Supernatural Fiction posted January 12, 2021 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Test Subjects/Part Two

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It's new, so if you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
When Tim ended the phone call with Tessa—urging her to send backup—he was out of his clothes within seconds. Thick, dark hair sprouted all over him, covering him from head to toe. His face lost all recognition as it began to twist and elongate. His mouth protruded until it took the shape of a dog’s muzzle with long curving fangs.

While he continued to transform into his Breedline wolf, Drakon too, felt his own impending changes coming on fast. His gut spasmed and his skin sizzled.

With no time to spare, he toed out of his boots, stripped off his shirt, and hurriedly removed his pants. Instantaneously, wiry hair poured out of his scalp and trailed down his shoulders. In the speed of lightning, it spread over his entire body, blanketing his skin with a shiny coat of black fur.

Drakon was down on all fours before he even willed it, growling and snarling like a rabid dog. Although he’d been born a Breedline, an incident from his past had changed him. Instead of converting into a Breedline wolf, he was something entirely other. Most thought it to be a curse, but according to Drakon, he believed otherwise. His rogue wolf was massive, twice the size of an average Breedline. And the immense strength he bestowed had its benefits, especially in situations like the one they were about to face.  

As his body began to expand, he could feel his skin reshaping and his bones reforming. It was an exquisite sensation, like being reborn. The moment his transformation was achieved, he felt his throat open with a howl. Instead of giving in to his primal instincts, he remained silent, waiting for his comrades to complete their transitions.

Roman was the last to shift. Grabbing the hem of his shirt, he quickly pulled it over his head and tossed it aside. He took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled, trying to focus on the task ahead. Realizing time was of the essence, he gritted his teeth and brought forth his Adalwolf. His transformation came on strong and fast-moving. Roman’s pants ripped at the seams as his frame expanded and grew twice the size. His features mutated beyond what he’d looked just moments before. He still resembled somewhat of a man but crossed with a wolfish beast. His skin took on a luminous, grayish sheen and his eyes sparkled like diamonds. He stood on two feet, every bulging muscle in his body taut with a rage he’d never felt before.

The sound of an animal’s thunderous roar echoing in the near distance quickly sent their adrenaline racing. They knew a hybrid wolf when they heard one. And going by the pitch of the thing, it was obviously big. As it grew louder, they realized it was moving in their direction fast.

Readying themselves for battle, Tim bared his sharp teeth, and Drakon pawed at the ground while Roman stood firm, clawed hands twitching at his sides.

Then, out of nowhere, a giant furry creature leaped from out of the shadows. It came at them so fast they had no time to think. Acting on pure instinct, Roman lunged forward with slashing claws and sliced at the creature’s throat. Blood sprayed like a crimson geyser, coating Roman and the white-washed walls behind him.

The wolfish hybrid collapsed onto the floor, convulsing with spasms as its life drained in a pool of red. When it finally went limp, Detective Manuel Sanchez burst into the room. He was too focused on the giant creature lying on the floor, covered in its own blood to register Tim, Drakon, and Roman’s presence.  

The sound of several footsteps drawing near made the detective look up. He sagged in relief, realizing it was Jace and Tessa. As they came up to the dead creature, Jace’s jaw nearly dropped. “Dayum…” he said in stunned disbelief. “It looks like you didn’t need my help after all.”

“Is everyone okay?” Tessa said, looking at Detective Sanchez and then to Roman, Drakon, and Tim, who were all three still in their transitional state.

“We’re fine,” Roman said in a guttural voice. Then, he pointed to the lifeless creature as it began to transform. It was if the impending changes took on a will of its own. In a matter of seconds, its furry hide started to shrink and disappear. It wasn’t long before human features took the hairy beast’s place.

Detective Sanchez knelt next to the body of a young man. He was now completely naked, his throat cut so deep, it nearly severed his head.

“Damn shame,” the detective said, releasing a sigh. “He doesn’t even look old enough to be of age.” And then he looked up at Tessa with his brows furrowed. “Why isn’t he healing?”

“I don’t know, Detective,” Tessa replied. “It’s obvious he’s not a Breedline, so whatever he’s been mutated with, must not have healing abilities.”

“How in the hell did all this happen?” Jace asked.

“The minute Detective Perkins and I entered the institute,” Detective Sanchez started to explain, “we heard screams coming from inside. Immediately, we rushed in and followed where it was coming from. As soon as we made it to the lower level, we found some of the staff. They’d been torn to pieces. Before we could manage to look to see if there were any survivors,” he paused and glanced at the dead man’s body, “it came after us. Fortunately, we were able to get away. We barricaded ourselves in what looked to be some sort of lab. That’s when we called for backup. I thought we were goners. It wouldn’t have been long before that thing broke down the door. For some damn reason it stopped.” He looked to Drakon and Tim’s wolfish creatures, and then up at Roman’s humongous stature. “I guess it sensed you guys when you shifted into your…” He shrugged, thinking of the right words to describe their supernatural forms. “Well… you know what I’m trying to say.”

“I’m just glad everyone is okay,” Tessa said. “We did find a few staff members as we came in. They were huddled against the wall terrified. I told them we were here to help and to stay put.”

“We saw them too,” Roman said. “But when we heard screams and gunfire, we didn’t take the time to ask questions.”

Detective Sanchez looked to Drakon’s rogue wolf and said, “If it hadn’t been for Drakon digging up all that stuff on the institute, that thing would have escaped and who knows how many other casualties we would have had.”

In response, Drakon raised his wolfish head and snorted.  
     
“Wait a minute,” Jace interrupted, his eyes focused on the detective. “Where’s your partner?”

“We split up,” he responded. “Frank’s looking for Judge Weaver’s granddaughter.”

“Who’s—”

Detective Sanchez held up his hand, silencing Jace as Frank’s voice suddenly came over the com he had in his ear. He covered his earpiece so he could hear more clearly and said, “Frank… can you repeat that?”

After a few moments, the detective’s eyes rounded. “Stay put, partner. I’m headed your way.”

“What’s going on?” Roman spoke out in a gravel voice. “Did Frank find the missing girl?”

Detective Sanchez nodded. “Yah, and it doesn’t sound good. Frank said she’s incoherent like she’s been drugged. He’s also apprehended one of the institute’s physicians. We’re going to have to call this one in. Thanks to you guys, I think we’ve got this covered from here on.”

“Are you sure you don’t need any help?” Tessa said. “Maybe one of us should stick around until your backup arrives. Jace and I could stay while Roman, Drakon, and Tim make their way back to the Covenant.”

“Thanks Tessa,” the detective said. “I appreciate your offer, but I think it’s best if you’re not involved. When my Captain arrives, he’ll want to know why you guys are here.”

Tessa nodded in agreement. “Let us know if you run into any trouble.”

At the sound of approaching sirens, Roman shifted back to his human form and retrieved Drakon and Tim’s clothes. After a quick transformation, they got dressed and exited the institute with Tessa and Jace following close behind.

As soon as Detective Sanchez made it down to the institute’s lower level in search of his partner, his heart nearly plummeted when he pushed his way through a door. It led into what was supposedly a laboratory, but it looked more like a torture chamber. Lying next to a stainless-steel table where various types of surgical instruments with sharp pointed ends.

In the far corner of the room, sitting in a chair, was a young woman with long, brown hair and skin pale as death. Her vacant eyes were fixated on the wall, staring pointedly at nothing. By the bruised coloring under her lids and her boney cheeks, she appeared half-starved. But still, he recognized her. It was Judge Weaver’s granddaughter.

“According to what I got out of Dr. SeGovia,” Detective Frank Perkins said quietly from where he stood a few feet from the girl. “Miss Hill has been drugged for days. She has no idea I’m even here. And she’s not the only one like this. I found the rest of the patients. They’re all locked up down here. This whole lower level is like a dungeon from hell. I’ve got an ambulance on the way.”

“Son of a—” Detective Manuel Sanchez grumbled under his breath. “Where’s the rest of the staff?”

“Most of them were killed in the attack,” Frank said. “Somehow, that thing that went after us got loose and wreaked havoc on its captors. Please tell me our backup took care of it.”

Manuel nodded. “Yah, it’s taken care of alright. Roman took it out.”

Frank heaved a deep breath. “Well, I guess we didn’t need Jace’s beast after all. Is everyone in one piece?”

“They’re fine. I told them to take off before the cavalry arrives. So, where’s this physician you were talking about?”

“I’ve got him handcuffed to a chair in the other room,” Frank said. “He says he’s ready to make a deal.”

“What deal?”

“He said he’d give up the name of the pharmaceutical who’s paying them to do the research if we put in a good word for him. He’s aware he’ll lose his license over this, but he’s hoping for a reduced sentence if he talks.”

“He’s not getting off that easily, besides we already know it’s A&E pharmaceuticals.”

“Yah,” Frank smirked. “But Dr. SeGovia doesn’t know that.”

“What about the other private facility that’s been paying them? You know… the one Drakon mentioned that was outside Berkeley?”

“I’ve already questioned him about that,” Frank said. “He claims he doesn’t know. But another physician here does. I believe his name is Dr. Leonard Manos. Apparently today is his day off.”   
 
“Is that so?” Manuel cocked a brow. “Well then, I think it’s time we go visit Dr. Manos and bring him in for questioning.”

“What about Dr. SeGovia?”

“Wait till Captain gets here,” Manuel said. “We’ll let him deal with the good ol’ doc.” 
       
To be continued. . .
 

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in the chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline wolf who has killed with the intent of evil. They can never shift back into their human form.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele-a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research-he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization. He resides in the California Breedline Covenant along with team members, Lawrence, Bull, Justice, and Lena.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.