General Fiction posted January 14, 2021 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bull asks some good questions.

A chapter in the book Zoo Murder:

Zoo Murder: Who Can Say?

by Bill Schott


Characters:
Bull Schlitz = police inspector
Dan D'weir = homicide detective
Mellow Bailey = park director
Nat Taurus = habitat manager
Honor Bonner = veterinarian
Mame Dennis = media representative
Jerry Mathers = AZA Midwest Area coordinator

-----------------------------

Previously, Bull had Mellow Bailey in his office and asked her why she had killed Cyril Loyne. D'weir questioned Nat Taurus in the interrogation room. Both suspects had definite reactions.
------------------------------


Mellow Bailey resumed sitting across from Bull after being told that Nat Taurus implicated her in the murder.

"He's lying, of course," she said, now assuming a posture of righteous indignation.

"Convince me."


"He is the only one who could control that tiger."

"Yeah -- about that; the tiger is not involved at all."

The woman sat up in her chair. A silent gasp formed on her face, while her eyes moved about in her sockets, as if examining situations and scenarios in her memory.

"Sheba was covered with blood," she said, finally.

"Our expert says it's pig or cow blood; it's a red herring." Bull's eyes seemed to smile at his own cleverness.

"But the man was obviously mauled by the  -- well, something."

Bull glanced at the file folder again. 

"He was APPARENTLY mauled. The coroner is positive Loyne was dead before he was ripped up."

"I am innocent," she said.

"Why did you lie about Taurus being able to talk?"

"He may utter sounds, some making sense, but he doesn't understand what he's saying. That's why I know he never accused me of this killing."

"Do you think HE is involved in this?"

"I certainly don't know, but that tramp Honor Bonner and the traveling sleazeball Jerry Mathers are guilty of everything up to that. I wouldn't doubt that either or both are responsible."

Meanwhile, in the interrogation room...

Nat Taurus had leaped from his chair and presented, with his hulking six-foot-eight-inch, four-hundred pound frame, an aggressive response to being accused of murder.

"I con tock!" he shouted.

D'weir made eye contact with the officer behind the man-mountain. Then looked to Taurus.

"Okay, Big Guy, here's what's happening next. A. You will sit back down, after Officer Quick Draw returns you the chair. B. Failing that, he will shoot you with a taser, then place shackles on you, as handcuffs simply are not big enough. C. If the tasering isn't effective, I'll just shoot you until we are compliant with step B. What'll it be?"

Sighing heavily, Taurus took the chair back to the table and sat down. Then, solemnly, with his eyes on the detective's gun, he said, "A."

















 




Image from Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.