General Fiction posted November 24, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
To change a life

Princess

by Sally Law


She was a beautiful butterfly, unlike any around her. Cast in the school play and only fourteen, she read the lines flawlessly, practicing with her father for weeks.

"Read it again, Daddy," she said, rather impatiently. "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon."

"I really need to go, Princess. We'll practice more later. I have a few deliveries to make. You know--to keep you clothed and fed. Any of that sound familiar?"

A look followed, and it wasn't princess pretty. "Daddy... please! You promised me!"

"I know, and I'm going to make it up to you, my girl."

"I'm not talking about the promise to read lines. The other promise."

Stewart Ray fought back his tears. "Just a few more of these deals, and I'm done. Swear to God."

"Daddy... mum is gone. All I have in this world is you, Aunt Tolly, and the red car."

"Princess, we'll pack up the convertible, and visit the Smithsonian during your winter break. You'll be finished with the play, and I'll be done with this lifestyle. Promise."

The plan sounded good, and the emotional exchange between father and daughter was put aside.

Stewart Ray was on the front row for the high school production of "Romeo and Juliet." He held a gift of yellow roses as he waved and smiled. Tears filled his eyes watching her become a young lady. One so humble, yet so accomplished. He marveled at how steady and gracefully she moved under the stage lights.

The proud father's cellphone vibrated from a number he recognized, prompting him to leave.

He signaled to his sister, Tolly, before slipping out the side door once the encore was called.

Princess brought down the house with her performance of Juliet, and was enthralled. Still, she was affected by her dad's early departure.

Aunt Tolly wrapped her in motherly care, and had arranged for a late-night dinner, adjusted for just the two of them.

It wasn't far, so they walked arm-in arm, giggling at Romeo's costume snafu. "I swear, Aunt Tolly, I almost lost it when my love came out dressed as Benvolio!"

The bistro offered outside seating, next to a roaring fire. Across the street was the city's historic park, all dressed for the holidays. Glistening lights draped from the oak trees, and a decorated Balsam Fir added to the Christmassy feel.

Many congratulations were given to the young Juliet. The restaurant's owner stopped by to give his best, along with a complementary dinner. "For your accomplishments, Miss Ray. Dinner on the house!"

"I'll have the usual," said Princess. "Organic, grass-fed beef only, and extra horseradish ketchup for the french fries!"

Eventually, the dessert tray came along with its chocolate temptations, but something farther on caught Princess' eye.

Across the street, a rare vintage car pulled in and parked. The hand-polished car was unmistakably her promised inheritance. Two men sat together in the front seat, talking.

"Aunt Tolly, isn't that Daddy's car?"

"Maybe he had business to attend," said the auntie.

"Business... oh, that's what you call it?"

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm trying as hard as I can to make sense of this. Your father has made the same promise to me for years."

"We're supposed to leave tomorrow, Aunt Tolly. I better get home and pack."

"But... you haven't finished your fries! How about a dessert?"

"I've lost my appetite."

The next day, Stewart was home, dressed and clean-shaven, with his duffle bag sitting by the front door. His eyes danced with sheer delight. However, the red convertible wasn't parked outside.

"Daddy... something happened. Your car is missing!"

"It's gone for good, Princess. So is the life associated with it. Now, pack up-- a taxi's coming. We're going to rent a car and go! How about a Dodge Charger?"

"Cooper Mini," she insisted with a kiss.



Recognized


Art: https://pixabay.com/photos/oldtimer-vintage-car-classic-cars-1224084/@pixabay.com

The car I had in mind while writing this story is a 1946 Ford Super Deluxe Convertible.

Club entry for the "Get it in Drive -- short short" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.