Supernatural Fiction posted December 28, 2020 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Lunch Date

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. This is new, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Happy holidays to all! Enjoy!
By the time Carrie arrived at work, she noticed how bare the parking lot was. Of course, she thought, rolling her eyes, who works on a Sunday?

“Damn it, Veronica,” she groaned. “Why do you have to be such a jerk?”

She swallowed back her pride and reached to open the door. A dinging sound coming from her purse suddenly caught her by surprise. As she reached inside to retrieve her phone, she noticed there was a text from Joseph.


Are you allowed a lunch break?

Carrie’s lips instantly curled up. She texted back a laughing emoji and typed: The warden allows me an hour every day.

Her phone dinged with another text: LOL. Pick you up at noon?

Sounds great. Where are we going?

Her phone dinged. You choose the place.

How’s Augie’s Deli sound?

He texted a hungry emoji face and added: Perfect! Can’t wait!

After she texted him a thumbs up emoji, she put her phone back inside her purse and opened her door to get out, wearing a smile.  

The second Carrie exited her Volkswagen Beetle, a sporty black Mercedes pulled up alongside her. She immediately recognized her boss’s expensive car and grumbled under her breath.   
  
Although Carrie was ready to get the day over with, she stood there and waited as Veronica got out of her car.

She lifted her designer sunglasses and glared at Carrie underneath a thick layer of blue eyeshadow. “Well, I’m surprised you made it in,” she snidely remarked. Then, she glanced at her watch and added, “And on time, too.”

“Good morning to you too, Miss Hernandez,” Carrie shot back.

Veronica arched a brow. “Looks like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. What’s a matter?” She smirked at Carrie. “Did your Valentine’s date go sour?”

“As a matter of fact,” Carrie said, “I had a wonderful time. Joseph is a great guy.”

“Is that so?” Veronica said, tilting her head. “You know… I was surprised to see you out on a date.”

Carrie shrugged. “Why’s that?” 

“Wasn’t your boyfriend murdered recently?”

“Kevin was my ex-boyfriend,” Carrie replied. “And yes, his life was taken tragically. But if you don’t mind, I’d like to keep my personal life private.”

“Fine,” Veronica huffed. “But it sounds a little odd to be dating someone else so soon. Just saying…”

Carrie rolled her eyes and before she started for the front entrance, Veronica called out, “Hold up, Carrie. I’ve got a few boxes of files in my trunk that need brought to my office. I’ll need you to take care of those.” And then she tossed Carrie her car keys. “Make sure you lock up when you’re done.”

“Wait a minute,” Carrie said, stopping Veronica before she walked away. “They’re not patient files, are they?”

Veronica shrugged one shoulder. “Yah, why?”

“When did we start taking our patient’s files home? Doesn’t that violate HIPAA?”

“Honestly Carrie,” Veronica said in a despairing tone. “Are we really going to go there?”

“But I was just—”

“Stop undermining my authority,” Veronica interjected. “I don’t pay you to question my judgement. Just keep your mouth shut and do your damn job. And hurry up with those boxes,” she added as she turned away, flipping her hair. “You keep flapping your jaw and we’ll be here all day.”

Finally, after Carrie set down the last of the four boxes, she said, “This is the last one.”

“Good.” Veronica sneered. “Now you can file them.”

“I don’t understand.” Carrie looked at her perplexed. “Isn’t that your assistant’s job?”

“Yes,” Veronica replied with a spiteful pitch in her voice. “But for today… you’re taking her place.”

“But—”

“Please, don’t argue with me,” Veronica snapped, cutting Carrie off. “I don’t have the patience today. Just do what I ask for once. Besides, do you really think I enjoy being here, Carrie? You wouldn’t be here in the first place if you hadn’t been late Saturday morning.”

“Miss Hernandez, did you ever consider the reason why I was late?”

“You said it was personal.”

“It was,” Carrie replied. “I was attacked and almost raped by two men. And after I managed to get away, later that night, me and my roommate found Kevin’s body in the parking lot of my apartment building.”

A moment of silence cropped up between them. Then, Veronica muttered, “Oh…” She visibly swallowed. “Well… you should have called in sick that day.”

“This is why I didn’t call in sick.” Carrie threw her hands up in defeat. “I was afraid you’d make me work through the entire weekend to make up my hours. I’m not some hourly factory worker, for Pete’s sake. I’m a licensed substance abuse counselor, and a damn good one at that.”

“How dare you take that tone with me,” Veronica said through gritted teeth. “Remember who you’re talking to. And if you think I buy all that garbage, Miss Randall, think again. Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like some coffee before you start filing.”

Carrie’s jaw dropped, completely astounded by Veronica’s harsh words. She’d never met anyone so cruel, so heartless. She wanted nothing more than to tell her boss to go to hell, but instead, she said, “If you’ll excuse me…” She bit back tears. “I need a moment.”

As Carrie turned to leave, Veronica said, “Don’t forget about my coffee. I take it with cream and sugar.”  

The day seemed to painfully tick away at a snail’s pace. Carrie spent most of it filing and fetching coffee while her boss talked on the phone. She could tell by Veronica’s flirtatious voice, whoever was on the other end didn’t have anything to do with work. Nevertheless, Carrie did whatever she had to do to get through the day.

A long exhale escaped Carrie’s lips the moment she looked at the clock and saw it was almost noon. Thank goodness, she thought. At least my day isn’t completely ruined.

“Carrie,” Veronica called out. “I need you to go pick up my lunch. I called in an order at Ike’s Sandwich Shop.”

“Why don’t you just have Ike’s deliver?” Carrie said. “They’re not far from here.”

“Because,” Veronica said, snarling her upper lip, “I told you to go pick it up.”

“It’ll take a while,” Carrie said. “I’ve got a lunch date. But I can stop by and get it on my way back.”

“Oh…” Veronica cocked a brow. “Is this that Joseph fella or someone else?”

“It’s Joseph… the same guy you met last night.”

“Yes, I remember. The tall handsome guy with a bit of an attitude. So, what does he do for a living, or…” she lightly snickered, “…does he even have a job?”

Carrie ignored Veronica’s insults and said, “He’s a freelance journalist for the Chronicle.”

 “Well, well, well,” Veronica said in a dragged-out fashion. “Lucky you. Seems like you landed someone with not only looks, but brains. Tell me… is he any good in the sack?”

Carrie furrowed her brows. “This conversation is making me uncomfortable and it’s inappropriate.” 

“Oh, come on, Carrie. Don’t be such a stick in the mud. You take everything way too serious.”

“I take my job very serious, Miss Hernandez. I think there’s a time and place for personal business and this is not one of them.”

“Alright, alright,” Veronica said, waving it off like it was nothing. “Forget I said anything. Go have fun on your little lunch date. I’ll call Ike’s back and have them deliver my food.”

As soon as Veronica finally shut her pie-hole, Carrie scurried out of the office, shot through security, and exited the building in less than two minutes. When she saw a black Jeep pull into the parking lot and park by her car, she waived in Joseph’s direction.

Before she reached for the door handle, she took a deep breath. As the anxiety eased off a little, she proceeded to open the door. A voice calling out stopped her hand mid-way.

“Wait… let me get that for you.”

Carrie looked up as Joseph got out of the driver’s side and hurried over to open her door.

“You don’t have to do that,” she said, looking over her shoulder at him with the biggest grin on her face. “I can open my own door.”

“I know,” he said, smiling back at her. “But I enjoy it.”

After she climbed inside, he closed the passenger door and got back behind the wheel.

“I’m starving,” he said as he put the Jeep in reverse. “How about you?”

“Famished,” she simply said.

“Good.” He wiggled his brows. “I like a girl with a healthy appetite.”

She smiled up at him as he shifted in drive and tore out of the parking lot.

When they arrived at Augie’s Deli and ordered their food, Joseph sat down in the chair across from Carrie and reached for her hand. “Is something wrong, Carrie?” he kept his voice low. “You look a little upset.”

She sighed. “I’m sorry, Joseph. I don’t mean to ruin our lunch date.”

“No, no,” he quickly replied, lightly squeezing her tense hand. “You’re not ruining anything. You wanna talk about it?”

“It’s just… hard for me to talk about.”

“It’s your boss again, isn’t it?”

“It’s time to take care of Miss Veronica,” the Shadow whispered into Joseph’s subconscious. “I’m starving, and I’m losing my patience, Joseph.”

Carrie closed her eyes and when they reopened, the heartache shining nearly sent Joseph over the edge.

“Listen to me, Carrie. You can trust me.”

She shook herself and forced a smile. “It’s nothing I can’t handle myself. Let’s talk about you. How’s your day so far?”

“Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?” His eyes met hers steadily. “I’ve been told I’m a good listener.”

“What?” the Shadow remarked. “You never listen to anything I say.”

Carrie stared at him for a long moment, as if she was debating what to tell him. “Well… after today, I’ve decided to give that attorney a call. My boss has overstepped the boundaries.”

“Good for you, Carrie. I think you’re making the right decision.”

The sincerity and encouragement in Joseph’s voice lifted some of the weight off her shoulders. 

“Me too,” she said. “And you’re right. You are a good listener. Thanks Joseph.”

“She’s wasting her time,” the Shadow said. “After we get done with Miss Veronica, her problems will be solved indefinitely. Instead of an attorney, she’ll need her boss’s dental records to identify what’s left of her body.”  

To be continued. . .

 

 




A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. It's main purpose is to gain access to souls by using it's host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.