Fantasy Fiction posted December 6, 2020 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A larger world

A chapter in the book Another Life

The Duke

by lancellot




Background
The Earl's squires are training in Florence. Raymond reports his findings and intentions for an exploration of the underground tunnels to the Duke and his council.
The second son of Duke Reinhard finished his proposals. The Earl’s presentation should have been twice as long, but the men's faces around the table encouraged him to end it quickly.

“Thank you, Earl.” The Duke’s voice showed no sign of what he was thinking. His mild blue eyes lingered on Raymond. “You’ve all read the Earl’s report, and you’ve listened to his… suggestion. What are your thoughts?”

Several of the men around the table quietly conversed with each other. Some kept their counsel to themselves. Earl Raymond Charles Reinhard already knew the outcome. His father had referred to him by title and not by name. That slight deviation would be noticed by the powerful men in the room, including his brother.

“Father, your Grace.” The Marquise Edward Hall Reinhard, the first son of Duke Reinhard, stood. “Gentle noblemen, I love my little brother, but even I cannot support his ill-advised exploration at this time. The kingdom and our territory stand at a crucial moment. The king expects us to face the challenge of this pending attack realistically and decisively. We cannot assume assistance from the crown or the other regions without a solid defense grounded in the here and now and not our wishes. I support General’s Alexander plan. A quick preemptive strike is the only way to convince the desert tribes we are not to be trifled with.”

There were mumbles of agreement and nodding of heads from the Lords in the room as Edward retook his seat. Ever so slightly, he displayed the briefest of grins to Raymond.

General Yosef Alexander stood. His full gray hair shone like silver in the torchlight, in stark contrast to his solid well-toned body. A veteran of two wars and numerous skirmishes, he was a man whose military judgment was second to none. Though born of a lower noble family, his skill and reputation elevated his name above all except the kingdom’s highest-ranked families.

“Your Grace.” Yosef slightly bowed to the Duke. “The Marquise echo’s my assessment. We cannot afford to wait and fight on the invader’s terms. We have sixty thousand men stationed here and another ten thousand in reserve. The young Earl’s idea is bold, but we have no way of knowing if these tunnels lead anywhere but circles and dead ends. I encourage his Grace to approve the plan of a preemptive attack on our enemy.” The General sat to the sound of men banging their fists on the table in support.

Raymond knew the outcome before he entered the room. His spies had been delivering the same reports since his return to the castle. While he was away, his brother had been busy gathering support and trashing his name, not for personal reasons, of course, just for the benefit and wellbeing of the territory. Edward always reminded everyone how much he adored his brother. He only hoped young Raymond would get his head out of the past and stand in the present as their father wished.

Yes, Raymond knew the council would dismiss his plan. His father had no choice given the politics of the situation. That’s why Raymond never planned on the council’s approval.

Raymond stood. “Father, Councilmen. I will not stand against my elders’ vast wisdom. Men, supplies, and finances are needed against the threat we face, and I would never think of diverting a single soul or coin for what my dear brother rightly calls my little exploration. Brave men fight wars head-on, but brave men also go where none have gone before. With my father’s blessing, I will take a small group of non-combat men, at no cost to the war effort, and explore these tunnels.” He held open his empty hands. “Perhaps nothing will come of it beyond finding a small place to use as storage or, in case of the worst, a refuge for our women and children.” Raymond bowed his head and then retook his seat at his father’s left.

The room was silent. The Earl’s concession and words were unexpected, and if the worst happened, an underground space would be safe for – at least the women and children of nobility to shelter.

Edward glared at Raymond, his lower lip occasionally twitching as his mind swirled. What is he planning? Why is he so calm? Women and children, my ass. Though that was smart; most nobles are cowards always seeking to save their fat asses.

The Duke cleared his throat. “I appreciate the wise counsel I have received today. We will proceed with a preemptive strike. We must bring the Desert tribes to heel. Ruling in the wasteland is one thing but threatening the kingdom is another. General, prepare your men and move when ready.”

The Duke turned his eyes to his sons. “Edward will represent me in the field of battle. Raymond, you may conduct your survey of a possible refuge for our most vulnerable. May the three Gods see such a place is never required.” He looked across the table. “Though we fight today to preserve our present, we must never forget that the children are our future.” The Duke pulled his chair back and rose. “For his Majesty, and the people of Valeria, go forward. Dismissed.”

As the men filed out, the Duke and his two sons remained. No words were said but seeing the three men remain motionless was all the signal the others need. When the last man exited the room, a guard firmly closed the door behind him.

The Duke turned to his eldest. “Edward, I want you to proceed with caution. There is much we do not know. Should victory be at hand and the villains flee, do not give too much of a chase. The desert is their home, not ours; even great numbers can become a disadvantage in the unknown.”

“I will, Father, but--” Edward's face was ripe with concern. “It would be beneficial for Raymond to join my command to gain experience. The men need to know that he can--”

The Duke raised his hand. “I have made my decision. There will be other opportunities for Raymond to gain battle experience. Go see to your preparations.”

Edward stood, bowed to his father, spared a piercing glare to his brother, and then left the room.

Alone with his youngest, the Duke stood, rubbed his temples, and then walked to the room’s single window. Raymond followed his father. They looked out to the garden below in silence for several minutes.
 
“I had hoped,” the Duke began, then shook his head. “I guess it was a futile hope. I did not want to believe Edward’s disdain for you went that deep. I thought, officially naming him as my heir would be enough, but I see that power alone can not quell his hatred of you. A hatred, born of my own -- weakness and not of your doing.”

Raymond offered nothing and asked nothing. He knew all too well why his half-brother hated him. The death of Edward’s mother had left him heartless. Many years ago, the then Duchess was heartbroken when she discovered the only man she had ever loved could not keep his vows. Then, one of Cedric’s affairs with a beautiful young noble resulted in her pregnancy, a thing she could not or chose not to prevent.  Either way, her pregnancy could not be brushed aside or hidden. It proved to be the last straw for the Duchess. The humiliation and betrayal were too much for the gentlewoman to bear. She jumped from the balcony of her room into the courtyard garden. She was likely unaware that her young son, Edward, played in that very garden at that exact moment.  The child witnessed his mother cry out his father’s name in anguish before plummeting to her death. 

The young Duke was devastated and filled with guilt, but he had impregnated the daughter of a powerful noble, and grief or not, the honor of the man’s house was at stake. And so, a mere week after his late wife’s funeral, Duke Cedric Reinhard III remarried. Six or nine months later, who could say for sure, the new Duchess gave birth to a son, christened Raymond Charles Reinhard. But the realities of marriage are not those of an affair. Cedric’s passion for the young woman soon cooled, and the young lady found motherhood, not to her liking. The Duchess Romania Reinhard now spends most of her time in the family’s country estate pursuing – personal interests. Edward’s hatred did not lessen with her absence, and finally, Duke Reinhard understood, it never would.

Raymond did not want to say it, but he knew they’d come too far for it to go unsaid. “Then you know why he wants me with him in battle?”

The Duke nodded, and a single tear rolled down his face. “It would be a battle where you would not return. I am sorry, Raymond. I am so sorry. At times, it feels all I have felt for decades is sorrow I can never escape from.”

“You do not need to apologize, Father. I know what it means to be a young noble, and I understand the forces protecting Edward. Worry not; I can handle my brother.”

The Duke embraced his son. “This tunnel exploration; are you sure it is wise? Perhaps you could spend some time at your mother’s estate. You’ll be safe there. With her families’--”

Raymond smiled. “Mother does not need me intruding on her. You know how she likes her privacy. Besides, I do believe those tunnels are important and need to be explored sooner rather than later.”
 
Raymond parted from his father with assurances he would be careful. In the corridor leading to his room, he met up with Swordmaster Lecher. “You’re looking chipper this evening, Kreo.”

“It has been a fascinating couple of days, my Lord.”

“Oh, and how are my new squires working out?”

“They are good lads, though they have much to learn about serving nobility. Are you sure that--”

Raymond waved his hand. “Unfortunately, my brother’s reach goes far. I cannot trust the sons of even lesser nobles. Those boys may be commoners, but they have proven their courage and loyalty. Today, those are qualities in short supply. Besides, I’m sure you’ll whip them into proper shape. You did a great job with me.” The Earl paused as a servant walked by. “Are the preparations complete?”

Lecher lowered his voice. “Mostly, and speaking of squires.  Young Escamilla had a unique idea for a weapon against the spiders.”

“The what?”

“Scrappers, my Lord. For some reason, he calls them spiders. It seems to fit. Anyhow, I have your blacksmith working on the weapons.”

The Earl nodded. “Good, I’ll take whatever advantage we can get. I’m sure my brother has a contingency plan. Gather the men. We leave immediately.” He grabbed Lecher’s arm. “Let it be known we are heading to my mother’s estate. That may give us a day or two.”

“Yes, my lord.” Lecher bowed and then left the Earl.

 “Brother, what am I to do with you?” Expecting no answer from the air, Raymond hurried on his way.




Please ignore the bold type. I can't remove it for some reason.

Characters so far:
Paul Escamilla, 16 yrs old, Squire to Earl Reinhard. formerly, Derrick Williams, US soldier. reborn as Paul.
Dominic Escamilla. Paul's new father, Soldier, 36 yrs old
Rosetta Escamilla. Paul's new mother, Seamstress, 35 yrs old
Duke Reinhard. Ruler of the Southern district. 50 yr.
Crista Escamilla. Paul's 16 year old slave/wife
Alfred 16, male, Watch cadet Twin brother of Algar
Algar: 16, male, Squire to Earl Reinhard. Twin brother of Alfred
Parcell Chambers: 16, male Squire to Earl Reinhard.
Master Fenwick Dougal: 50s, former soldier in the Kingdom army, Watch instructor.
Vetch Rawls: 45, master scout of the Watch. Desert tracker.
Earl Raymond Charles Reinhard: 2nd son of his Grace Duke Cedric Reinhard III.
Mayor John: Mayor of Florance, Minor noble
Baron Lecher: Swordmaster to Duke Reinhard III
Commander Barnes: Commander of the City Watch
General Yosef Alexander: Commander of Duke Reinhard's Army.
Marquise Edward Hall Reinhard: Eldest son of Duke Reinhard, half-brother to Earl Raymond Reinhard
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. lancellot All rights reserved.
lancellot has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.