General Fiction posted December 5, 2020 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Beer, beer, beer

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack ofthe 50 States:Wisconsin

by Bill Schott


In 1969 my family took a trip out West. We lived in Michigan, so the most direct route was to swim across Lake Michigan. Fortunately there is a ferry which hauls people and vehicles across the great lake. We boarded the S.S. Badger, a coal-fired deep water ship which took us 62 miles from Ludington, Michigan to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. The ship travels the waters today, but is more of an event than a necessity.

We saw all kinds of brewery signs in Milwaukee, when we drove through, that I know we'll never see again: Schlitz, Stroghs, Drewrys, Blatz, Black Label, Goebels, Falstaf, and Red Cap. Of course, I haven't had a beer since 1985, and they're not advertised on television, so I don't even know if they still make Pabst, Budweisser, or Michelob either.   In the military I learned to appreciate Heineken, Andeker, Coors, Suntory, and OB. But, I digress.

The state is one of the nation's leading dairy producers and is known as "America's Dairyland"; it is particularly famous for its cheese. Manufacturing paper products, cranberries, ginseng, and tourism are the major contributors to the state's economy.

The Green Bay Packers are a unique part of Wisconsin. The team is owned by the families in Green Bay. My son-in-law is a diehard Detroit Lions fan, which seems to make him a Cheese-head hater. 

When I worked in Iowa with the Marine Corps Reserve, I drove once a month to Fort McCoy, Wisconsin to schedule artillery firing ranges and allocate munitions. 

I think everyone knows that Wisconsin is the cheese place. There are lots of great things to do in this state.  







 



Recognized


Image is from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.