General Fiction posted November 30, 2020 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Two thousand pounds of laundry

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attackofthe50 States: Washington

by Bill Schott

                                       

Washington is in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. Named for George Washington, the first U.S. president, the state was made out of territory ceded by the British Empire in 1846. It became the 42nd state in 1889. 

The state is bordered on the west by the Pacific Ocean, Oregon to the south, Idaho to the east, and the Canadian province of British Columbia to the north.  

Olympia is the state capital; the state's largest city is Seattle. Washington is often referred to as Washington state to distinguish it from the nation's capital, Washington, D.C.

My wife and I stayed at a hotel in Seattle, a few years ago, on our way to catch a cruise to Alaska. Our room overlooked the blocks where the 1962 World's Fair was held. Many of the structures built for that event still stand including the iconic Space Needle.  

Sixty percent of Washington's residents live in Seattle.  It is the center of transportation, business, and industry along Puget Sound, an inlet of the Pacific Ocean consisting of numerous islands and bays. (When I think of Puget Sound I remember An Officer and a Gentleman.  Navy Cadet Zack Mayo versus Marine Master Sergeant Emil Foley. Joe Cocker sang "Up Where We Belong".)

Some other shows filmed in the state of Washington:
Sleepless in Seattle 
Twin Peaks was filmed in North Bend, WA
Northern Exposure was about Alaska, but was filmed in Roslyn.
Paralex View (government intrigue)
The Twilight Saga (vampires and werewolves with teen angst)
Vision Quest (high scool wrestling)
North to Alaska (John Wayne and Maureen O'hara)
First Blood (Rambo I)
Harry and the Hendersons
(Big Foot)
10 Things I Hate About You (Taming of the Shrew in high school)
The Ring (Japanese horror)
The Postman (post-apocolypic mail delivery)
The Spy Who Shagged Me (Austin Powers)
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan)
Dante's Peak (Volcano)

That last film reminds me that Mount St. Helens, near Portland, WA, which erupted on May 18, 1980. There were 57 people killed and 250 homes, 47 bridges, 15 miles of railways, and 185 miles of highway destroyed.

Mount Rainier, an active stratovolcano, is the state's highest elevation, at almost 14,411 feet. 

The state has rainforests and mountain ranges in the west and north which lead to intensive agriculture in the east and central areas.

Washington is a leading lumber producer: Douglas fir, hemlock, ponderosa pine, white pine, spruce, and cedar.

Washington is the nation's largest producer of apples, hops, pears, raspberries, spearmint, cherries, apricots, asparagus, peas, grapes, lentils, peppermint, and potatoes.

Livestock, salmon, and halibut contribute to the state's economy.

Washington ranks second only to California in wine production.

Washington has aircraft and missile industries and shipbuilding. 

Washington has more than a thousand dams, including the Grand Coulee Dam, built for a variety of purposes including irrigation, power, flood control, and water storage.

Washington is one of the wealthiest and most socially liberal states in the country.
  • It was one of the first to legalize cannabis (which I guess we don't call marijuana any more).
  • Among the first to legalize same-sex marriage.
  • First to provide legal abortions on request before Roe v. Wade.
  • Approved physician-assisted suicide and along with Oregon, California, Colorado and Vermont, and Washington, D.C., legalized the practice.
  • Criminalized the sale, possession and transfer of bump stocks, along with California, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, Maryland, and Massachusetts.
Professional sports in Washington:
  • MLB = Seattle Mariners
  • NFL = Seattle Seahawks
  • MLS = Seattle Sounders
  • NHL = Seattle Kraken
  • NBA = { }

It is a bit chilly in Washington, so I am going to West Virginia.



 



Recognized


Image and data from Wikipedia and various sources on Google.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.