General Fiction posted November 22, 2020 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
V is for vendetta, viola, Vermont...

A chapter in the book Attack of the Fifty States

Attack of the 50 States: Vermont

by Bill Schott



The name Vermont is French for green mountains.  

Before Vermont became the 14th state, it existed as an independent nation for 14 years. 
The independent state of Vermont Republic was created after a revolt by Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys in 1770.

Vermont is one of the six New England states. The other five states are: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.


Vermont is the only New England state without direct access to the Atlantic.


The first postage stamp made in the U.S. was made in Brattleboro, Vermont in 1846.

Chester A. Arthur, the 21st President and Calvin Coolidge, the 30th President, were both born in Vermont. Both were vice presidents who stepped up after the death of the sitting presidents.

Thinking of Vermont reminds me of maple syrup.

The state is the largest producer of maple syrup in the country and 35 percent of market.  

Dummerston, Vermont is the birthplace of snow golf thanks to Rudyard Kipling, the author of The Jungle Book series, who invented the sport at his home, within the four years he lived in the United States. 

Vermont has the highest ratio of dairy cows in the United States.  At one point, it was home to more cows than humans.

 

Vermont’s Lake Champlain crosses national borders into Canada. It borders Vermont, New York, and Quebec and is the center of the region’s ecosystems.  It also has a monster in its depths named Champ. The Discovery Channel investigated the claim and, guess what, couldn't find him.


Wilson Bentley, a Vermont farmer, invented an advanced technique to capture snowflake images. His approach enhanced photographic precision as no two flakes are the same.

Legislators enacted a ban on billboards to preserve the state's natural beauty. 

One of the locals, Jake Burton, a former ski racer, designed and manufactured 'snurf' boards. Snowboarding is now a recognized sport.

Vermont stands out as a place with no skyscrapers. Its tallest building Decker Towers, in Burlington, has 11 stories and it stands 124 feet tall.

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream still operates from headquarters in Burlington, Vermont. 

Vermont’s largest employer is IBM.

Vermont became the last to get a Walmart store in 1996. 

Skiing is big in Vermont. Known as the "Beast of the East," the ski resort in Killington has a 3,050 feet vertical drop. The resort has seven peaks and it is also the highest lift serviced mountain in the state. It is the highest skiing elevation in Vermont (4,241 feet at the summit of Killington Peak.)



The Vermont Danby Quarry is the world’s largest underground marble quarry in the world. The quarry is entered through the same opening that has been in use for over 100 years.

 

The state has more than one hundred covered bridges; more than any other U.S state.

Vermont’s landscape is 77 percent forest. Its natural beauty attracts thousands of visitors to the state’s mountains, lakes, and hiking trails.


The state is home to two native tribes. The Iroquois: Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca;  and the Algonquin: Abenaki and Mohican.  Both inhabited vast areas in the Vermont area beginning in 8500 BC. There is a lot of history between these indigenous people and the Europeans, but - that will have to be another time.



 

 




Recognized


Image and info data from Googled sources on Vermont.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.