General Fiction posted January 2, 2021 Chapters:  ...24 25 -26- 27... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The questions are slowly being answered.

A chapter in the book Traffic

Nearing the Finish Line

by Liz O'Neill




Background
The Ladies are sitting in a car surrounded by raging brush & forest fires. We are listening to their conversations. Liz & Linda have questions about Tommy, who has questions about them.
Liz was trying to remember what she'd heard her mother or some other adult say when she was a child. It was something like, 'We don't want to wear out our welcome." 

But she couldn't remember if you actually said it to your host or hostess. It didn't feel right to say the whole thing to someone. It seemed to be more meant to think or say to those accompanying you. In this case, Linda."

She was becoming frustrated about how to say it. What did it mean anyway? To wear out one's welcome? She guessed it meant it was a polite way of thinking it was time to go. 

They had stayed a long time talking with Tommy and feasting at a backseat banquet.  But if they left now, her questions would never be answered. There was no way to check-in with Linda.

Quiet took over the car. It was the kind of silence that materialized when one or all parties had questions they wanted to ask, but for different reasons, thought better of it.

Tommy sensed a change in the comfort of the ambiance of the dining. To break the tension he decided to transfer the remaining foods from the trunk to the car floor under the AC.  "I think I'll get the rest of the containers from the back to put in here. Make yourselves comfortable."

Liz was relieved when he left. " It sounds like he might be Sage's brother and remember Feather, her sister? They and Dragonfly let Turtle climb in with them under the covers."

That's right. They lived in a HUD house too, didn't they? Could he be their brother? Linda's interest was growing.

"But I don't know how we'll ever find it out. We probably should be going. I remember hearing my mother say, 'we don't want to wear out our welcome'."

"Yours said that too? So did mine and my grandmother." Linda laughed.

"Oops. Here he comes," Linda whispered as she got out to open the door for Tommy.

Tommy noticed the ladies were still quiet, as the door was opened. He said nothing as he set the goodies down. He began muttering to himself as he stood at the rear of his Accord. "Could it be them? I've got to find out. But how? I can't just come out and ask them. What if it isn't them? That would be embarrassing. Majorly embarrassing. And maybe it's me just hoping."

He took a deep breath, shook his head, shrugged his shoulders, shut the trunk, turned, and carried the last of the food toward the passenger's side. Linda jumped out again to help him.

Tommy got settled back into the passenger's seat, stretching his legs across the gear shift, resting them on the driver's side. In his acrobatics to get situated, the toe of his boot hit the horn. They startled and laughed. This broke the mood. Everyone knew how embarrassing making such a faux pas would feel. 

Other surrounding cars began a domino effect of honking. "Now they'll never figure out who started it." Liz laughed.


It became quiet again. The energy in the 'room' had clearly changed. It was as if they stood at the starting gate waiting for the signal. 

In unison, they posed their question in rote fashion. Liz began, followed by Linda, finished by Tommy.

"What tr---"

"When d---"

"So w---"

They laughed hysterically.

Tommy invited Liz, "Go ahead, what were you going to say?" 

Losing courage, Liz said, I guess we should be going. Thank y---"

"Absolutely not. Where would you two go? Where are you headed ? Do you have a goal?  What you brought here anyway? " 

He became apologetic. "I didn't mean to drown you with questions. Maybe you will want to leave after that diatribe."

Both ladies shook their heads. "No, you're right."

"Yuh, where would we go? Just keep walking? It has been a relief to be sitting here. To be sitting somewhere, besides in a swamp or on a downed Maple Tree. We are ever grateful." Liz explained.

Linda began with a short explanation of them sitting in their car with a dead battery and how their starting out to find a garage led to one adventure after another.

"What kind of adventures?" There it was; he'd asked the question that would blow this puzzle wide open. There was a secret satisfaction smile on all three.

Liz took a deep breath with both hands extended. "I don't know quite where to start."

"The very best place to start is at the beginning." sang Tommy. He had a nice voice, a beautiful falsetto.

Liz smiled at his welcoming brown eyes. "First of all, I'm wondering if there are any burial mounds around here. We saw the tattoo-like markings at the base of cut logs, representing the spirits who had gone into the trees. It was very moving."

"Wow. I thought I was the only one who believed such things. How honorable. Yes, there are many sad spots around here where the slaughter of our People took place."

Liz sat erect. He said 'our People'. I wonder if he is of the Crow Nation? We're getting closer. In her imagination, she clapped.

"We heard a chainsaw and when we got to the location there were only logs remaining; no trees, just the naked stumps. There was a striking image of a blackened horse in the center of the stump and log. There was other evidence of the spirits, but that one stands out in my memory. Have you ever seen anything like that, Tommy?" Liz asked.

"Well, that's why I was amazed and comforted to hear this. Yuh, I've seen pictures in the sawn trees. I know they are from the spirits who have traveled into the forest. The Little Big Horn battlefield isn't that far from here. That place has a bitter history. I don't want to spend any more time on that subject; I can feel myself getting worked up."

"I'm afraid--Liz confessed-- I'm no help here. My stomach boils when I read anything about the injustices which continue today." So why don't we move on to our next adventure. Linda saved the day and my life. "

"Oh, I'm not that much of a hero."

Tommy, she helped me get out of a terrifying situation. I had one leg up to my knee in something like quicksand." 

"So what did you do, Linda?"

She told how Liz was focused on seeing a raised rock across the swamp and coming back her foot slipped into the mud. "I had to figure out how to help her get her foot out."

"And she did it. I'd still be there if she hadn't figured something out with branches and logs."

How many more adventures have they had? Tommy was beginning to wonder. 

We are at the point where we have to tell about the girls. We'll soon know if he is of the Crow Nation and if he is Sage and Feather's brother. Liz held her breath.

 




I'd like to acknowledge helvi2 once again for their picture that suits my theme very well. This book is about the adventures of Liz & Linda in Montana. Most of the adventures are related to the fact that they are close to the Crow Nation Reservation.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.