Martha stood there, staring at her daughter, shock and disbelief evident in her gaze.

“Welcome back, sweetheart,” Jem softly said. 
 
“Are you…” Amy muttered, her eyes big on her small face, “…an Angel?”

“No, Amy,” Jem said with a smile. “I’m not an Angel. Besides, Angels have wings.”

Her eyes curiously roamed over his shoulders until she finally realized there were no wings attached to his backside. Then, she reached out and placed her hand on the side of his face. “Did you know you’re covered in pixie dust?”

“Pixie dust?” He raised an inquisitive brow. “I wonder how that happened?”

“It was Tinker Bell, of course,” she simply said.

“Tinker Bell?” 

Amy’s brows pinched together. “Don’t you know who Tinker Bell is?”

“Um…” Jem thought for a moment. “Isn’t that Peter Pan’s friend?”

When she bobbed her head up and down, his smile broadened.

A few seconds later, Amy lifted her head and called out, “Mama?”

“Shhh, it’s okay, baby,” Martha said in a tear-laced voice, looking over Amy, amazed by the miracle staring back at her. There were no words to explain what she’d just witnessed. It was as though she’d imagined everything. A few minutes ago, her daughter was fighting for her life, and now, somehow, she’d been magically healed.

“Don’t cry, Mama,” Amy said, bringing Martha back to focus.

Her daughter’s sweet, concerned voice nearly broke her heart. She reached out and gently tucked a loose strand of Amy’s hair behind her ear. “These are happy tears, honey.”

“I love you, Mama.”

Martha reached tentatively for Amy, taking her from Jem. “Oh, darling,” she choked out. “I love you too.”

Amy’s arms went around her mother’s neck, hugging her tightly. When she pulled back, she said, “Where’s Alley Cat?” 

“She’s right here,” Jena spoke out as she bent down to pick up the cat. A few moments later, she held up the furry feline for Amy to see. “She’s safe and sound.”

Amy’s eyes brightened as though nothing bad had happened. “There you are,” she said, giggling. “You silly cat.”

With Amy secure in her slender arms, Martha looked up at Jem and silently mouthed, “Thank you.”

He dipped his head and whispered, “You’re welcome.”

To be continued. . .

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Martha Dunlap - Her and her daughter were kidnapped by a serial rapist. Before they were harmed, Jena's creature saved them and killed their kidnapper.

Amy Dunlap - She is Martha's five-year-old daughter.

Alexander Crest - He is a Breedline species, Jace and Jem's biological father. He is bonded to Dr. Helen Carrington.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.