Romance Fiction posted November 26, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is a Cinderella story with some different twists..

The Mirror Ring

by GollyGreen32


“I’m moving out,” Anne said. The lemony scent of the tea wafted into her nostrils. The scent comforted her and gave her courage on this windy and overcast October day.

“Why? Aren’t you happy here?” Ilene asked.

“No. You and Jane don’t respect me. If I stay, I’ll never amount to anything.”

Ilene sighed and placed her hand over Anne’s. “Oh Anne. You always cause so much drama.”

Anne pulled her hand away. “I landed a job as the housekeeper at the Striped Candle.”

“You’re going to work for that hoity-toity winery family? Whatever for? Stay with us and save your money.”

“I don’t make enough at the bookstore, the hotel, and McDonald’s to get anywhere, so I’m leaving.” She didn’t dare add “and support you and Jane too.”

“When do you start?” Ilene asked. She spun her teacup in the saucer.

“Monday of next week,” Anne said. She didn’t feel guilty about leaving her stepmother or her stepsister behind. They never got along. Jane got the beauty, and she got the brains and the drive from her dad. After Dad died, Ilene got the house, and Jane got spoiled on the money he left them. Keyword. Them. No spoiling for her. Not that she planned to spend it on her hair, nails, and clothes like Jane. A few more art classes would do simply fine for her. She excelled at cleaning and organizing the house too; tasks that her stepmother and stepsister criticized when she did them but didn’t do themselves. Her family didn’t appreciate anything, but she would put some of her talents to good use. Now. Her stepmother and stepsister probably thought she would never leave.

***

Anne settled at the Striped Candle, and the first week passed without any major disasters. The other household staff treated her kindly, and she met one of her two employers and their mother. The younger brother, Anthony, was handsome and suave with playful, laughing hazel eyes. He and his mother, Olivia, gave her a tour of the mansion and briefed her on the housekeeper’s duties, repeating what Anthony had said in the interview. She hadn’t met Paul yet, the somewhat reclusive older brother.

Their mother was a soft-spoken, kind woman with quiet grace. The old mansion had a gourmet kitchen, vaulted ceilings, a massive ballroom, a manicured lawn, a wonderful-smelling herb garden, and her dream room, a large library complete with a stately mahogany desk and a small fireplace. The older brother also used it as an office. Twelve bedrooms on the second floor, all with king-sized canopied beds and electric fireplaces. She took the small bedroom on the third floor of the house. Private and quiet. Her job was to ensure that this beautiful, tastefully decorated home stayed clean and tidy and that the staff did it like a well-oiled machine. Part of her duties were also to clean.

“I hope you’ll be happy here,” Olivia said when they completed the tour. “I’m certainly happy you’re with us.” Her smile was warm and inviting. “I’m sorry that my son Paul could not be here, but he had pressing business at the vineyard.” She giggled. “No pun intended.” 

***

On the following Sunday afternoon, her day off, Anne strolled through the neighborhood on a ‘get-to-know your surroundings’ walk. A high school classmate once said she wanted to walk every street in the city to do exactly that. The days were growing cooler. The autumn season would arrive soon. Ahead of her, she saw a little old woman wearing a blood red scarf and trudging up the lane with two heavy bags and gasping for breath.

Anne approached the woman and touched her on the shoulder. “Let me carry the bags. You’ll never make it up the hill with this load.”

The old woman nodded and lifted the bags for Anne to grab. “Thank you.”

Anne followed the woman to the small bungalow at the top of the hill and set the bags on the kitchen table. As Anne looked around, she pushed back some of her brown hair that had escaped from under her black knit hat and curled against her face. Bottles lined the shelves and counters. She smelled mint and lemon.

The old lady stepped in front of her. “I’m Lucinda. How can I show you my appreciation?”

“Don’t mention it. It was my pleasure to help. I’m Anne by the way.” She held out her hand for a handshake. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Wait a minute.” Lucinda left the room.

Anne dropped her hand back to her side.

Lucinda returned. She lifted her hand and opened her fingers. In her palm lay a ring. It had a central mirror surrounded by a flowing Mughal floral motif in Kundan. She held it out to Anne. Light reflected from the surface.

Anne gasped. “Oh no, Lucinda! I couldn’t take that from you.”

Lucinda smiled. “Please take it. The ring can make you the happiest and most powerful of women. It reminds you that you’re important and worthy."

Anne stared at Lucinda.

Lucina stared back, her hazel eyes twinkling, still offering the ring to Anne. “Please. Take it.”

Anne took the ring and slipped it on her finger. She looked at Lucinda. “Thank you. It’s gorgeous.” She lifted the ring and looked at her tiny reflection.

“Be careful with it, though. Don’t become like Narcissus and fall in love with your own image.”

Anne laughed. “I won’t. Thanks again. See you around.”

Lucinda nodded. “It’s the least I could do for your kindness.”

Anne turned and walked out the door. She slid her hands into her pockets. The ring was too big for her to put her gloves back on, and she didn’t want to take the ring off right now. It made her feel glamorous, at least for the long walk back to the mansion.

That night, Anne lay in bed at the estate and investigated her mirror ring. In her reflection, her chocolate eyes blinked back at her. “You’re important and worthy” Lucinda had said. Sentiments her stepmother or stepsister never expressed to her. She smiled. The old lady seemed odd, but so sweet to give her such a lovely piece of jewelry for just being nice. She placed the ring on her nightstand, rolled over, and drifted into a blissful sleep.

The next morning, one of the maids responsible for the downstairs area of the mansion called in sick. Anne happily changed her clothes, tied her hair into a ponytail, and began dusting and polishing in the library since Mr. Paul Brunetta was out. As she lifted the polish to spray it on the rag, she looked at her ring. “I’ll take you off for now,” she said aloud. “I don’t want the glass to get cloudy from the polish.” She slid the ring off her finger and dropped it into the little top pocket on her pink, homemade apron. Right next to her handkerchief. A few minutes later Anne answered a call on the intercom from upstairs then climbed the ladder to dust the top bookshelves. They had collected quite a bit of dust. When she felt a sneeze coming, she pulled out her handkerchief, and the ring flew out of her pocket and landed on the carpet behind the firewood rack by the fireplace.

***

Anne walked to the sink and washed the residue of the furniture polish from her hands. The staff hadn’t come for their lunch yet, so the kitchen was empty. She dried her hands and looked into her pocket. “Oh no! I lost my ring!” She leaned against the table. “I’ll need to backtrack.”   

***

Paul entered the library and shut the door. Time to review the payroll for the harvesters. He glanced at the fireplace. First, he would put another log on the fire. He felt chilled for some reason. He’d better not be getting a cold. He bent to retrieve a log, and something glinted. It was a ring. He plucked it from the carpet and examined it closer. The ring belonged to his aunt. How did it wind up here? Burglars have broken into her house at least twice that he knew about. If one of his staff had anything to do with his poor aunt’s break-ins or was connected in any way, he would fire them immediately. He would ask the staff, and most of them were probably in the kitchen eating their lunch.

***

“Do you know who owns this ring?” A smooth baritone voice said from the kitchen doorway.

Anne jumped at the sound. “Good God, you scared me!” She looked toward the doorway. He had to be Anthony’s older brother, Paul. He was tall, lean as a greyhound with hair as black as his younger brother’s. They looked so much alike. But this man’s hazel eyes glinted like polished silver. No warmth. Just shine.

Paul held the ring between his thumb and forefinger.

“I found it in my library behind the firewood rack.”

Ann breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh, thank you. It’s mine. I just realized I had lost it,” Anne said as she reached for it.

Paul curled his fingers around the ring and dropped his hand to his side. “And who are you?”

Anne lifted her chin and her ponytail swayed between her shoulder blades. “I’m the housekeeper.”

“Well, Miss Paolini, where did you get the lovely little bauble?”

“From a sweet old lady named Lucinda.”

“The stranger than strange town gypsy?” Paul gave her a suspicious look. “Why would she give you a ring?”

“I helped her with her shopping bags. I didn’t want to take it, but she insisted.”

At the sound of footsteps, they turned toward the opposite door.

Anthony appeared, looking debonair in a black three-piece suit. He looked at Paul and then smiled at Anne. “I see you’ve met my charming brother.”

“Hello Mr. Brunetta,” Anne said to Anthony. “Goodbye Mr. Brunetta,” she said to Paul. “I need to get back to my job.”

Paul watched Anne’s shapely backside as she retreated out the door that Anthony just entered.

Anthony chuckled. “Enjoy the view?”

“See you at dinner,” Paul said. He turned and returned to the library.

***

Anne walked down the hall toward the living room. She needed to check on the preparations for Mrs. Brunetta’s Red Cross meeting for the fundraiser she held every September. She looked at her hand. Paul never returned her ring. She wanted it back. She looked into the tiny mirror every day and repeated “important and worthy” to keep her inner demons away. She’d have to beard the lion in his den after dinner. He was holding a meeting now with a restauranteur client. Anne sighed. Great. Paul was her boss, but an extremely handsome and surly one. She had felt that spark of electricity between them but didn’t need any threats to her job or sanity.

***

“Here I go,” Anne said aloud. She carried her dirty dinner plate to the kitchen sink. She walked to the library and knocked on the heavy oak door.

“Come in,” Paul said. His voice sounded hoarse.

Anne tried to look casual. She still wore her cleaning clothes from this morning. She strolled to his mahogany desk and stopped in front of it. He was staring at an open laptop. He looked up at her. Her gaze connected with his, and this time the attraction felt like a punch in the gut.

“Please sit Miss Paolini. What can I do for you?”

“No, thank you, Mr. Brunetta. I just want my ring.”

“Does your magic ring make you shape shift or invisible?” Paul asked. He removed the ring from his top drawer and held it out to her.

Anne smiled. So, the surly man made a joke.

“That’s in fairy tales.”

Paul’s raised his eyebrows. “You don’t believe in fairy tales?”

Anne took the ring from his fingers, ensuring their fingertips didn’t touch. “No, I don’t. They’re for wishful thinkers.” She slipped the ring on her finger. The sunlight caught on the small square of glass and reflected the light. “I’ve learned to depend on myself.”

Paul nodded his head toward the ring. “I’m sorry about not giving it back earlier. My brother distracted me.”

“It’s okay, Mr. Brunetta. It happens to all of us.”

Paul smiled. “Call me Paul.”

“Call me Anne.”

Paul motioned to a chair. “Well, Anne, please sit.” His chair leather squeaked as he made the gesture.

Anne sat on the edge of an overstuffed chair.

“Are you finished planning my harvest masquerade party for next week? My mother bought the decorations that you requested.”

“Oh. Yes sir…uh, Paul.” Anne rubbed her sweaty palms on her thighs. Paul made her nervous, and she only just met the man. His hazel eyes twinkled at her.

“I wanted to tell you that there is a lady coming for something special.”  Paul said. He folded his hands on the top of his desk.
   
A lady? He must plan to introduce his girlfriend to everyone. Paul’s eyes mesmerized her and made her more nervous. “Certainly, Mr. Brunetta…Paul. What time will your special guest arrive?”

“At 8:00 o’clock. After she arrives, please show her to the library.” Strange request if you intend to introduce her to everyone.

“I also took the liberty to invite your family since I’ve been told that you haven’t had any visitors since you’ve come here. I found the address on your application. I hope you don’t mind.”

Her heart dropped. Anne sat forward. She never wanted Jane and Ilene to come to this house. “Paul, I really don’t… I… No, I don’t mind.”

“Good. That’s all I have for now. I need to get back to work too. I’ll see you later.”

“See you later.” Anne stood and walked to the door and then paused. She looked back at Paul. He busied himself with documents. She slipped through the door and it closed with a soft click.

***

The week had held pure torture for her. She had caught Paul’s silver gaze on her a lot but looked away quickly. When they occupied the same room, the sensual tension hung like a thick fog. Even when he wasn’t in the room, she still felt Paul’s intense gaze and felt herself blush.

At 8:00 p.m. sharp on Friday night, the doorbell rang. A tinkley tune wafted through the foyer in the crowded house.

Anne answered the door.

Lucinda stood on the threshold in a black cloak.

Anne gasped with surprise.

“Hello Miss Anne. It’s so nice to see you again.”

Anne smiled. “Come in Lucinda.” Anne moved aside, and Lucinda stepped inside.

“I didn’t know you worked for Mr. Brunetta.”

“Only for this one night. Oh Anne, you look so beautiful. Blue is your color.”

“Oh. Thank you.” Anne stroked her hand across her waist and fluffed the skirt.

“Are you Cinderella tonight?” Lucinda asked.

“I am. No harm in wishing for one night, right?”

Lucinda’s eyes twinkled. “Absolutely right. Tonight, I am the fortuneteller.”  

Ah ha. Paul’s special surprise. “Let me show you to the library.”

When they reached the library, the fire crackled and popped in the fireplace. Anne had built it an hour before to make the mystery guest feel comfortable. Her pleasure doubled when she learned it was Lucinda. She directed Lucinda to Paul’s large chair. It made her look even smaller.

“Can I get you anything?” Anne asked.

“Not right now.”

Anne stepped next to the desk and pointed to the intercom’s button for the kitchen. “If you change your mind, just buzz the kitchen.”

“Thank you.” Lucinda removed her tarot cards from her cloak and placed them on the desk.

“All right then. See you later.” Anne straightened and walked toward the door.

“Have a good night,” Lucinda called after her.

Anne heard the smile in her voice. But it wasn’t likely. Her family was invited. They hadn’t shown up yet, but they would. No doubt about it.

Thirty minutes later, as she helped the caterers ready the buffet, the doorbell rang again. Anne answered the door. Ilene and Jane stood there, dressed in purple and green Medieval Gothic gowns with matching half-face masks. They smiled cattily at her.

Anne stepped aside. “Come in.”

“Oh Anne! How appropriate that you’re Cinderella. Always the martyr,” Ilene said as she stepped over the threshold.

They inspected Anne like they were buying a prime roast.

“You’re looking well, Anne,” Jane said. She smirked. “Did you make your gown?”

“Yes, I did.”

“You must have mismeasured your waist,” Jane said. “It looks too tight.”

The waist wasn’t too tight. It was comfortable. Besides, these two should talk. They were cinched in tighter than the strings on a closed drawstring bag. “I’ll show you to the ballroom,” Anne said. The rustle of her skirt calmed her. The party invitation provided the perfect opportunity for Jane and Ilene to go on the hunt again for an available man for Jane. With lots of money, of course. She didn’t care. If they stayed out of her way and her life.

They entered the ballroom, and Jane’s gaze immediately fell on Paul, who looked so handsome and dashing as a buccaneer. Ilene glanced at Jane, and they both approached Paul. They spoke for a minute before the orchestra began to play again. Paul took Jane’s hand, and they joined the other couples on the dance floor. A wave of jealously surged through Anne. She and Paul’s gazes met over Jane’s head. Jane always was the “unafraid” one to flirt and make small talk. Anne turned and left the ballroom. She needed to speak to the caterer. The ham looked to be running low.

***

Paul found her in the large, front hallway, kneeling on the floor and cleaning up some flower petals that had dropped from a bouquet.

“Hello,” he said and reached down to help Anne up from the floor. “Do you ever stop working for 5 minutes?”

Anne clasped his hand. His rough, gentle hand radiated warmth and electricity straight through her glove. “Only on my day off,” she said. She almost couldn’t breathe. They stood so close, and the warmth of his body made her feel…lots of things.

Paul didn’t let go of her hand. “Will you at least have one dance with me? I know you’re the housekeeper, but you can have a little fun. This party is for everyone.”

“How was your dance with my stepsister?”

Paul’s eyes glowed. “I would enjoy a dance with her stepsister much, much more.”

“Sure. Just this one dance,” Anne said in a breathy voice and held up her index finger.

Paul lifted his arm, and Anne wrapped her arm through his. On the dance floor, they couldn’t take their eyes from each other.

“You’re so beautiful,” Paul said as they swirled around the floor.

“Thank you. You look so dashing as a buccaneer.”

Paul smiled. “I meant that you’re beautiful all the time.”

Anne blushed.

They finished the dance, and Anne reluctantly stepped from Paul’s arms. He clasped her hand on which she wore the mirror ring. It glinted in the light as he kissed her hand. “A perfect fit,” he murmured.

When Anne left the ballroom, Ilene stepped in front of her.

“That was a touching scene, my dear. I can only imagine the sob story you gave him.”

“I didn’t give him any sob story,” Anne said. “He doesn’t know my background.”

Ilene smirked. “Right. That’s why he knew where to send the invitation.”

Anne sighed. “What do you want Ilene? I’m terribly busy.”

Ilene looked at Anne’s mirror ring and then at Anne again. “Come home, and I’ll give you part of the inheritance.”

“No thanks. Not for all the money in the world.” Anne tried to brush past Ilene, but she grabbed her arm.

“Listen you witch. You should be grateful that I took care of you all those years. And now you don’t want to share your good luck.”

Anne yanked her arm from Ilene’s grasp. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Ilene grabbed Anne’s hand that had the ring and squeezed hard. “The master of this castle gave you that, didn’t he? I’m sure he’ll give you more if you give him…whatever he asks for. I saw the way he was looking at you while you were dancing.”

Anne almost spit in Ilene’s face. “You disgust me.”

Ilene slapped Anne across the face.

Lucinda gasped. Anne and Ilene turned toward her. Ilene released Anne’s hand.

“What in God’s name is the problem here?” Lucinda said.
 
“Nothing,” Anne said. “My stepmother was just leaving.”

“She was always such a smart mouth,” Ilene said. “She deserved it. I’ve had enough of her sarcasm.”

“Please leave,” Lucinda said to Ilene. She raked Ilene up and down with a cold gaze. “I don’t care what your excuse is.”

Ilene harumphed. “You have no control around here, you ugly hag.”

Lucinda raised her chin. “You have no idea how much power I have.”

Ilene stared at her for a few moments. “Fine.”

“Don’t forget Jane,” Anne said.

Ilene turned on her heels and returned to the ballroom.

Lucinda and Anne headed back toward the library.

“Thank you. I almost spit in her face,” Anne said.

“You’re welcome,” Lucinda said.

“Do you need something?” Anne asked. “You were walking toward the ballroom.”

They stopped at the library door.

“Yes, I’m hungry,” Lucinda said. “Quite a few people wanted their fortunes told.”

Anne clasped Lucinda’s hands. “Oh! What would you like? I’ll get it.”

Lucinda told her what she wanted, and Anne retrieved Lucinda’s food from the buffet. Anne looked around the ballroom. Ilene and Jane had left the party.  

***

Two hours later, Lucinda buzzed the kitchen.

“I’d like some tea please.”

“Be there in a few minutes,” Anne said into the intercom on the wall. She prepared the tray and headed toward the library. When she arrived, the library door stood open. The fire had burned low. The embers glowed in the grate. She walked through and nudged the door closed with her foot. She turned around. She didn’t see Lucinda, but Paul sat at the desk.

“Good evening Anne.” His deep voice caused her skin to tingle. “Set the tray down on the desk please.”

Anne complied and then looked around the room. “Where’s Lucinda?”
    
“My aunt went to her room.”

“Your aunt?”

“Yes. Actually, she is my great aunt.”

“I would have never guessed that she’s a relative on your mother’s side.”

“She isn’t. Lucinda is my late father’s aunt. She prefers to keep the fact that we’re related a secret.” Paul stood and walked around the desk. He leaned his slim hips on the corner. His buccaneer shirt stretched across his broad shoulders.

“Why?” Anne touched her fingers to her mirror ring.

“Because she thinks her gypsy roots and mine might cause the business to fail. People tend to think that gypsies are no-good people.” An ebony lock fell across his forehead. Paul chuckled. “But we gypsies know about wine.”

“I like Lucinda. Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me.” Anne stepped aside and clasped the tea tray. “I’ll take the tea to her room then.”

Paul moved like lightning. He stood and grabbed Anne’s wrist. “Do you like me?”

Anne let go of the tea tray and straightened to face him, breathless from his touch. “Yes, I do.”

Paul freed her wrist, but then wrapped his arm around her waist and drew her close. He wrapped his other hand around the nape of her neck. Anne placed her hands on his chest.

“Paul, I….”

Paul lowered his head and brought his lips closer to hers.

“Paul,” Anne whispered.

Paul closed the distance and his lips captured Anne’s. She wrapped her arms around his neck. Wisps of his hair tangled around her ring. His hard chest muscles crushed her breasts and his lips felt soft and warm. He deepened the kiss. His coarse chest hair underneath his shirt tickled her palms. Her body thrummed with his touch. She broke the kiss and stepped away.

“I have a houseful of guests to attend to,” Anne said. 

Paul grabbed Anne’s hand and brought her fingertips to his lips. The mirror ring glinted, and he lowered her hand to look at it.

“Meet me here when the party’s over,” he said. He raised his eyes and perused her face. His eyes twinkled. “Please, Anne.”

“I….sure.” Anne couldn’t resist her attraction to him anymore.

Paul stroked her cheek with his fingertips, and she moved her face into his palm. It felt rough and smelled faintly of grapes.
Anne grabbed his wrist and pulled his hand away. “See you later.” She turned and left the library. During the remainder of the evening, she couldn’t concentrate on anything. All she could think about was Paul and how good his body felt against hers.  

***

Anne removed her mask and set it next to the flowers on the table. Her stomach flip-flopped. By 1:00 a.m., all the guests had left the party and the mansion stood eerily quiet. Her footsteps echoed in the hallway as she walked toward the library. When she opened the door, the fire blazed again, and Paul sat in the chair in front of it with his long legs and black-booted feet stretched out toward the fireplace. He had removed all his buccaneer accessories and put them on the couch. The firelight played against his handsome profile.

“Welcome back,” Paul purred. “Come here Cinderella.”

Anne’s legs felt wobbly, but she walked to his chair and stood in front of him.

Paul clasped her hand and lifted it. He rubbed the mirror ring with his thumb. “You don’t need to talk to your reflection anymore.”

Anne’s eyebrows shot up. “How did you know that I did that?”

“I saw you do it in the hallway at least twice. When you thought no one was around.”

Anne blushed with embarrassment.

Paul snaked his arm around Anne’s waist. He drew her down onto his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“You’re a beautiful, kind and vibrant woman.” Paul whispered into Anne’s ear as he nuzzled her neck. “And I’ll tell you that from now on.”

Anne pulled her face back.

“Thank you, but …”  

“No buts, because it’s true.”

Anne held up her hand, fingers together, with mirror ring facing Paul. “It’s my good luck charm.” Anne chuckled. “Besides, it goes with the only two good outfits I own.”

Paul reached into his pocket and lifted another ring out with his thumb and forefinger.

“Will this ring go with your other outfits too?” Paul asked. “Miss Paolini, will you marry me?”

Anne gasped. “Yes, Mr. Brunetta,” she whispered. “I will marry you.”   

***

A week later at the kitchen table, Anne opened the newspaper. On the society page, she read that Jane had been arrested for stalking a recently single vintner that had attended the masquerade party. Anne laughed, and the other staff looked over her shoulder.

“That’s too funny,” Max, the chauffer, said.  

“I’m sure she deserved what happened to her,” Mary, one of the downstairs maids, said. “She was stuck-up and rude.”

Anne shook her head. Some people will never ever change.     



Brett Matthew West Prose Challenge contest entry


I started this story several years ago. Finally, for this contest, I just sat and finished it over several days. Fleshing out some details and completing the story was fun.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.