Biographical Non-Fiction posted December 20, 2020 Chapters:  ...19 20 -22- 23... 


Good
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How Dr. Gerstein saved the day

A chapter in the book Lamentations of a Lost Laddy

Second Chance

by Badger_29


"We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance" Harrison Ford


Background
the first two chapters deal with my childhood then there were chapters about coming to Sacramento for recovery and personal testimonies and thoughts on family members.
  Classic Role Reversal

One thought that occurred to me is that once a writer gets established he can acknowledge a lot of people publicly. This can be with positive or negative connotations.

My name is Darren and I was born on April 20th in Reno Nevada in 1963. I had a magical childhood, growing up being curious about life having a million interests. I liked studying etymology, entomology, and snails. I had a chemistry set, a gyro scope, & a big wheel that was round with wheels on each side with handles for each hand.  I had a lot of fun turning one hand one way and the other wheel opposite, to spin in circles.  I had a fascination with spinning things like coins and tops, and was delighted with my first gyroscope.

Because I peed my pants when I was a kid.  you see, one of the symptoms of ADHD is that your so very interested in everything that you're doing that you don't like the take any time out for such trivial things such as going to the bathroom so you forget.  Well, you don't forget exactly you just put it off or as long as you possibly can and then by the time you are ready to go you go whether it's in your pants or in the bathroom. 

There is a wonderful organization called One Community Health.  It is at 1500 21st Street in Sacramento California. Years ago, my partner Kevin Chorn became a client there.
At that point in time they were located on Capitol Avenue as CARES - Center for AIDS REearch Sacramento.

There I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. David Asimuth, the best Dr I've ever had.
 I went to him and said,
"Doc,  I gotta problem."
"what's that?"  he asked. 
"I'm addicted to meth", I replied
He looked at me in a penetrating, loving way which makes you think sometimes that someone is looking into your soul, took a professional stance and put his hands behind his back, and said,
"That's a tough one." 

I had previously met Kevin Chorn on New years Eve 1989, and by 1993 I was using meth IV. I have a lot of good memories of that period in time. Once when I was camping at Lake Natoma with a couple of my buddies and we all like breakfast cereal,  so Kevin drove down there before work that morning and brought us some milk and cereal. 

So, I came to CARES already pretty much addicted to meth.  This interfered  with my ability to keep my appointments, so Rosa, one of the first people that I met there, told me that if I kept it missing appointments I would have to start all over.  Little did we know how many times I would do just that!

As time when on, CARES helped me with a lot of things including but not limited to housing food, clothing, moral support, medication, diagnosis of disease, counseling, ongoing counseling,
Blood tests, free cooking classes, AOD meetings , and the like.
ALL in a setting where I have ran into people that I know I haven't seen for years, a veritable Mecca.

I would like to think each and every individual there who  has helped me.
Rosa, Anthony Gonzales, Josh Waller, Mark Minder, Dr Flynn, Dr Flamm, Jorge, Alondra, Pam in AOD, Jessica,  Cystal,  and all receptionists, 
all the people there who have copies of My book, Dr Mahano, Dr Wong, the wonderful elderly Lady who was my counselor before Jaime, 
Jaime and his wife, (who has provided me with succulent jams that have less sugar in them, including a wonderful mixed berry jalapeno jelly),  Dr Brannigan, all of the triage nurses, 
 Johnny, who selflessly spent one afternoon trying to find me a detox. Dr. Newhart,
And the doctor who replaced Dr Asimuth, Dr Chawla.
  She has every bit as much expertise and bedside manner as Dr, Asimuth and along with him, shines as a great example of the doctors that represent the patients who join me at One Community Health.


I would also like to thank Jessica Guiterrez, my worker from Harm Reduction Services, for her easy going manner, the truly stupendous amount of help which she provides, and the fact that I can play my guitar on the way to our appointments.
 One day we were admiring one day we were admiring one day we were admiring the music of The BeeGees.  I  learned "I Started a Joke", and "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart".
HRS is an organization here in Sacramento that teaches people how to be in less harm. 
They accomplish this by providing education about drugs and sex protection, operating a needle exchange, & providing narcane for heroin overdoses.  I'm sure they are responsible for saving countless lives here  Sacramento.

And last but not least, I would like to share my sincere appreciation for Dr. Gerstein, who made me angry knowing that it would make me more proactive in my case.
You see, something happened that made me want to file a grievance but in trying to file that grievance I got even more of the help and benefit. So, when I talked to Dt. Newhart about this she asked me if I wanted to file agreements or did I want to give him a second chance well I've been given plenty of second chances and I see no reason why I can't take something that otherwise it's negative and make something good come from it, like you have helped me do with my life.  Serendipity
Dr. Gerstein always encouraged my writing and my jewelry, and he showed great interest in a poem which I had written,
"Good Things are Going to Come (if you do right)".
I dedicated that poem to him, and then when I had my first books published who should I run into, but Dr. Gerstein.
On a warm, balmy summer day, I just happened to be riding by on my bike on my way home from the library where  I'd picked up my books up from I Street press. He bought my first book off me, (it was a God thing.)
When I was on adderall, I advised him that I had relapsed and he took it away. Very professional.

I am a published author and I am preparing to publish my second book but cannot do so without the help that this wonderful organization has provided me.

This whole experience has open my eyes to:
1.showing respect when you're receiving help, 
2. l am able to write about it so that everybody can see my perspective more clearly, 
 3.  being able to write about it so everybody can see everybody else's perspective more clearly.

To prove and illustrate my point, I just now got a call from CalFresh to let me know that my case has been approved because I was proactive I took pictures of all the appropriate documents to sent them in and even though I've missed two appointments over the phone she called to let me know that I was approved. So I told her about this letter, I am telling all of you about all of this right now because you are all an integral part of my recovery.

I don't know what's going to happen next but I know it's going to be good because when you lean on God He never lets you down, and He gives you this momentum like a snowball.

I think that you can see why I called this role reversal, because sometimes we are the teacher,  and sometimes we are the taught.

So years later, I reconnected with doctor Asimuth and he gave me some of the best advice I have ever gotten. He took my hand in his warmly, and looked into my soul, and said,
"You have to admit that you are powerless over your addiction, and you have to give it to God"
As I was leaving from the last time that I ever saw Doctor A, I said, 
"But Doc., I've got a problem".

He didn't hesitate.
He looked at me in a penetrating, loving way which makes you think sometimes that someone is looking into your soul, took a professional stance and put his hands behind his back, and said , "That's a tough one. " 
 
I was going to end right there, but here's the icing on the cake. Carolyn has called me twice oh, so when the phone rang again I said hello Carolyn.  The voice at the other end said,
"This isn't Carolyn its Elena.  And I just wanted to let you know that I mailed a new car to you because I didn't know you already had one. I apologize I should have called."
I told her,
" No apology necessary,I'm glad it worked out this way so that I could talk to you and thank you for your help"

You see, communication is the key. God gifted me with the great ability to communicate, and thanks to you I'm able to utilize that tool better than I ever have before. 




I would like to thanksboisvert180 on FanArtReview.com for the wonderful picture titled give it a chance, which I found to be appropriate for this.

If you're ever having a problem with someone and you're ready to call it quits, reconsider. I know I've gotten plenty of second chances and when I reconsidered after my little temper tantrum and somebody asked me if I wanted to keep dr. Gerstein I said yes I'd like to keep him. It takes a while to build a rapport with anyone on a professional level, and I wasn't ready to start all over with somebody different. Besides that, he's a very good doctor but like all of us, makes mistakes from time to time.

Blessings,
Brother Badger Cull
Darren
Sunday December 20
2020
Edited again on
February 19th, 2021
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by sboisvert180 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Badger_29 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Badger_29 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.