Family Script posted December 14, 2020 Chapters:  ...68 69 -70- 71... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Brother Where Are You?

A chapter in the book The Two of Me

A Land Line

by QC Poet


   It was in a now ancient time of the old "land-line" phone, I'm talking about that kind that would ring on a wall or table perhaps at our parents home or even on an apartment wall. Can you still remember that type?
   It had a long phone cord attached and your connection to the caller was limited by the length of the phone cord. Something like a brother's call could be a very concerning call back then - especially if you got cut off for some unknown reason.
  One day I received such a phone call it very soon became a concern of mine. As I picked up my ringing wall phone in my apartment one day and then heard my elder brother on the other end saying "George I'm drinking in this bar and got in a fight with four dudes here".
  I then heard a click as he had hung-up not telling me where he was. I was in a bit of panic but, I knew his route home from work as we both worked in different buildings for the same company, and we would regularly have a couple of beers after work during the week.

  I figured he must be at one of a few bar's where we hung out on the route to his house not knowing which one it could be. This surely had to be what the heck he was talking about. So I rushed from my apartment and immediately started driving toward the closest one I could think of and parked. I then ran into the bar and found it was empty raising my doubts.
   I thought I'd arrive to find him rolling with the four others in some kind of a bout! I quickly left and drove off to the next closest bar I could think of and found him there drunk sitting on a bar stool alone, so I asked him what happened with that duel? 
  Slurring he then looked and told me "don't worry little brother it was all over and now all is cool, I just had to take these youngsters back to our old school". "After they apologized they bought my beers and we played a little more pool, that's them over there by that pool table, I'll call them over to buy you a beer too!
 Don't worry, calm down, and don't you be so cruel!"

   I settled down a bit more as they soon supplied all the beers we could drink when I was not totally quite convinced but, still I could recognize the fear in their apologies while praising my brother's fighting skills as he'd made them very clear. I've never ever been quite as calm or as nice as my elder brother and I'm sure they saw it when I gave them a sneer.
  Eventually, I calmed down as my frown slowly went back down to then disappear. Even a couple of years later as we'd laugh about it when partying, now - it's been many more years later and since he has past on, my eyes will just fill up with more than a tear.




Share Your Story contest entry


A Land Line
12/14/2020
By; George Martinez
(A.K.A) QC Poet / Chochee Medina
A Land Line - Shared Story

Notes;
Readers - Do you think this could really happen?

Share Your Story, A memoir gives us the ability to write about our life. But you can write about life with the option to create and fabricate and to make sense of a life, or part of that life. Write a piece of your life!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. QC Poet All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
QC Poet has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.