Supernatural Fiction posted January 5, 2021 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Saving Amy/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. It is new, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
While Jena and the guys kept little Amy occupied, Dr. Helen Carrington took Martha in the back bedroom to examine her injuries.

As Martha sat down on the bed, Helen reached for the stethoscope around her neck, noticing how fragile and thin she looked.

She peered at Martha over her glasses and said, “Martha, when was the last time you had a meal?”

“I tried to eat yesterday,” Martha said as tears immediately swirled. She bit her lip to keep the moan of despair from escaping. “But… I can’t keep anything down.”

Helen’s face twisted in sympathy. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Martha lowered her head and nodded.

“You can trust me, Martha.” Helen placed her hand on her shoulder. “Please, let me help you.”

Martha slowly lifted her chin. “I have… cancer,” she said around the catch in her throat. “It started in my colon and has spread to my liver and then to my kidneys.”

Helen’s heart nearly seized. “I’m so sorry, Martha.” She looked at her with empathy and compassion. “Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

As Martha dipped her head, Helen said, “How long have you known?”

“I found out four months ago.”

“What did the doctors say about treatment?”

“It’s too far advanced,” Martha choked out. “Stage four. And I don’t have medical insurance, so…”   

For a split second, a memory flooded Helen’s mind like random pictures from her childhood past. They were images of her older sister and how she died at such a young age. Although Helen was only seven years old at the time, everything about Hanna’s death was still so clear:  Hospital beds, needles, and all the chemo treatments. In an awful mental snapshot, she saw her sister’s bald head, sickly pale skin, and a tiny, frail body who didn’t look like the flourishing person she was before. Near the end, Hanna was completely unrecognizable. 

“Martha,” Helen said soothingly, tossing the dreadful memory aside. “Does Amy know?”

“No,” she said with sorrow burning brightly in her eyes. “She’s too young to understand.”

Helen sighed then squatted beside Martha. “Do you have a plan for Amy? I mean, if—”

“If I die,” Martha said as Helen’s voice trailed off.

When Helen reluctantly nodded, Martha went on to say, “Amy’s father died in a car accident when she was just a baby and his family isn’t what you’d call responsible caretakers. I never knew my biological parents. I was given up for adoption and went from one foster family to another. My childhood wasn’t exactly good. So basically, it’s just the two of us and I’m not sure how much time I have left.”

Deciding to step in, Helen said, “If I offered, would you let me help you and Amy?”

“I don’t understand,” Martha said, furrowing her brows. “Why would you do that? You don’t even know us.”

“Because Martha, I know what’s it’s like to go through something tragic. And you and your daughter are going to need help.”

“I-I don’t have anything to give you in return.”

“I’m not asking for anything, except for your trust.”

Emotion knotted Martha’s throat and tears burned her eyelids. Unable to speak, she simply reached out to Helen and took her hand in hers.

“Stay here and dry your tears,” Helen said softly. “I’ll be right back, Martha.”

As Helen walked out of the room, Martha’s illness plagued her mind. How long did she have and who would care for little Amy when the time came? That was the million-dollar question. Then, her thoughts suddenly went to Steven and the rare gift he possessed. She wondered if he could heal Martha's illness. If not, maybe Jem could use his powers of healing. 

She felt some of the tension ease at the sound of Amy’s laughter. It instantly brought her mind around. The minute she stepped into the living room where the others gathered, Alexander came forward.

“How is she?” he asked, noticing the grim expression on Helen’s face.

Reluctantly, Helen kept her voice low and told him everything about Martha’s condition.

Alexander stared at her for a moment and then shook his head. “My god…” he gasped. “What do you suggest?”

“I want to help them,” Helen said. “They shouldn’t stay here one more day. Martha needs medical attention as soon as possible. I’m going to have them stay at my place so I can keep her in my care. I have the extra room and besides, they have nowhere else to go and no family they can turn to. It will give us the opportunity to prepare Amy for her mother’s illness and find her a guardian when the time comes.”

“Did Martha agree to let us help her?”

Helen nodded. “She knows time is wearing thin, leaving her no alternative.”

"What about Steven?" Alexander asked. "Do you think he could heal Martha?"

"The thought came to mind," Helen said. "And I also considered Jem. I'll discuss the possibilities with the others as soon as we get back to the Covenant. This might be our last option. Although there are risks involved, I'm afraid if we don't try, Martha won't survive much longer."

Alexander smiled at Helen and reached for her hand. “Have I told you lately how much I love you?”

“Every day,” she said, smiling back. “But I never tire of hearing it.”

He brought her hand up to his lips and lightly kissed it. “I love you, sweetheart.”

“I love you, too.”

“Speaking of Martha and Amy,” Alexander said. “Nicolas has offered his home to them. And Amy seems quite thrilled with his invitation.”

“That’s very kind of Nicolas,” Helen commented. “I’ll bring it up with Martha, but I don’t see any reason why she’d turn either offer down. At this point, what options does she have?”
  
 A few minutes later, after Martha dried her tears, she pushed herself to her feet. Nausea welled in her stomach, feeling as though she was going to be sick, but she swallowed it down and forced herself forward.

As she padded down the small hallway, she stopped and peeked into the room where Amy and the others were. Everyone was focused on her daughter, smiling and listening as she kept up a constant stream of chatter over her excitement of getting to sleepover at the policemen’s house and play in his backyard with her cat. She mentioned Jena more than once, reminding her how much Alley Cat loves wolves. It brought a smile to her face.

And then, she thought how wonderful it must be to be part of such a loving family. Everyone in Jena’s circle seemed tight knit. Was it fate that brought them together or just a coincidence? Although she had never been a big believer of fate, maybe this was God’s way of taking care of her daughter. Afterall, who’d believe there were such things as werewolves? Never in her wildest dreams would she imagine one would save her and her daughter’s life.  All the fiction horror movies portrayed them as savage killers, not saviors. It was then she realized Jena was not a coincidence. It was God who had sent her.  

Suddenly, tears burned the edges of her eyes and she quickly blinked them away, not wanting to worry her daughter. Not when she had something to look forward to. In fact, everything was moving in the right direction. Perhaps this was the answer to her prayers. Finally, she’d found a loving family for Amy.
   
Martha glanced up to see Helen motioning her to come in. After wiping her eyes, she went into the living room to join the others.

“Ah, look Amy,” Alexander said, looking between Martha and Amy. “Your Mama is back. Why don’t you tell her the good news?”

 Amy’s eyes lit up when she saw her mother.

“Mama! Mama!” she said with enthusiasm, running towards her. “Pack some clothes! Mr. Policeman said we could come to his house for a sleepover! And Alley Cat, too!”

Martha smiled, delighted by Amy’s excitement.

“That’s wonderful news, sweetheart,” she said, lightly ruffling Amy’s hair. “Go on ahead and start packing some of your things. I’ll be in there in a minute to help you.”

“Okay, Mama,” Amy said with a smile.

As soon as Amy left the room, Martha roamed over the faces standing before her. They all looked so very sincere. And sympathetic.

“How can I ever thank you enough?” she said with tears in her eyes. 

Jena came forward and gathered Martha’s hands in hers. “We want to do this for you and Amy.” She smiled a little. “You’ll have our entire family behind you.”

“You’ve been through a lot,” Alexander said in a somber voice. “And I can tell you’re a strong person… a fighter. Think about what you’ve done so far and everything you’ve endured. I have faith you can do anything if you put your mind to it.”

“And you won’t have to do it alone,” Jem chimed in.

“Our point is that everyone needs help at one time or another,” Nicolas said. “I’ve had my share of fears and issues to work through.” He looked at Jena and then to the others. “I wouldn’t know where I’d be if it weren’t for everyone in this room.” He refocused his eyes back on Martha. “This is a group of good people I’m proud to call my family. And just like me, you’ll learn to appreciate what family—or at least this family—is all about.”

Emotion filled Martha’s heart until tears streamed down her cheeks. She had no idea what to say or if she could even speak at all. She bit her lip, desperate to hold back the sobs that welled in her throat. 

“It’s okay, Martha,” Helen said softly. “You’ve earned the right to cry all you want.”

The moment Martha started to sob, Jena, Helen, Alexander, Nicolas, and Jem gathered around her. As they all embraced her in loving arms, she wept and let the joyous moment invade her soul.

To be continued. . .
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal and a detective for the San Francisco Police Department. He has bonded with Jena McCain.

Martha Dunlap - Her and her daughter were kidnapped by a serial rapist. Before they were harmed, Jena's creature saved them and killed their kidnapper.

Amy Dunlap - She is Martha's five year old daughter.

Alexander Crest - He is a Breedline species, Jace and Jem's biological father. He is bonded to Dr. Helen Carrington.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.