Humor Flash Fiction posted January 17, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Super-saturated, cling-free

Garish Green in a FLASH

by Elizabeth Emerald

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.
Last spring, my front lawn, such as it isn't, suffered further devastion on account of the piss from a pit bull bitch.

I mean that in the literal sense: Mia is a good-tempered, albeit rambunctious, creature. I use the term only because it's on account of her bitchiness that my "lawn" got ruined beyond the realm of euphemism; female dogs have a hormone in their urine that's toxic to grass (crabgrass, alas, excluded). 

The upshot is that my yellowed yard was peppered with crop circles.

I searched the hardware store for spray paint. Golf-course green was out of the running, as was yellow-green (a shade which, given my moribund grass, tends optimistically toward its post-hyphen component).

A friend informed me of spray paints intended for lawn touch-up. After checking reviews online, I ordered a two-pack of a product (the brand name of which, mercifully, I cannot recall). 

Strike one: the gross unsuitability of its preternatural shade, a la Emerald City in electrified Technicolor.

Strike two: the pump mechanism made application tedious, as well as torturous to the hands, both of which are required to expel the recalcitrant paint.

Strike three: the liquid boomerang-ed off the dead grass and pooled onto the six surrounding blades.

 A neighbor suggested that I patch in sod. That would have looked worse: healthy green against the sickly yellow surround is more of a contrast than is tan against yellow.

Thus, I hung tight till November; the lush carpet of withered leaves makes for flawless camouflage.









 



Recognized


Green Shell by Uncle Lees on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!

FLASHing solo (sans contest) at 250 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.