General Fiction posted December 6, 2020 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Surprises

A chapter in the book A Murder a Month

A Murder a Month: Wake Up Call

by Bill Schott


CHARACTERS:
Red Appleton, President of the United States, after President Sullivan's death in office
C. C. Connor, former Chief of Staff to President Sullivan; trained assassin
Millie Manowitz, California state representative, twin sister of C.C. Connor; assassin.
Samantha Anthra, Chief of Staff to President Appleton; murdered Pres. Sullivan
Manuel Kontroz, Assistant to the President
Ben Baker, aka Butcher of Baghdad aka Bobby Do, assassin
Bull Schlitz, Chief Police Inspector
Detective Piglette (Piglet) Detective
Alexander Enero, Assassin, shot by Betty Brady
Dulce Corazon, Assassin, shot by Betty Brady
Dave Vision, Assassin, vivisected by Zack Newton, Detective/Assassin, shot by unknown sniper  
Betty Brady, Assassin, drowned by Dave Vision 


LAST TIME:
"Guess I'll take the rest of the week off, and let Piglet figure out who knocked off Newton."

"He would certainly know, Inspector."

Bull throws his arms in the air scoffing.

"Who ARE you!"

The man stands with the .38, slowly loading the rounds into the cylinder.

"My name is Manuel Kontroz."
----------------------------------------------------


"Manuel Kontroz?  Are you kiddin'?"  Bull looks at his revolver, now fully loaded, in this man's possession.

"No, Inspector Schlitz, I'm not."

"So what's this about 'Piglet would know?'  What's he know that I don't?"

"Detective Piglette is also a plant, Inspector."

Bull scans Kontroz up and down, still not understanding who he is or  why he is in his office.
"Yeah, Piglet is a plant alright; a potted plant. But he's no more a killer than my sweet Aunt Magilla."

Kontroz spins the cylinder on the .38, then points the barrel at Bull's chest. "You must mean your Aunt Margaret, your father's only sibling.  She was a career nurse, now retired and living out west.  She is not your aunt, however, but more likely your mother."

"What!?"

"Yes, Inspector. I had a few hours yesterday and checked you out. You are an only child, your father's wife is unable to conceive due to a childhood assault, and your father's sister was unfashionably pregnant and contemplating eliminating you. The rest is obvious."

"How?"

"Information is as available to me, Inspector, as chlorinated city water is to you."

"But, my Aunt --"

"Our concern is Detective Piglette, Inspector. Do you recall finding Alexander Enero?"

Bull nods to the affirmative.

"How did you find out about his death?"

The inspector simply stares back at Kontroz.

"You received an anonymous tip.  What about Dulce Corazon?"

Bull perks up. He recalls being told by -- "Piglet."

Kontroz stands and walks towards Bull.  He extends his arm and presents the pistol. 

"You will deduce that both Betty Brady and Dave Vision were supposedly anonymous calls received by Detective Piglette."

"How can you possibly know any of this for sure?" Bull asks, holding his revolver in the decided  direction of Manuel Kontroz.

"The police phone records are available for inspection. I was able to eliminate any outside calls concerning these cases. There were none, leaving the messenger as the origin as well."

"I can't imagine Detective Peesh -- Detective Peegla --"

"Detective Piglette, Inspector," comes a voice from the doorway.

Bull looks at the man as if he doesn't recognize him. 

"Piglet?"

 

  


 

 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.