Supernatural Fiction posted November 24, 2020 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 41... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

My Valentine/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my portion of a chapter. It's new so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Have a happy holiday & enjoy!
Tessa’s eyelids flipped open when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. Goosebumps prickled over her skin as it slid down her arm, soft and featherlike. She turned her head and came face-to-face with the most gorgeous pair of blue eyes. The color practically glowed. The man they belonged to was even more spectacular. His expression was intense, a combination of desire and admiration.

As she gazed into Jace’s amazing baby blues, he glided his fingertips back up her arm and then toward her face. Ever so gently, he smoothed his hand down the side of her cheek and lower to her lips. Using his thumb, he brushed over her lower one and said, “You’re so beautiful, Tessa.”  
 
Before she could respond, he leaned in and pressed his mouth to hers. His kiss was tender, and his lips were warm against hers.

When he pulled back, she said, “Thanks for last night, honey. You made my Valentine’s day so special. Everything was perfect, especially the massage part.”

“You’re welcome, sweetheart.” He smiled. “And there’s more where that came from,” he tacked on, winking at her.

“Oh?” she said, arching a brow. “Well then, I may have to take you up on that offer.”

Suddenly, the cell phone on Tessa’s nightstand went off. Her attention was alerted by the ringtone, realizing it was Tim Ross calling. She glanced at the clock and noticed it was too early for anyone to be calling on a Sunday. 

Jace groaned as she went to reach for it.

Sorry, babe,” she said, looking at him with sad eyes. “This might be important.”

He nodded with his bottom lip puffed out.

Tessa swiped her phone to answer. “This is Tessa.”

There was a long pause of silence and going by the expression on Tessa’s face, whatever was being said on the other end didn’t appear good. Finally, she said, “Okay, we’ll meet you downstairs as soon as we get dressed.”

The minute she put the phone back on the nightstand, Jace said, “I get the feeling that wasn’t good news.”

She turned toward him with a concerned look on her face. “It’s Jena. She killed someone last night.”

Jace’s eyes rounded. “What? Who?”

“Apparently, Jena heard someone calling out for help last night,” Tessa started to explain. “She shifted into the creature and went to help them. When Jena followed the voices, it led her to an abandoned two-story house a few miles from here. A man had abducted a woman and her small child. Jena found the man trying to rape the woman and the child was tied up, witnessing her mother being attacked.”

“Oh my, God,” Jace gasped, rising from his pillow. “Are they okay?” 

Tessa nodded. “Jena got to them in the nick of time before—”

“Where’s Jena?” Jace asked as Tessa’s voice trailed off.

“She’s in her room resting. According to what Tim told me just now, when Jena came back, she led him, along with Nicolas, Drakon, and Jem to the two-story house. They helped clean up what was left of that man.”

Jace curled his upper lip. “Sounds like they had one hell of a bloody Valentine’s. So, why didn’t they tell us?”

Tessa shot him a half-smile. “Tim and the others didn’t want to ruin our night.”

“Well, that was pretty decent of them,” Jace said. “I can’t say I hate that we missed cleaning up after what Jena’s creature left behind. But, how in the world did Jena get past the security?”

“Tim said the guards sounded the alarms, but Jena was gone before they managed to go after her.”

“I wonder why we didn’t hear the alarms last night?” Jace said, scrunching his brows in question. 
 
Tessa smirked. “I think we had a little too much champagne. And I have to admit, it was rather nice getting some alone time. Since the twins were born, those days are far and few, not to mention it’s been a while since we had a good night’s rest.”

“Yeah,” Jace chuckled. “I guess you’re right. And last night, I slept like a rock.”

She leaned over and kissed him. “Come on, honey. Let’s get dressed. We’re supposed to meet Tim and the others downstairs in the kitchen for breakfast to discuss a few things. And Detective Manuel Sanchez and his partner Frank Perkins are joining us.”

Jace quickly got to his feet and said, “Good. I’m starving.”

As Tessa slipped out of bed to get dressed, Jace took notice of how her silk nightgown clung to her body. Although she was petite, she had curves in all the right places. God, she was beautiful. The sight of her nearly took his breath away.

It had only been a few years ago when they'd first met. Most of his life, Jace had been a player. He wasn't the settling down type, and it was true enough that he'd enjoyed his share of women. But the moment he laid eyes on Tessa, it blind-sided him. He felt powerfully drawn to her in a way he could not explain. It was as though they were destined for one another, bound by an unbreakable force. From then on, he was a one-woman man. Tessa was his heart, his beloved, his everything. Hell, according to him, she practically hung the damn moon. 

He called out to her, “Come here, sweetheart.”

When she faced him, she recognized the look in his eyes. It was the same look he gave her last night, right before they made love.

“Jace,” she groaned. “We don’t have time.”

“I know,” he said, motioning her over. “But can I get a hug first?”

Her brows pinched together. “You know where this will lead to, right?”

“Back to bed?” he said, wiggling his brows.   

“You’re incorrigible, you know.”

He gestured her over. “I promise. Just one little hug.”

As she got close to him, he put one arm around her waist and tugged her against him. Instantly, he buried his other hand in her hair and crushed his lips to hers. And it wasn’t just one little hug, nor a peck on the lips. He kissed her hungrily, so passionately, it ignited a desire she couldn’t resist.

“Jace…” she moaned against his lips.

He picked her up, easily lifting her legs over his arms. Tessa weighed less than nothing. She put her arms around his neck, letting her fingers slide through his long, blond waves.

A few seconds later, they were back in bed, tangled in a heat of passion.

To be continued. . .
 
 
           
         
              
 
 

 




A reference for terms, cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jena McCain - She is an artist with the odd ability to speak with the dead. After an age-old creature rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks her and infects her with a virus. Now that she is fated to be the thing that infected her, she will be forever stuck with a curse. Although she will hunt for human blood, she will only kill evil as voices of the innocent cry out to her for help.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He has been alive since the 1800s after he sold his soul in order to bring his brother back to the living. Now that he has fallen in love with Jena McCain, he dedicates his immortal life to guide her through her newfound curse.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.