Horror and Thriller Fiction posted January 4, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Blood

The cure

by Iza Deleanu


It's happening tonight! As I was walking thru the Valley of Shadows, I started wondering about my past life. I was not a bad person. I was on the average fence; you know the usual shit. Low on parents, rock-bottom on luck, but I guess God had other plans for me, otherwise I would not have survived the accident. My parents died when I was six years old in a car accident. I started riding the foster system like a Pro. No matter how good I was, I was always ending up getting kicked out to the curb for somebody's else mistakes.

Tonight, I was eighteen, happy birthday to me, the Creepy Girl. I was finally out of the system free to choose my own destiny. I had good grades, and I was hoping to get a scholarship and go to college. No matter what they say, I believe that education is the key to get out of the dumpster. But now, I will have to put a stop to this dream and fulfill my destiny: bleeding to death for humanity... that doesn't give a fork about me! Oh, wait! I got it good: Jesus died without anesthetic. Or maybe I will get lucky and escape... again! You know the "father if you wish take this cup away from me" or something like that!

I ruined my future just like that. I got into a fight, again, and somehow a knife landed on my foot and cut me pretty good. When I saw that I couldn't stop the bleeding, I went to the hospital and that is when they found out about my miraculous blood. The crazy scientist kidnapped me and brought me here. His eyes were sparkling billions of dollars. He was negotiating simultaneously with three pharmaceutical companies. They found out that my blood contains the cure to this bloody virus that was wiping people left and right. Damn it! What did I have to go to the hospital for that cut on my leg? I tried to run but being hurt didn't help my cause!

They locked me here, thinking that I am going to die, but I did not! All I know is that it is happening tonight! You wonder what? Well, I guess the exchange: my blood for a miracle-cure. They just need my blood and can be used cold too, so I do not need to be alive.

Wait somebody is coming. I hear voices.

"John, we don't need to kill her. We just have to get her a contract for her blood".

"Eli, she is a nobody. Who is going to miss her? We can use and dispose of her body!"

"John, listen to me. The blood is going to work only if you are getting it willingly! Otherwise, is just blood!"

"Cut the crap, Eli. We are scientists, not some kind of superstitious old ladies. "

" John, the blood is like the water; it contains emotions and life, given freely heals, taken forcedly ... kills!"

"Eli, I disagree!"

"John, I am afraid that I have to take out of this project. Greed darkened your judgment. Guards!"

I heard steps. The sack was removed.

"Lily, my name is Eli, and I am so sorry that we are meeting in these unfortunate circumstances. I am here to offer a deal. We need your blood to create a cure that will help everybody on this planet. We are going to offer you lots of money for your precious help. All we need from you it is to give your blood freely. I know it is a lot to ask, but I promise you I will not force you. I know my partner kidnapped you, and I am very ashamed of that. We need you; humanity depends on you!"

I know that I had nobody to return to. Was this dangerous? Why they were offering money if I was going to be dead.

"Miss Lily, I know what you are thinking, but you will live and you will get a chance to spend that money."

I could not believe my luck: save humankind and get a life worry-free, college, house a chance to help other kids in my situation. I turn towards Eli and said:

"Okay, Mr. Eli, you can have my blood, but I want you to add something to your offer."

"Anything, name it!"

"I want you to create a foundation that will help kids that are from the foster care system and would like to go to college." It's happening tonight and I am ready for it!


 



This Sentence Starts The Story contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.