General Fiction posted January 13, 2021 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bull and Weirdo interrogate two people

A chapter in the book Zoo Murder:

Zoo Murder: Mellow and Nat

by Bill Schott


Characters:
Bull Schlitz = police inspector
Dan D'weir = homicide detective
Mellow Bailey = park director
Nat Taurus = habitat manager
Honor Bonner = veterinarian
Mame Dennis = media representative
Jerry Mathers = AZA Midwest Area coordinator
-------------------------------------------
Inspector Bull Schlitz and Detective Dan D'weir begin formal questioning of two zoo personnel.

--------------------------------------------


Bull walked through the squadroom past the half-dozen detectives who were handling various cases of assaults and missing persons. They were either shouting at suspects or yelling into phones. Unaffected, he grabbed the folder that stood in his wallside message bin, as he passed through the open door and entered his office. 

At his desk sat Mellow Bailey; her eyes, like lasers, burned through his folder, his face, and, surely, his wardrobe. 


"What's your name?" he asked, never looking at her during his fluid descent into his chair, while opening the folder and reading.

"You already know my name, Detective Schultz."

"For the record. And -- it's Schlitz. Inspector Schlitz."

"Mellow D. Bailey."

"What's your relationship to the victim?"

"I have no idea who the victim is."

Lifting his head up from the folder, Bull looked the woman in her eyes.

"His name was Cyril Loyne; ring any bells?"

"Am I under arrest?" asked the now squirming Mellow Bailey.

Ignoring her query, Bull continued.

"How did you find out about the murder?"

"I was informed by the big cat habitat manager," she replied. "Do I need a lawyer?"

"Depends. Why'd you kill him?"

Mellow Bailey, visibly shaken, stood and started for the door. Bull remained seated, still facing the empty chair. 

"Taurus gave you up."

The woman walked slowly back to the seat in which she had just been sitting. 

Meanwhile, in the interrogation room. Detective D'weir sat across from Nat Taurus. 

"What's your name?" asked the detective.

"I con tock."

"You mean you can't speak well?

"No, I con tock."

D'weir smiled and looked to the uniformed officer in the corner of the room behind Taurus. The officer crossed his eyes, dropped his jaw, and bobbled his head. 

Returning to the interrogation, the detective asked another question.

"If you could talk, what would you say is your relationship to the victim?"

"I ain't urlated to Cyril."

"Cyril Loyne?  Who is this guy?"

"l con tock."

"Why did you kill him?"

After the question, the huge man became silent and bowed his head. D'weir leaned over the table and said, "Mellow Bailey gave you up." 

Like a jack-in-the-box popping from the seat, the giant shot upward. His chair flew backward and hit the officer. Both the officer and detective drew their pistols. 

























 




Image from Google.com. shutterstock.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.