General Fiction posted January 3, 2021 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a new case for Bull Schlitz

A chapter in the book Zoo Murder:

Zoo Murder

by Bill Schott




Detective Dan D'weir steps out of the elevator on the second story of the police station and walks past repairmen in the hallway. It seems that the squad room's windowed walls had just been replaced. He remembers there used to be stenciled words on the glass; they hadn't yet been applied.

Through the glass he sees his new boss, Inspector Bull Schlitz, sitting at a desk. The rugged senior detective wears slacks, shirt, and tie which all look as if they are his only, well-worn outfit. His five o'clock shadow at ten a.m. completes a picture of a bachelor with little concern with his wardrobe. D'weir waves to get the man's attention. The inspector looks at him, blinks, then makes a slight head gesture to call the new detective in.

"Hi, Inspector Schlitz. I'm Detective D'weir. I've been assigned to your office."

"Sure. Fine."

"I understand that your former detective disappeared."

Bull looks at the younger man. Without expression he says," "If you understand, tell ME."

The detective decides not to pursue the topic and, instead, offers the inspector a sealed, vinyl, file folder.

"There's been a murder at the city zoo."

Bull accepts the folder and opens it.

"Have you gone through this preliminary report yourself?"

"Yes, sir. The crime scene is secure and uniformed officers are ready to brief us."

Inspector Schlitz stands, while opening a drawer and retrieving his revolver. Walking to the exit, he looks back at the detective.

"Let's go -- Dweirdo."



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.